Looking for a new mechanical keyboard, would like some recommendations

Minibeau

Hey, The last ~4 years i've been using the razer blackwidow ultimate 2016. lately I have been noticing that the keys sometimes come loose(numpad 0 and enter key). I also start to feel differences in actuation force.

I'm going to use the keyboard mainly for typing and gaming and i prefer clicky switches. I have been looking at DAS keyboards, but I'm open to any brand except for razer, since the keyboard i have been using isn't that great for the price i have paid and because of the software. the one from daskeyboard i was looking at is the das root 4.

Here a little list of what the keyboard must have:

• clicky or tactile
  • maximum price around 200 euro
  • full layout
  • if it has software, it has to be good software

Here a little list of nice to haves:

• rgb backlit

All recommendations are appreciated, I don't have much experience with mechanical keyboards, only the blackwidow.

One thing to keep in mind is that clicky and tactile are very different; even forgetting the obvious sound difference, a clicky switch generally has a much more pronounced and much sharper tactile bump. If you like clicky and haven't tried tactile, I would stick with clicky, especially as cheap clicky options stomp cheap tactile ones.

With that being said, I would consider a GMMK fullsize (barebones) with some Kailh BOX White (or Jade/Navy if you want something heavier and even clickier) and keycaps of your choosing.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

6 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

One thing to keep in mind is that clicky and tactile are very different; even forgetting the obvious sound difference, a clicky switch generally has a much more pronounced and much sharper tactile bump. If you like clicky and haven't tried tactile, I would stick with clicky, especially as cheap clicky options stomp cheap tactile ones.

With that being said, I would consider a GMMK fullsize (barebones) with some Kailh BOX White (or Jade/Navy if you want something heavier and even clickier) and keycaps of your choosing.

Hey, thanks for the response. I have tried mx browns before and i did like them, but i haven't had them as my main keys before. I'll look into your recommendation.

8 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I've been looking at it for a bit, found a site for the Kailh BOX keys(it sends from a country nearby so it saves me some money with shipping and customs). I was wondering though, does the GMMK fullsize (barebones) come with stabilizers? The pictures i've seen of it seem to have stabilizers shown on them but I want to know for sure before I buy everything and it doesn't come with stabilizers

2 hours ago, Minibeau said:

I've been looking at it for a bit, found a site for the Kailh BOX keys(it sends from a country nearby so it saves me some money with shipping and customs). I was wondering though, does the GMMK fullsize (barebones) come with stabilizers? The pictures i've seen of it seem to have stabilizers shown on them but I want to know for sure before I buy everything and it doesn't come with stabilizers

Yep GMMK (barbones) comes with stabilizers.

11 hours ago, Minibeau said:

I have tried mx browns before and i did like them

I would say that you haven't experienced tactile switches ... just really scratchy linear ...

I haven't tried a lot of tactile switches ... but I can say that within those I've tried the cherry mx brown are probably the worst I had. 

If you want tactile people recommended me the durock T1 ... so that might be one of my next purchase ...

So far I've tried the kailh box burnt orange (a bit round tactile bump), kailh speed copper (they have annoying spring ping), kailh silent box brown (really sharp and strong tactile bump) and cherry mx brown (barely even tactile, scratchy)

As for the kailh box white they are probably my favourite switch so far ...

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

Hey everyone, thanks for the recommendations. I've done quite a bit of research today based on your suggestions and I think I'm going to put together my own keyboard(barebones, switches and caps). After thinking about it I also think i want to make it tenkeyless and i'm going for the Kailh BOX Jade switches. I'm not sure for the caps yet, because it might change based on the barebones i'm going to buy. Anyone know of any TKL's for a reasonable price? If not I think i'm gonna go for Glorious PC Gaming Race The Glorious GMMK-TKL.