Vertical CPU waterblock

Go to solution Solved by bowrilla,
4 minutes ago, MarvintheParrot said:

So just to clarify, I CAN rotate it to make the fittings vertical, but I would get worse temps because the fins inside the block would not have direct contact to the CPU? And how bad temps are we talking? 40-50 range? Or something like 20-30?

Maybe. Depends on block and CPU. Probably not that much. I did the same with my Supremacy Evo block on my Zen+ chip and it's like single digit range, might be a bit more with Zen2 or Zen3. People will probably have already reported enough experiences on the web.

Hi! I was just wondering if the EKWB quantum velocity nickel and plexi waterblock can be positioned vertically on an AM4 motherboard. 

Having the inlet and outlet ports vertical will make my loop much easier and better looking.

If this question in unclear, please let me know!

Thanks!

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

10 minutes ago, MarvintheParrot said:

Hi! I was just wondering if the EKWB quantum velocity nickel and plexi waterblock can be positioned vertically on an AM4 motherboard. 

Having the inlet and outlet ports vertical will make my loop much easier and better looking.

If this question in unclear, please let me know!

Thanks!

Not sure but it will still mount correctly but you can try to open it up and move the block 90 degrees. Maybe ask EK support if that works. I would say yes but you will most likely have to take it apart.

You can disassemble it and rotate it. You might have worse temps though if the fins are not ideally placed on top of the chiplets.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

30 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

You can disassemble it and rotate it. You might have worse temps though if the fins are not ideally placed on top of the chiplets.

So just to clarify, I CAN rotate it to make the fittings vertical, but I would get worse temps because the fins inside the block would not have direct contact to the CPU? And how bad temps are we talking? 40-50 range? Or something like 20-30?

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

4 minutes ago, MarvintheParrot said:

Maybe. Depends on block and CPU. Probably not that much. I did the same with my Supremacy Evo block on my Zen+ chip and it's like single digit range, might be a bit more with Zen2 or Zen3. People will probably have already reported enough experiences on the web.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!