Looking for ideas to cover a glass top desk

steelo

Hey everyone,

I apologize firsthand if this post is not in the correct section...

I have a glass desk, which doesn't look bad. However, it drives me crazy being able to see all of the cables from the top. What do you think would be the best option in making the top non-transparent. Of course, if you have other ideas, please mention them! =)

1. Glass spray paint - probably the easiest to REALLY screw up. I'd paint the underside, but have to worry about removing the glass from the legs without breaking it

2. Making a fabric desktop cut out to the shape of the desk. I would use wood or cardboard to add weight and stich fabric around it

3. Buying a pad (if I can find one large enough to fit the entire desk) and cutting it to shape - This also can get very expensive

4. Cut a 1/8" piece of plywood to shape, sanding it and painting it. I fear however that it will be difficult to find lumber that will sit perfectly flat on top of the desk.

This will probably just be painted plain jane matte black.

-> Moved to Peripherals

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Vinyl wrap?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Sign vinyl (removable) from a sign shop and cut to fit. Lots of colors available. It's also pretty cheap.

14 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

Sign vinyl (removable) from a sign shop and cut to fit. Lots of colors available. It's also pretty cheap.

Would you know if vinyl meant for a cricut machine would work? This table is oblong shaped, so I worry about being able to get the vinyl on there without it creasing or creating wrinkles...

Yes that should work. Apply it to the underside pf the glass if you want. Tape it sown along one edge and peel the liner off slowly while squeegeeing it down starting from the taped down edge. Google how to apply vinyl signs. I do this quite often and there there is no creases or air bubbles.. Use a credit card or get a vinyl application squeegee from a sign shop, about $2 and ask them how to apply the vinyl. You can also spray thr vinyl with a very weak water and dish soap solution so you can reposition it if needed before squeegeeing it down. I prefer dry application to minimise air bubbles. Good Luck.

1 hour ago, LWM723 said:

Yes that should work. Apply it to the underside pf the glass if you want. Tape it sown along one edge and peel the liner off slowly while squeegeeing it down starting from the taped down edge. Google how to apply vinyl signs. I do this quite often and there there is no creases or air bubbles.. Use a credit card or get a vinyl application squeegee from a sign shop, about $2 and ask them how to apply the vinyl. You can also spray thr vinyl with a very weak water and dish soap solution so you can reposition it if needed before squeegeeing it down. I prefer dry application to minimise air bubbles. Good Luck.

Thanks!