R5 3600 + Liquid Freezer 240 temps sense check

FishCZ

Hi, recently I have built my first build.

After a week I had to dump the stock cooler (the temps were disgusting) and bought Arctic liquid freezer 240. 

Because I had some issues mounting the AiO into already built PC, I am a bit concerned about the temps I saw on the first rather short test. 

CPU was idling around 38-40 C and under 100% load (Folding@Home) it went to 67-70 C

Are these temps ok? I would expect them to be like 10 C lower. eg idling around 30 and 60. 

I run Ryzen 5 3600 - stock, no OC, yet. In 500 DX case, MSI B550 Tomahawk.

Other cooling setup: 3 stock Purewings 140 fans DC (came with the case). 2 mounted as an intake to the front, remaining in the back as exhaust. AIO is on top as exhaust.  

Pump is mounted according to a manual to a 1# AM4 standard mounting. The manual also mentions position #2 called AM4 Ryzen 3000/5000 offset mounting.

But with a note that it might interfere with mobo so I used the standard one as I thought that the #2 is optional. Now I am on doubt whether it was good judgement or not. 

I wonder what are your temps and which mount do you use.    

image.png.afd7823145746c229343d345a07619d1.png

Those temps were not normal, stock cooler should keep the 3600 around 61-65C under all core load. The AIO should perform better, maybe in the 50C range. I would check your mount pressure and thermal paste application. Personally, I screw the mounts with only my finger strength (no wrist strength) and tighten it to the max.

Full time technology enthusiast, part time IT.

Those temps are 100% normal and accurate for Ryzen 3000/5000 series CPUs. They run hotter at idle due to higher voltages for boosting and burst workloads. 67-70c under load like Folding is great temps honestly. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Those temps were not normal, stock cooler should keep the 3600 around 61-65C under all core load. The AIO should perform better, maybe in the 50C range. I would check your mount pressure and thermal paste application. Personally, I screw the mounts with only my finger strength (no wrist strength) and tighten it to the max.

yeah, I would expect these as well. but what is the root cause. wrong pump/block position as per the manual or just uneven paste spread and mount? 

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Those temps are 100% normal and accurate for Ryzen 3000/5000 series CPUs. They run hotter at idle due to higher voltages for boosting and burst workloads. 67-70c under load like Folding is great temps honestly. 

The problem is that the test was really quick as I had to get back to work. It did not have time to soak all the heat, so Im expecting temps over 70 after longer period of folding

Just now, FishCZ said:

The problem is that the test was really quick as I had to get back to work. It did not have time to soak all the heat, so Im expecting temps over 70 after longer period of folding

100% normal and fine. Non issue. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, FishCZ said:

yeah, I would expect these as well. but what is the root cause. wrong pump/block position as per the manual or just uneven paste spread and mount? 

I would try all the mount options you can, and make sure they are properly mounted.

Full time technology enthusiast, part time IT.

The offset mounting is better for cooling but it may interfere with some components on some motherboards so you can give it a try and see for yourself.

That said, these are normal temps. It's not that the cooler is weak, the thermal density on those CPU's is just way too large (too much heat focused into a small area) so it's really difficult to effectively dissipate the heat from such a small area.

Also what @Skiiwee29said is true in this case as well. The Ryzen can use high voltages when boosting, it's a normal behavior for these chips to get a high spiky temps. It's not really an issue. You should be able to lower your cooler fans speed and still achieve similar temperatures.

For comparison, I get over 80*C with Linpack with my Liquid Freezer II 360 and R9 3900X but the CPU also boosts higher than when I had Noctua NH-U12A on which it reached 95*C but on lower all-core load boost clocks. (stock)

39 minutes ago, WereCat said:

The offset mounting is better for cooling but it may interfere with some components on some motherboards so you can give it a try and see for yourself.

That said, these are normal temps. It's not that the cooler is weak, the thermal density on those CPU's is just way too large (too much heat focused into a small area) so it's really difficult to effectively dissipate the heat from such a small area.

Also what @Skiiwee29said is true in this case as well. The Ryzen can use high voltages when boosting, it's a normal behavior for these chips to get a high spiky temps. It's not really an issue. You should be able to lower your cooler fans speed and still achieve similar temperatures.

For comparison, I get over 80*C with Linpack with my Liquid Freezer II 360 and R9 3900X but the CPU also boosts higher than when I had Noctua NH-U12A on which it reached 95*C but on lower all-core load boost clocks. (stock)

Thanks a lot for calming me down. 

I was checking on the video from GamersNexus. He complained a lot about the mounting process requiring third hand, exactly my issue. I was not able to mount it with firm and even pressure. I was fighting backplate in one hand, pump and thumbscrew in the other. So it went like wobbly wabbly - done. Therefore I wasn't really sure that it is mounted well. 

Anyway, he shows his temps and its quite interesting. Load temp delta 50+ which I got, but interestingly, his Idle delta temp is 10+ however I am attacking almost double of that. This is weird, should something be off I would expect the load temp to be higher not idle.  image.thumb.png.8d15ef61ba565e08509f2e5a2840fda9.png

2 hours ago, FishCZ said:

Thanks a lot for calming me down. 

I was checking on the video from GamersNexus. He complained a lot about the mounting process requiring third hand, exactly my issue. I was not able to mount it with firm and even pressure. I was fighting backplate in one hand, pump and thumbscrew in the other. So it went like wobbly wabbly - done. Therefore I wasn't really sure that it is mounted well. 

Anyway, he shows his temps and its quite interesting. Load temp delta 50+ which I got, but interestingly, his Idle delta temp is 10+ however I am attacking almost double of that. This is weird, should something be off I would expect the load temp to be higher not idle.  image.thumb.png.8d15ef61ba565e08509f2e5a2840fda9.png

Because he is using manual settings for the clocks and voltage. And since he is using less voltage than stock he gets lower temps on idle as well.

My CPU almost always goes to 1.35V by default in all-core load, he is sitting at 1.219V.

And in single-core load it goes up to 1.5V but he is likely not higher than 1.25V because he is using manual voltage settings and gets voltage droop from LLC which results in significantly lower idle temps but at the cost of the clock speed which in this case is restricted to 4.2GHz because of the manual settings he uses for this particular test.