Wifi connected without internet, except half the devices in my home are suffering from this

RainOfPain125

Title. This laptop that I'm writing this post with, is connected over 5G and works fine. My computer is connected over 5G and doesn't work fine. Same with my brothers phone, or the smart TV we have. From what I'm reading online, "wifi connected without internet" is either an individual client problem (cant be in this case, happening to different devices) or a router problem (which doesn't make sense, because if that were the case, it should be a total failure across all devices to send internet?)

Any ideas?

I have a similar problem with my router sometimes, it gets hung on trying to assign an IP address (never assigns one). This is for the 2.4GHz band, the 5GHz is usually fine, but for your case I would try doing a hard restart for the router first and then go from there.

5 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

I have a similar problem with my router sometimes, it gets hung on trying to assign an IP address (never assigns one). This is for the 2.4GHz band, the 5GHz is usually fine, but for your case I would try doing a hard restart for the router first and then go from there.

this sounds plausible but why would it have to reassign all the devices ip addresses lol

Normally routers use dynamic IP addresses instead of static, that can cause issues as well.

1 hour ago, RainOfPain125 said:

Any ideas?

1. What is the make/ model of the router?
  2. Do you have any other network devices? If so, please list.
  3. How far are your client devices from the wireless router? Any intervening walls or floors?
  4. What are the wireless settings that you are using on the router?
  5. Run a wireless survey using WiFi Analyzer (free from the MS Store) and post the channel output from the Analyze page for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

On a Windows PC where you have "Connected without Internet", open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" and post the output.  That'll tell us quickly if this is a DHCP problem or not.

On 4/1/2021 at 5:56 AM, Overtaxed said:

On a Windows PC where you have "Connected without Internet", open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" and post the output.  That'll tell us quickly if this is a DHCP problem or not.

Next time I'll do this, for now its OK. 🙂