Unable to upload HD videos on YouTube

Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,
41 minutes ago, caincha said:

Mac here. What is it that you need exactly…?

Details of the file showing resolution and bitrate for it. Also, if you like to make file as optimized as possible, here are what YT is recommending https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171#zippy=%2Ccontainer-mp%2Caudio-codec-aac-lc%2Cvideo-codec-h%2Cframe-rate%2Cbitrate

My videos are HD - not 4K, perhaps not 1080p either but definitely not low-res - and yet every time I upload something the max I would get is 480p on YouTube.

I've seen/read elsewhere that it can take some time until YouTube servers actually get to the full resolution but I waited hours and yet nothing changed - I waited overnight and still the same low-res on YouTube.

I used HandBrake to compress the videos and save space on my drive but they are still HD and looks great on my 5K screen.

Am I doing something wrong? Could it be because the source file is 'compressed' MKV/MP4…?

26 minutes ago, caincha said:

My videos are HD - not 4K, perhaps not 1080p either but definitely not low-res - and yet every time I upload something the max I would get is 480p on YouTube.

I've seen/read elsewhere that it can take some time until YouTube servers actually get to the full resolution but I waited hours and yet nothing changed - I waited overnight and still the same low-res on YouTube.

I used HandBrake to compress the videos and save space on my drive but they are still HD and looks great on my 5K screen.

Am I doing something wrong? Could it be because the source file is 'compressed' MKV/MP4…?

what is your fps? if your resolution is not 4k or 1080p is it 720p?

28 minutes ago, caincha said:

Could it be your ISP is throttling your bandwidth?

21 minutes ago, MoJoMax said:

what is your fps? if your resolution is not 4k or 1080p is it 720p?

FPS is 29.97

How can I tell for sure if it is 720p? Not vast experience on the matter here I'm afraid…

And ISP should not be throttling anything. Even if it were I assume that should not have impact on the file uploaded…?

Right-click on the video while it's playing, and click 'stats for nerds'.  It will show all you want to know at the upper left corner.  

Edit -- for the video on youtube I mean.

Says 320x240 - this particular video is originally 480x360.

So even the low-res ones gets capped even further… This sooo frustrating…

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 2.41.41 PM.jpg

It might take 4-8 hours to get full resolution on YT. Depends on video size (bitrate), which server you use (your physical location) and how much stress there is on the service overall.

Can you post screenshot of Detail page for your video in Windows? Mainly checking the resolution and bitrate.

Once video is uploaded, its not in ISPs controls, your own connection will only effect the upload time. Which is why I shrink my files before uploading.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Can you post screenshot of Detail page for your video in Windows? Mainly checking the resolution and bitrate.

41 minutes ago, caincha said:

Details of the file showing resolution and bitrate for it. Also, if you like to make file as optimized as possible, here are what YT is recommending https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171#zippy=%2Ccontainer-mp%2Caudio-codec-aac-lc%2Cvideo-codec-h%2Cframe-rate%2Cbitrate

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Ah it might be bitrates and MKV files that are the issue… I'll fix that and come back here.

Thanks! 😄

Fired up Movavi, saved the file as 'highest' MP4 (it went from a few MBs to a couple GBs - no apparent change in quality though 🙄) and it worked. Now it does show up as HD on YouTube… 

9 hours ago, caincha said:

Fired up Movavi, saved the file as 'highest' MP4 (it went from a few MBs to a couple GBs - no apparent change in quality though 🙄) and it worked. Now it does show up as HD on YouTube… 

You can't really improve quality if the quality is not there already. Its not really upscaling as you aren't adding pixels, just more data.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 4/1/2021 at 10:47 PM, LogicalDrm said:

You can't really improve quality if the quality is not there already. Its not really upscaling as you aren't adding pixels, just more data.

Well the original file was a few MBs and when upscaled and de-noised (from 640x480 to 1280x960) it went to a few GBs but when that file was compressed with Handbrake it came back to a few MBs just a bit larger than the original file but a lot sharper.

I know near nothing about video compression but I do know a bit about audio compression so if it's similar it means human eye perception sees better image on the new compressed file but the system does not 'see' much better than the original file because the new file lost actual data when compressed…?

EDIT: I don't know if I mentioned but I am not just upscaling on a video editing tool Like Movavi. I used Movavi in this situation because the video had already ben enhanced previously - and to do that I am running Topaz Video Enhancer AI which I definitely recommend by the way. That software (and the photo ones) are truly something!

One month free trial with full features:

https://topazlabs.com/downloads/ref/936/?campaign=30DayFullFeaturesFreeTrial