Troubleshooting GTX 1050 TI installation

MrSilverFox

Hello,

I bought a 1050 TI and have installed it in my older Gateway Dx4870. The computer is running a i3-2130 and when the graphics card isn't installed. Everything is fine.

But as soon as I plug in the graphics card and start the computer, i receive a 'no signal' on the monitor when plugged in to either the onboard graphics or the graphics card via both HDMI or VGA. I've tried to uninstall the Intel graphics and just have the Microsoft Basic Visual Adapter driver installed and then install it, but that hasn't worked. And I can't preinstall any Nvidia drivers because, well, when it's plugged in I get no graphic output.

I'm not sure why I can't get any display out of anything when I have the graphics card plugged in.

Thoughts?

Does your BIOS have Secure Boot enabled??? You might have to enable Legacy Boot and reinstall the graphics card to make it run. Had an issue like this with a HP p7-1534 when installing a graphics card, it would refuse to boot. 

This graphics card does indeed work otherwise??? Just to rule out its not defective. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Does your BIOS have Secure Boot enabled??? You might have to enable Legacy Boot and reinstall the graphics card to make it run. Had an issue like this with a HP p7-1534 when installing a graphics card, it would refuse to boot. 

This graphics card does indeed work otherwise??? Just to rule out its not defective. 

Hmm. I'll check BIOS for secure boot and see.

In regards to the graphics card...I really don't have a way to test it, like I don't have another machine I can plug it into to see if it works. I've actually never thought about testing a GPU before...Any ways to test if you're not sure it works on the machine. (I guess this is just potential future question asking here lol)

Just now, MrSilverFox said:

Hmm. I'll check BIOS for secure boot and see.

In regards to the graphics card...I really don't have a way to test it, like I don't have another machine I can plug it into to see if it works. I've actually never thought about testing a GPU before...Any ways to test if you're not sure it works on the machine. (I guess this is just potential future question asking here lol)

Definitely go ahead and check inside BIOS for secure boot. 

For testing the graphics card, the only real way to check to see if it's good is to plug it into a system and fire it up and see if there is any video. I'm not sure how manufacturers test it but they may have more advance QC systems in place than just plugging it in and turning it on. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

I'm just coming in for a sanity check: When you say VGA port, do you mean this port? Because if it has that exact port on it, it's not a 1050Ti which may very well be your problem.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

3 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

I'm just coming in for a sanity check: When you say VGA port, do you mean this port? Because if it has that exact port on it, it's not a 1050Ti which may very well be your problem.

Yeah. That is correct. It has DVI, VGA, HDMI out. Maybe that's what I get for buying from eBay then?

10 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Definitely go ahead and check inside BIOS for secure boot. 

For testing the graphics card, the only real way to check to see if it's good is to plug it into a system and fire it up and see if there is any video. I'm not sure how manufacturers test it but they may have more advance QC systems in place than just plugging it in and turning it on. 

Just tested with Secure Boot turned off, and still the same result. No output to anything. Unplugged GPU and picked back up immediately.

Wonder if it's something with the graphics card then...

1 minute ago, MrSilverFox said:

Yeah. That is correct. It has DVI, VGA, HDMI out. Maybe that's what I get for buying from eBay then?

Yeeeeeep, gotta be careful, especially with 1050Ti's. They're quite possibly the single most faked card on eBay.

Useful rule of thumb going forward: only older low-end cards came with VGA ports. The last one from Nvidia was the 750/750Ti, and I believe the last one from AMD was the HD 6670.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

8 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Yeeeeeep, gotta be careful, especially with 1050Ti's. They're quite possibly the single most faked card on eBay.

Useful rule of thumb going forward: only older low-end cards came with VGA ports. The last one from Nvidia was the 750/750Ti, and I believe the last one from AMD was the HD 6670.

Oof. Fair lol

Honestly, I just needed a cheap, low end graphics card anyways lol.

Like even if I could get this dang thing working in some aspect, then I would be fine.

But if that's the case. Maybe I'll try and return it as a defective piece for my money back and go from there and maybe see what I can get from like Newegg that's not more than like $300

15 minutes ago, MrSilverFox said:

Was it a card with this order of outputs?

image.png.682fc0d42922c7a8e88d01943e5c87bf.png

These are all fake Chinese scams hacked to make the PC think its a 1050 ti when in reality its like a GTS 450 or worse.

Dawid does tech stuff has a lot of these and they are also sold on wish

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

Just now, davemc said:

Was it a card with this order of outputs?

image.png.682fc0d42922c7a8e88d01943e5c87bf.png

These are all fake Chinese scams hacked to make the PC think its a 1050 ti when in reality its like a GTS 450 or worse.

Ahh, yeeep.
That looks like the one lol. Gooood stuff it seems then.

Just now, MrSilverFox said:

Ahh, yeeep.
That looks like the one lol. Gooood stuff it seems then.

Oof. Sorry about that, a lot of people buy these. The people behind these scams are absolutely terrible people and I hope they are someday banned from eBay. 

Some steps you could take is trying to get a return/refund and maybe contacting eBay to report the scammy seller

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, davemc said:

Oof. Sorry about that, a lot of people buy these. The people behind these scams are absolutely terrible people and I hope they are someday banned from eBay. 

Some steps you could take is trying to get a return/refund and maybe contacting eBay to report the scammy seller

Legit already doing it 😂

I appreciate the help here in the forum with this. I'm honestly more mad about myself troubleshooting this for about 5 hours today with this being the result lol

8 hours ago, MrSilverFox said:

Just tested with Secure Boot turned off, and still the same result. No output to anything. Unplugged GPU and picked back up immediately.

Wonder if it's something with the graphics card then...

Just woke up, I guess you got one of the fake 1050 Tis then...If it's eBay you purchased it from return it and get your money back.