Would I be pushing it?

aisle9
Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,
2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I’m about to move from Georgia to Minnesota. That’s exactly why I do not want another PSU lying around lol

give it a go then, since you already have the 450W unit, i'd wager 450W is more than enough

unless you're moving before you can order a new psu

I'm going back and forth and could use extra opinions. My PSU is a 450W Silverstone ST45SF SFX unit, so not the greatest thing ever, but capable of pumping out 450W and not a time bomb. I've had it for several years now and used it mostly on a Ryzen 5 1600 system without any issues. I have a Corsair SF600 80+ Gold unit on order, but if I can move those funds into more storage instead, that becomes tempting. Here's everything else:

i7-8086K (I won't be overclocking)

GTX 1070 FE (again, not overclocking)

Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi

WD SN750 1TB drive

Additional NVMe drive to be determined

One SATA III 2.5" SSD (again, exact model and size TBD-I might try to wedge a second one in if I can find a way in this case)

One 3.5" HDD (probably a 4TB Seagate Barracuda, but the PSU cost might swing this to 8TB)

NH-C14S cooler, four extra 120mm fans in there

Oh, and RAM.

PCPP pegs this at 350W, and I'm inclined to trust that. Just wanted a second opinion before I cancel the SF600 order to put that money into additional storage and wait for a sale on a 550-650W SFX PSU instead.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

PCPP pegs this at 350W, and I'm inclined to trust that.

pretty much yea

i'd put it around 350-400W as well

i'd give it a go, if it doesn't work then you can always order a psu then

unless you want a spare PSU anyways

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

pretty much yea

i'd put it around 350-400W as well

i'd give it a go, if it doesn't work then you can always order a psu then

unless you want a spare PSU anyways

I’m about to move from Georgia to Minnesota. That’s exactly why I do not want another PSU lying around lol

give it a go then, since you already have the 450W unit, i'd wager 450W is more than enough

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

Nah, not until July. I’ll probably track down my Kill-A-Watt at some point and mess around with it to make sure it’s staying below 400W under a stupid P95 + Unigine load. If it is, I’ll just table the PSU upgrade and buy myself a 2TB NVMe or 8 TB HDD instead 😄

Thanks, good to hear a second opinion. Now if my case would hurry up and arrive...

I’ll probably track down my Kill-A-Watt at some point and mess around with it to make sure it’s staying below 400W under a stupid P95 + Unigine load.

i would also fiddle with undervolting that 1070 too 👀 

GPU normally dont lose much perf down to 80% power limit, but runs quieter and cooler, and more efficient

12 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i would also fiddle with undervolting that 1070 too 👀 

GPU normally dont lose much perf down to 80% power limit, but runs quieter and cooler, and more efficient

That falls on the list of things I keep meaning to do but never do it. I undervolted my old Gaming X 1070 to mine and only ever brought it back up to about 90% before selling it. This card being a blower FE, dropping that power limit might not be a half bad idea at all.

I'm running a 5600X with a 1070 FE as well with the same PSU, no issues ever. The trouble might come if you want to upgrade to a 3070 or 6800 XT, that would probably push it over.

4 minutes ago, Sovek said:

I'm running a 5600X with a 1070 FE as well with the same PSU, no issues ever. The trouble might come if you want to upgrade to a 3070 or 6800 XT, that would probably push it over.

Yeah, a GPU upgrade would absolutely require a PSU upgrade.