Graphics card sounds like a jet engine

Garethwahlgren1
Go to solution Solved by seban,
4 minutes ago, Garethwahlgren1 said:

Hello I have a problem with my 2080ti it only happens when I’m playing games but basically it will run normally for a while but then every 5 min or so for about 15-30 seconds it gets insanely loud and sounds like it’s working really hard then slows down to a normal sound and then after 5 min for 15-30 it will do it again does anyone have any idea what’s wrong with it and how I could fix this problem? 

does that happen at idle or when you do something?

Edit: just read "only happens when im playing games"

Hello I have a problem with my 2080ti it only happens when I’m playing games but basically it will run normally for a while but then every 5 min or so for about 15-30 seconds it gets insanely loud and sounds like it’s working really hard then slows down to a normal sound and then after 5 min for 15-30 it will do it again does anyone have any idea what’s wrong with it and how I could fix this problem? 

4 minutes ago, Garethwahlgren1 said:

does that happen at idle or when you do something?

Edit: just read "only happens when im playing games"

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

Sounds like a strange factory fan curve, you can easily adjust that with MSI Afterburner or similar software.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

So It will just happen randomly or what feels like random but it always and only happens when I’m playing games never when I’m just watching YouTube or Netflix for example 

1 minute ago, Garethwahlgren1 said:

So It will just happen randomly or what feels like random but it always and only happens when I’m playing games never when I’m just watching YouTube or Netflix for example 

hey there, welcome to the forums

remember to quote or mention( @kelvinhall05 @1ppOverheat) when replying so that they'll see it

as for your issue, what temp is your GPU running at when it occurs?

what specific card is it? (ie, Asus TUF 2080ti, or MSI Gaming x 2080ti)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

@Moonzy oh right didn’t even realise I had to do that I’m so new at all this stuff  😕

uhhh so It’s a GeForce rtx 2080ti is that the type of card? I’m still learning all this kind of stuff so you’ll have to forgive me I feel like an old man trying to use a smart phone for the first time 🙂 

20 minutes ago, Garethwahlgren1 said:

So what my guess here is, that at a certain temperature point the fans ramp up to full speed until it cools the GPU down to another certain point.. so for example, the GPU stays at 66c under load and sometimes it fluctuates to like 68c or 70c and thats when it ramps up..

You probably never messed around with third-party softwares before, so it must be your VGA BIOS... do you know your exact GPU model?

3 minutes ago, Garethwahlgren1 said:

uhhh so It’s a GeForce rtx 2080ti is that the type of card? 

Halfway there 🙂 We need to know who made your video card -- if you look at the side of the card, it'll more then likely say "MSI" or "Gigabyte" or "PNY" or something else near the word "GeForce".  If you can take a picture for us, we might be able to tell from that as well.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

10 minutes ago, Garethwahlgren1 said:

uhhh so It’s a GeForce rtx 2080ti is that the type of card? I’m still learning all this kind of stuff so you’ll have to forgive me I feel like an old man trying to use a smart phone for the first time 🙂 

i see, it's okay we get all kinds of people here ^^

so you can first install MSI afterburner or HWinfo64, these softwares allows a user to monitor specific characteristics of your components

MSI afterburner:

Spoiler

You can install it and Rivatuner statistic server (it is a very handy tool to monitor statistics while you're gaming, you can opt out if this doesn't interest you)

image.png.037179f457d005b9d36c7229b14905d0.png

you might see something like this, or something very similar (they have many skins, but they'e functionally the same)

pay attention to the middle of it, you'll see "Temp", that's the temp of your GPU

for more specifics, you can click on the monitor symbol on the left to open up graphs that shows u more stuffs:

Spoiler

image.png.95cfcf4be9fb62cc1befd1e5e713a5a5.png

HWinfo64:

Spoiler

upon running it, you'll be greeted by this tiny window:

image.png.5e055696f12dfddb7c959a7d90e21656.png

click on "Sensors-only" since we're only interested in the sensors, then click Run

it'll load, and if it shows some error, just click do not monitor those sensors (some sensors dont like being read while operating, this is completely normal)

you should see something like this:

image.png.c8ea4c5ae3cae6c543286c4687da26af.png

you can scroll down until you find your GPU, and you should be able to tell even more info than MSI afterburner:

image.png.3d1d34296f703d4b42977b2d3702105c.png

either one is good enough for the job, for your case you may want to pick MSI afterburner for the simplicity, as HWinfo64 is for more geeky people

@1ppOverheat so yeah your right I have no idea what I’m doing with this kind of stuff I ordered this pc to be custom built a about 2 years ago and had no problems with with it until i downloaded an update for my drivers through the GeForce app as a friend told me I should update my drivers. I have no idea if that’s what might have caused this problem or not? When I ordered my pc I won’t lie I had no idea what I was really looking for I just kinda knew that at the time a 2080ti was a good graphics card and a i9 was a good processor so like a fool I kinda just chose them. For example I didn’t even know about processor cores or anything like that I had and still have knowledge of only the very basics in computers. A friend of mine told me about Msi afterburner and got me to download it but as I know nothing I have no idea how I should have it set up but I do know that when I am playing a game like the Witcher 3 for example the problem does stop so I think your right on it being a temp thing. Unfortunately I don’t know the exact model how would I find that out? 

1 minute ago, Garethwahlgren1 said:

had no problems with with it until i downloaded an update for my drivers through the GeForce app

You can try reverting to the previous Driver version by following these steps:

1. Go to you Windows search bar and type "Device Manager"

2. Look for the "Display adaptors" tab and click on it, then right click on your GPU (It should say NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti) and click on Properties

3. Look for a "Driver" tab in the Properties and click on it

4. There should be a "Roll Back Driver" option, click on that and follow the next steps you get provided by

Note: If its greyed out, let me know and i'll tell you another way to revert the driver version.

3 minutes ago, 1ppOverheat said:

You can try reverting to the previous Driver version by following these steps:

1. Go to you Windows search bar and type "Device Manager"

2. Look for the "Display adaptors" tab and click on it, then right click on your GPU (It should say NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti) and click on Properties

3. Look for a "Driver" tab in the Properties and click on it

4. There should be a "Roll Back Driver" option, click on that and follow the next steps you get provided by

Note: If its greyed out, let me know and i'll tell you another way to revert the driver version.

i would recommend he use DDU, tbh

Download DDU and get the latest driver from nvidia

unplug/disconnect from internet (prevent windows from doing its thing)

run DDU and install the driver you downloaded from nvidia

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i would recommend he use DDU, tbh

Download DDU and get the latest driver from nvidia

unplug/disconnect from internet (prevent windows from doing its thing)

run DDU and install the driver you downloaded from nvidia

Yeah, i figured that my way would probably be more user-friendly

This is also another great way to do that @Garethwahlgren1

one thing that happened with my 2080ti was that the fans would go to 100% sometimes, even when the temperature wasn't redlining and it was because the themal paste was badly applied and one bit of the die was getting too hot..

i had to manually repaste the gpu and all was fine after that...

this was an evga 2080ti black gaming edition.

@1ppOverheatyeah it’s greyed out for me. I didn’t even know this all existed. I should have just stuck to an Xbox lol 😄 

@Rybo so I can’t see anything next else written on my graphics card. 

@Moonzy ok so what is DDU? And could it have been the update to my drivers that’s caused this problem with my gpu? And if I did nothing (which I’m not planning on doing I would definitely to sort it because it’s kind of annoying tbh) would it damage my graphics card? 

@1ppOverheatyeah it’s greyed out for me. I didn’t even know this all existed. I should have just stuck to an Xbox lol 😄 

@Rybo so I can’t see anything next else written on my graphics card. 

@Moonzy ok so what is DDU? And could it have been the update to my drivers that’s caused this problem with my gpu? And if I did nothing (which I’m not planning on doing I would definitely to sort it because it’s kind of annoying tbh) would it damage my graphics card? 

Oh okay nevermind, then i recommend following @Moonzy's steps.

Good luck dude, you'll get it fixed.

Edit: Also, don't forget to read @Pharazon001's reply

@Moonzy ok so what is DDU?

it is a third party tool developed to uninstall your display drivers

because windows doesnt clean it properly (the settings especially, windows likes to leave config files behind so it applies the same setting when you reinstall the drivers, which may be what's causing the issue in the first place)

DDU will clean every bit of the display driver, i use it personally so i can vouch for it

would it damage my graphics card?

never have i heard of DDU damaging cards, only black screen after removing driver because no driver (but a restart should initiate window's basic display driver to kick in and allows you to see stuffs)

but i myself never had any issue including black screen, never had it before

you can leave it as is, the chances of it damaging something is minimal (fans ramping up and down)

only downside is probably annoyance, but it could also signify an underlying issue so i would recommend you look into it

but modern tech will throttle and shut itself off to prevent damage, so you can rest easy (there's still a chance of it damaging itself, but it's quite rare)

Just now, Garethwahlgren1 said:

@1ppOverheat @Moonzy ok I will download DDU then and see if that sorts it I will let you know if it works thanks guys I appreciate the help. 🙂 

No problem