HomeAssistant Google Assistant & MyQ Integration Tutorial

jakkuh_t

Anyone looking to install Home Assistant on an existing machine, I recommend a supervised install. With it, the Duck DNS addon can be used for ddns and domain setup and automagically keeps your ssl certificate up-to-date with lets encrypt. There are lots of other handy addons as well including Wireguard and a self hosted version of Bitwarden password manager

https://github.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer

18 hours ago, tkdrob said:

If his internet goes down, nothing works. He'll have lots of fun explaining that to Yvonne

Internet nowadays is as reliable as electricity almost. So to be fair, the same could you say without the "smart" part. Do you think Yvone would be upset because she can't open the garage because the home power is off?

Exactly. Also, in my 18 last years I've come to an "off grid house" or to an "off internet house" maybe tops 10 times. So I think those days I can live with the fact that I have to park outside, or have to manually lift the door.

6 hours ago, alevale said:

Internet nowadays is as reliable as electricity almost. So to be fair, the same could you say without the "smart" part. Do you think Yvone would be upset because she can't open the garage because the home power is off?

Exactly. Also, in my 18 last years I've come to an "off grid house" or to an "off internet house" maybe tops 10 times. So I think those days I can live with the fact that I have to park outside, or have to manually lift the door.

If you find automation for your everyday life as fascinating as I do, you may find your viewpoint change. Collectively, relying on locally served home automation is best no matter how good internet is these days or in the future. 

Since I use Cloudflare for ddns and proxy, I just bought by domain from them. As far as I can tell their prices are competitive with other cheap registrars. It's always the popular top level domains that cost a lot of money unless you have a unique enough name. There are plenty of other TLDs to choose from to get a cheap domain name.

A note for the hass.io users. The ports in step 6 you have to forward in your router are not 80 -> 1880 and 443 -> 18443 but 80 -> 80 and 443 -> 443

When following the tutorial from Juan it is not nessesary to fill in the 443 ports. You can just use https://example.org/*url_thing_from_google/

I'm not sure if it my configuration, or maybe an update to HomeAssistant, but for my configuration I needed to enable websocket support within the nhinx proxy manager configuration in order to login / use the app successfully through my subdomain redirect.

So I've gotten most of this to work as intended, but when I attempt to connect through my domain, SSL hasn't been working, which also has kept me from adding Nest integration. HTTP works fine, just get SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR when I try to use HTTPS. Any ideas of where I should look first? My NginX container seems to have the certificates and proxy host configured right otherwise.

why dont you use SWAG instead of NGINX Proxy Manager ?? its way better and easy to set up and also all the revere proxy conf's for most dockers already there u only have to edit them with your port and docker name etc and they will all be running on a custom network (in my case i also named it swag)  

also if you want hassio its not a good idea to run home assistant in a docker just install it as a vm using  unraids HVM

here is a good tutorial on how you convert the vmdk to qcow2 and resize it so u can use it in unraid

image.pngimage.png.c0b8de9ddef49bad04e6526bb1fca5e6.png

Hint for people going the DIY Docker route - if both your HA and nginx proxy are in a Docker container on the same host, nginx will not be able to reach your HA server on your normal LAN address (192.168.x.x), instead the target for your proxy_pass directive must be the IP address of host PC in the Docker internal network. You can see it with "ip add" on the host. The symptom is that your nginx log shows that proxy connection to HA times out. Wasted like 4 hours on this 😄

Installed both without problems on a TerraMaster F2-221 NAS. It can run any Docker containers (need to start them from ssh connection). Used the official HA Docker container and https://github.com/JonasAlfredsson/docker-nginx-certbot for the Nginx proxy with build-in LetsEncrypt support. DDNS via free afraid.org domain was handled by the router from my ISP.

Awesome tutorial, Just set this up in an ubuntu virtual machine running from a freeNAS server.

Had a few issues with NGINX, Remember if doing it manually make sure you add proxy support in the config for the site (Woudnt let me login if accessing the interface via WAN)

Now to think of something I can actually do with it, Need some smart devices now!

Hi All,

I am having issues with the step "Link Home Assistant in the Google Home App".  When I choose my "[test] app", it successfully initiates an oauth flow to my home assistant instance.  After I enter my credentials, it successfully performs the android oath device url flow back to the Google Home app. However, after this process completes, I am brought back to the "Add a device" screen. What is the expected behavior here?

I told the Google Home App to "sync my devices", but nothing is pulled down to my phone.  Currently, I only have my android tv box hooked up to home assistant. Do I need some other devices in order to get this to work properly?

Thanks!

On 4/10/2021 at 4:07 PM, tkdrob said:

The dry contact sensor would be for anything Linus would do with an esp8266 or esp8285. The issue with any of these smart devices is when companies change their policies. Full DIY does not have those problems.

yeah, i suspect next time the MyQ integration breaks Linus will be looking for alternatives. Hopefully he goes the full DIY route.

On 4/11/2021 at 12:32 AM, RevoX86 said:

Another option to try is https://www.duckdns.org/, basically the same as FreeDNS

yeah, its also easier to setup with Home Assistant if you use an install method that supports add-ons, since there is a DuckDNS Add-on. 

• 2 months later...

Hi, I hope someone can help me. I am using UnraidOS with a HA-Core docker container and Cloudflare DDNS / NGinx as described in the tutorial. 

I was able to create an SSL cert and created the host proxy, but when I try to access the subdomain it errors out saying TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS. There was one second where it showed an NGINX screen saying something like "Congrats it works, you need to setup a host proxy to have this redirect" but then went back to TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS.

I appreciate any help, thanks!

• 3 months later...

When I set this up it required me to use add secure_devices_pin to the yaml file. Any one else have this issue? I can get the garage door to open but a pain to have to say pin

If it helps, using HomeAssistant in docker container and using HAproxy on pfsense.