RX 6700 XT refecence edition mods/improvement

pani_alex

Wanna propose a topic just for this card for the people that wanna have better temps or lower noise, after seeing Gamers Nexus review that it's so much to improve, so you can see what others have done and choose your way without having to test to much what works better.

I don't see any other post, but if there is already one just delete this or put a reference and close this.

I still haven't done anything but have some questions, first, wich thermal pad, since i dont know wich one is the better, and where, just over the vram, also over the vrms, also gpu.

Have thought about the graphite thermal pad but seen to be electro conductive so no. Then have seen Grizzly Carbonaut but is to

Obs: one of the things that make me think of change the gpu is that i have seen a gpu memory junction temperature reaching and surpassing de 90ºC and i personally don't like it wherever it is. And the other is that my before gpu is a RX 560 😞 , i change the cooler (to a cpu with heatpipes) and i get so much cooling improvement that i was able to make max oc and not passing 60ºC but the 6700 XT already have heatpipes

So, comment and post photos of your solutions. Thanks

I installed the thermal pads on the backplate like gamer nexus suggested and i get about 8° better vram temps (before it was 92-94, now i get 84-86 fan about 65%, if i let it default, it will easy go over 100°),  watching his video i think it will also be possible to add thermal pads between the front plate and the gpu cooler just between the gpu two overlap each other, i dont know if the touch themselves and i don't wanna void the warranty, because it hava a sticker over the gpu cooler screw

Hi Alex,

That's great to hear, what's the thermal thickness did you use?

Planning to try as well, mine is around 100-102C right now.

Thanks!

The thing about AMD GPU default fan setting is, it's too slow in my honest opinion. I'd adjusted to a more aggressive fan curve for my  RX 6900 XT and Junction Temp's at about 83C. I don't care about fan noise when I game, my soundbar's right in front of me, so I favor good temps over noise.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R7 5700X3D (8C/16T) + TR Phantom Spirit 120 EVO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3600 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Logitech G915 + G303 Shroud Ed + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Logitech G613 + G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

• 6 months later...

Sorry for not take kare of my post, i dont really remember any more, i have 0.5 and 1mm thermal pads that i have bought from the cheap blue thermal pad, so i must to take it apart to check what i have done.

But here is a video in with he use a pad that it's supposed to be twice as much thermal conductivity as the cheap so far i have seen, and he use 2mm pads, maybe i have double 1mm, dont remember.

I also put some pad behind the gpu core

But im planing to make and upgrade (better pads install and maybe change the backplate for a 2mm copper plate), and when i do it i will take some picktures

Forgot to mention, i also make a case mod to avoid the hot air from the gpu and cpu to be reused, so from the 3 fan intake goes directly to the gpu and cpu and there is a cardboard that devids the inside case. The temps that i get right now are 72ºC mem temp with 20ºC room temp.

It also is a waste of money this kind of mod, because you could in first place buy a better card, but i like diy things

Oh, i remember now that there is plate behind the gpu cooler, dont know the name of that, lets call it the "fromtplate" (i was seeing a video from GamerNexus, it seems to be called the base plate, thanks Steve), it doesn't have contact with the real cooler but there is  just a little gap where they could have being contact surface around the core, so i added thermal paste there and remember having seeing also a reduction of temp