CPU not going at the full speed like it used to do / low fps

Hello, I recently got a rtx 3070 aours and for some reason i dont get the fps i was supposed to get i think, basically i had a rx5700xt sapphire nitro pulse and fps was better, also the other 2 problems i have is that if you can see CPU MHz is only 4025, when i built my pc it used to stay constantly at 4.2 ghz , not it does not , sometimes it goes even under 4000 mhz, not only in COD but in other games as well, never hits 4.2 ghz maximum 4055 mhz and i dont understand why, also my GPU usage wont go over 80% the only game that does that is resident evil 3.

Can you guys please help me to fix the CPU to be back at 4.2 ghz? thank you . IT IS A R5 3600

image.png

you're most likely CPU single thread bound, judging by GPU usage

and given you switched from AMD to nvidia, this could be the cause:

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

you're most likely CPU single thread bound, judging by GPU usage

and given you switched from AMD to nvidia, this could be the cause:

hi, im not the smartest, what is CPU single thread bound, i dont really know, is that in the video ?

Just now, TonnyM said:

hi, im not the smartest, what is CPU single thread bound, i dont really know, is that in the video ?

CPU single thread bound means one of your CPU thread usage is extremely high (high 80s or 90s), since games prioritize a single core for their workload, that's typically the limiting factor

so your overall usage may be 50%, but if a single thread is at very high usage, that's likely the cause

im not sure if that's explained in the video, but the video highlight nvidia's driver exasterbating this issue by having more cpu usage than AMD's driver

CPU single thread bound means one of your CPU thread usage is extremely high (high 80s or 90s), since games prioritize a single core for their workload, that's typically the limiting factor

so your overall usage may be 50%, but if a single thread is at very high usage, that's likely the cause

im not sure if that's explained in the video, but the video highlight nvidia's driver exasterbating this issue by having more cpu usage than AMD's driver

i heard something about that , also i heard that they will fix it, kinda with some updates in May,.. so basically if that does not, i need a better cpu ?

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

also it used to hit 4.2 ghz with the rx 5700 xt as well. after i installed windows again it stopped, lost like 200 + mhz and i still didnt fix that

2 minutes ago, TonnyM said:

i heard something about that , also i heard that they will fix it, kinda with some updates in May,.. so basically if that does not, i need a better cpu ?

i've heard nothing on that, but i would be surprised if they didn't fix it and left it as is

2 minutes ago, TonnyM said:

also it used to hit 4.2 ghz with the rx 5700 xt as well. after i installed windows again it stopped, lost like 200 + mhz and i still didnt fix that

this could be down to how many cores were being utilised as AMD's cpu boost algorithm is quite complicated

i've heard nothing on that, but i would be surprised if they didn't fix it and left it as is

this could be down to how many cores were being utilised as AMD's cpu boost algorithm is quite complicated

Do you think i should get a AMD card? someone wants to trade a RX 6800 not XT version for my rtx 3070

1 minute ago, TonnyM said:

Do you think i should get a AMD card? someone wants to trade a RX 6800 not XT version for my rtx 3070

do you need RTX features like NVENC, Ray tracing, RTX broadcast and the likes?

3070 is still a very capable card, and have many features and more mature RT compared to radeon

the 6800 i think is better in rasterization, but that's about it (other than lower driver overhead too)

if nothing else matters, do check ebay sold listings to get an idea of the card's current market price, as sometimes u may be able to sell it and just buy a "scalper priced" 6800 non XT at lower value and saving some money

personally, i wouldnt bother unless it's really game breaking

7 hours ago, TonnyM said:

Can you guys please help me to fix the CPU to be back at 4.2 ghz? thank you . IT IS A R5 3600

I mean I understand that you believe it was higher clocked,  but that's not how Ryzen cpus work,  it will hit 4.0 *under load* if lucky... 4.2 is only during light workloads, and most likely not on all cores at the same time anyways. 

The thing is,  for almost all workloads this cpu is more than fine for a 3070... mine sits mostly between 10 and 25% while gaming for example.  More demanding games it'll go 50 maybe ...

20210326_025948.thumb.jpg.c4d370e92ffa28ce9fcc766e86befc9e.jpg

For example, this is a heavily single threaded (well,  dual threaded I guess) game, and still usage is really low even on the used cores,  that's also why it boosts above 4.0, because it's a very light task...

You really need to start checking cpu/ gpu, ram, vram, frequencies, voltages,etc during different workloads to understand how your computer works before you try to "fix" something that most likely doesn't need fixing. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity