Respondus Lockdown Browser

Hey guys, I'm new here. Just wanna ask if respondus lockdown browser is legit or not? 

4 minutes ago, Otwweepp said:

Hey guys, I'm new here. Just wanna ask if respondus lockdown browser is legit or not? 

It is a piece of shit browser that school are employing to do online tests in lockdown. Protest it as much as you can, it is pratically a virus. Ever had a program that literally disables the ability to shut down the computer without pulling the power? No? Well that is one of the many thing that Respondus does. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

Is it legit? Technically, yes. But is it a massive invasion of privacy, huge security risk, and extremely unethical for students to be forced to use it? Absolutely.

As said above, protest it as much as possible.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I used it on my old laptop. It practically prevented me from shutting down and had to do some recovery stuff. After my school ended last year, i uninstalled and formatted my pc. 

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

If you have to use it, SET UP A WINDOWS VM! That would meant that once yo install it, you dont have to deal with a security/privacy risk. 

Encrypt all personal data you cant let be seen (like if you have  a password text file)

Sue school /s

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

If you are being required to use it on your personal desktop, buy a used HDD of a small capacity, like a really old drive of less than 400 GB. Install windows on it (unlicensed), and install as little as possible else on it just to keep it running at its fastest speeds. Install Respondus, and make sure to have everything unplugged except for keyboard, mouse, and your monitor. I would also suggest a VPN, but it wouldn't suprise me if Respondus blocks VPN connections. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

If you have to use it, SET UP A WINDOWS VM! That would meant that once yo install it, you dont have to deal with a security/privacy risk. 

Encrypt all personal data you cant let be seen (like if you have  a password text file)

Sue school /s

Respondus has a ton of anti-VM code in it. And it has been gaining more ever since I saw SOG's video on it. But it could have also been because he was virtualizing Windows inside of Linux. Maybe you would have better luck virtualizing another instance of windows inside windows. 

9 minutes ago, Nathanpete said:

It is a piece of shit browser that school are employing to do online tests in lockdown. Protest it as much as you can, it is pratically a virus. Ever had a program that literally disables the ability to shut down the computer without pulling the power? No? Well that is one of the many thing that Respondus does. 

6 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Is it legit? Technically, yes. But is it a massive invasion of privacy, huge security risk, and extremely unethical for students to be forced to use it? Absolutely.

As said above, protest it as much as possible.

Incidentally, I notice that they market it as allowing students to take the test on "their favourite device". OK, let's have a look at your compatibility list.... oh.

Windows 10 and macOS, and iPads if you're lucky. 

So let's just casually ignore the fact that a lot of people have Android tablets or Chromebooks, and some people have systems running Linux or even old versions of Windows. Everyone's favourite device is a recent Windows machine, a Mac, or an iPad now!!!

And, as said below, don't bother try running it in Wine or VMware or anything like that!

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

According to their support pages it seems to have VM/emulation detection as well. Ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Nathanpete said:

Respondus has a ton of anti-VM code in it. 

How exactly does it work? Some VM detection works by just reading device names from the registry and seeing if they contain the name of a virtualisation program; that's very easy to circumvent.

I should add at this point that I don't condone cheating on exams; I just find the technicalities of this kind of thing very interesting, and also agree that this sort of software is a horrible privacy violation.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Some VM detection works by just reading device names from the registry and seeing if they contain the name of a virtualisation program; that's very easy to circumvent.

I can almost guarantee it is something like this that is easy to change; the software just looks for any default device/hardware names that are automatically assigned by your VM software.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

According to their support pages it seems to have VM/emulation detection as well. Ridiculous.

How exactly does it work? Some VM detection works by just reading device names from the registry and seeing if they contain the name of a virtualisation program; that's very easy to circumvent.

I should add at this point that I don't condone cheating on exams; I just find the technicalities of this kind of thing very interesting, and also agree that this sort of software is a horrible privacy violation.

I don't exactly remember, but when Mutahar was attempting to run it inside a virtualized W10 under Arch Linux, I don't think he was successful, and he is pretty good in terms of virtualization knowledge. By far not the best, but better than I ever expect to be. Even if he was, he is popular enough that Respondus prob took notice and updated their anti-VM code to be more sensitive. 

At this point I would argue that it would take less time to format and installs windows to a 2010 laptop HDD and install Lockdown then it would be to successfully virtualize the Lockdown browser. Unless you are already well versed in virtualization, in which case it is a coin toss if you would beat me in this race or not. 

9 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

If you have to use it, SET UP A WINDOWS VM!

I thought you can't because the software knows you're using a VM and blocks it and alerts your school that you are using a VM.

At least according to this video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgZlQbDY6QA 

None of my professors so far have used it on exams but I know my school has the software. I have had to use Proctorio before which is a Chrome extension. Maybe that could be run in a VM? I don't know I never tried it.

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

Digging through various web pages on Respondus's website seems to suggest various software that it will refuse to coexist with, even if not running.

This suggests that it's actually looking through the filing system.

(I had previously assumed it was similar to, for example, in-game anticheat, and checked what was in RAM but not on disk).

Another massive privacy violation.

If you have a desktop, I definitely agree with getting a cheap extra disk and running it on there (obviously without leaving your other drives plugged in!)

Alternatively does Windows do a live ISO like most Linux distributions do? If so, and replacing your drive temporarily isn't practical, use that. (I would suggest using one of the aforementioned Linux ISOs, but... y'know....)

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

31 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Alternatively does Windows do a live ISO like most Linux distributions do? If so, and replacing your drive temporarily isn't practical, use that

technically you can, but it would be painful.

also you would need loke a 64gb usb.

MY school uses go garudian, which is active at all times on any pc you sync your account to. 

luckily, I have a Chromebook of my own that I use at home

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler