I7-8700K gets pinned at 100c on a NZXT Kraken X73 AIO At STOCK!!!!

Spearlight
5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Second(?  Lower pic) one has better coverage than the first one but might be too thin.  Spillover is messy but it doesn’t actually hurt anything.  Paste is relatively cheap.  I don’t get the whole spreader thing.  I suspect no spreader is actually better because it means a lower chance of air bubbles. Of course that change might be zero either way. Still no significant difference.  Why make a messy spatula for no reason?  You want to play with goo they have body wash and bathtubs for that. Go nuts.

Well I was thinking of it spreading into the socket the Lower photo is the one with the thermal paste “spreaded” more

4 minutes ago, Spearlight said:

Well I was thinking of it spreading into the socket the Lower photo is the one with the thermal paste “spreaded” more

Thermal paste should be cleaned off completely and reapplied new every time.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Thermal paste should be cleaned off completely and reapplied new every time.  

Anything else I should do beside replay thermal paste??

1 minute ago, Spearlight said:

Anything else I should do beside replay thermal paste??

The old advice was clean everything completely.  High molarity alcohol is a good solvent for this because it evaporates completely and is less toxic than other solvents that will do the same job.  Other things will work though.   There should be a bunch of different videos on application of thermal paste.  GN has some attitudes about it that are kind of funny. Dude gets his paste for free so ridiculous over application doesn’t actually cost him anything though it doesn’t hurt anything either.  There are pics of the guy squeezing half a tube onto an ihs. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The old advice was clean everything completely.  High molarity alcohol is a good solvent for this because it evaporates completely and is less toxic than other solvents that will do the same job.  Other things will work though.   There should be a bunch of different videos on application of thermal paste.  GN has some attitudes about it that are kind of funny. Dude gets his paste for free so ridiculous over application doesn’t actually cost him anything though it doesn’t hurt anything either.  There are pics of the guy squeezing half a tube onto an ihs. 

So getting thermal paste into the socket if it happened does nothing?????????

30 minutes ago, Spearlight said:

So getting thermal paste into the socket if it happened does nothing?????????

Not much.  At least for PGA. If the stuff is conductive it can cause all kinds of problems.     If you’re using, say, liquid metal it can be a really big really bad deal.  Regular non conductive Paste isn’t water though. There isn’t much capillary action. So if the cpu is in the socket (which it will always be for this) there’s basically no way to foul the pins in the first place. The only place it will go is around the outside of the socket where it basically doesn’t do anything. So not a big deal for LGA either though I suppose it could be a tad more sensitive.

Edited by Bombastinator

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Not much.  At least for PGA. If the stuff is conductive it can cause all kinds of problems.     If you’re using, say, liquid metal it can be a really big really bad deal.  Regular non conductive Paste isn’t water though. There isn’t much capillary action. So if the cpu is in the socket (which it will always be for this) there’s basically no way to foul the pins in the first place. The only place it will go is around the outside of the socket where it basically doesn’t do anything. So not a big deal for LGA either though I suppose it could be a tad more sensitive.

so i give short answer only drop like 5c now it sit in the 95c soooooo fuck

1 minute ago, Spearlight said:

so i give short answer only drop like 5c now it sit in the 95c soooooo fuck

So some movement but not much.  That is interesting.  Mount wasn’t good but it may not have been the primary problem either. A lots of paste mount is a guaranteed “meh” mount.  Too much is better than not enough by a decent bit but it’s still not amazing.   It takes the mount out of the equation though that’s still waaay too hot. 

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

So some movement but not much.  That is interesting.  Mount wasn’t good but it may not have been the primary problem either. A lots of paste mount is a guaranteed “meh” mount.  Too much is better than not enough by a decent bit but it’s still not amazing.   It takes the mount out of the equation though that’s still waaay too hot. 

any other idea's??

any other idea's??

There were a few in the thread that weren’t bad.  Making sure the pump was pumping would be one.  Someone mentioned a delid I think.  I’ve never been brave enough to do one of those myself.  Doesn’t mean they’re wrong though.

i can send off i guess to silicon lottery if i wanted to do a delid https://siliconlottery.com/collections/sl/products/delid?variant=19733401272406 and looks like that will may become a possibility

They’d be happy to see it if they’re still open. I’m not seeing a single thing they’re not totally sold out of.  No inventory means no business

They’d be happy to see it if they’re still open. I’m not seeing a single thing they’re not totally sold out of.  No inventory means no business

i mean like i can send my cpu off for them to delied for 40$

8 minutes ago, Spearlight said:

i mean like i can send my cpu off for them to delied for 40$

My suspicion is that just a little cheaper than the tool to do it, but you get someone that’s done it before so it’s worth it I would think.  When are you going to see another cpu of that vintage you could use such a tool on?  

My suspicion is that just a little cheaper than the tool to do it, but you get someone that’s done it before so it’s worth it I would think.  When are you going to see another cpu of that vintage you could use such a tool on?  

am not gonna attempt lol

OK there's a lot of things going on here. So I'll try to keep things short

• 8700K on STOCK should not be even going near those temps even with a basic cooler, nvm a 360mm AIO.
  • All things point to a Bad mount, Bad AIO/pump or Stupid Motherboard

Checklist
1. AIO Pump running or not(touching tubes would tell you any bout coolant movement)
2. Clear BIOS and keep everything default then stress-test
3. If 1&2 don't help then remount AIO with new paste. A lil excess paste doesn't hurt(unless electrically conductive). Apply paste just a blob in the middle, or use GamerNexus's "2 CM line down the middle" process
4. IF 1,2&3 still doesn't solve/help identify the problem then test both AIO and CPU with different components... maybe a friends house or something. CPU can be a issue but that probability is ridiculously low.

8700K really shouldn't need a delid unless pushing close/over 5Ghz

Lastly, if you decide to use it as is, then a more reasonable OC would be 1.22-1.25 for stock.

I keep my 8700k All core OC @ 1.25v & 4.7Ghz during summer and 1.28v & 4.8Ghz. I'm using a Non Delid 8700K with cheapo 120mm AIO from Cooler Master, and don't even get me started on the case..... not to mention my AIO isn't even technically inside the case. CPU temps under load are 80ish in summer and <70*C in winter. room temp during same would be 35-40 during summer and 10-20 during winter.

As I'm writing this room temp is somewhere in 32*C while outside its 35*C.

Added my Case pic if you really wanna make yourself cry

IMG-20181029-WA0001.jpg

Edited by aliasdred
added more to comment

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 4:57 AM, aliasdred said:

OK there's a lot of things going on here. So I'll try to keep things short

• 8700K on STOCK should not be even going near those temps even with a basic cooler, nvm a 360mm AIO.
  • All things point to a Bad mount, Bad AIO/pump or Stupid Motherboard

Checklist
1. AIO Pump running or not(touching tubes would tell you any bout coolant movement)
2. Clear BIOS and keep everything default then stress-test
3. If 1&2 don't help then remount AIO with new paste. A lil excess paste doesn't hurt(unless electrically conductive). Apply paste just a blob in the middle, or use GamerNexus's "2 CM line down the middle" process
4. IF 1,2&3 still doesn't solve/help identify the problem then test both AIO and CPU with different components... maybe a friends house or something. CPU can be a issue but that probability is ridiculously low.

8700K really shouldn't need a delid unless pushing close/over 5Ghz

Lastly, if you decide to use it as is, then a more reasonable OC would be 1.22-1.25 for stock.

I keep my 8700k All core OC @ 1.25v & 4.7Ghz during summer and 1.28v & 4.8Ghz. I'm using a Non Delid 8700K with cheapo 120mm AIO from Cooler Master, and don't even get me started on the case..... not to mention my AIO isn't even technically inside the case. CPU temps under load are 80ish in summer and <70*C in winter. room temp during same would be 35-40 during summer and 10-20 during winter.

As I'm writing this room temp is somewhere in 32*C while outside its 35*C.

Added my Case pic if you really wanna make yourself cry

IMG-20181029-WA0001.jpg

sorry been busy but i have pretty much redone the thermal paste redone the remount i have done the BIOS clear and left at default but that was a few months ago. unfortunately i can't change out parts or nothing don't know or not friends with anyone with same specs or near. also side not i got alot of crashes while playing one game Space engineers i mean my pc hard crashes goes to blue screen most of them are driver issues but i have the first time i got one i updated it and still crashed like 4 or 5 times during my 16 hour gaming session (i know lol) but i looked at GPU,CPU,M.2 NVMe and temps were okay nothing to cause a crash but i haven't feel tested it but only seems to crash in that game haven't had any longer gaming session in other games soooo. this pc is becoming much like a car huh lmao seems like lol.

now i have also noticed that when running the cinebench it putting 1.312V to the CPU not i have set to manual do 1.25v i believe so i don't know if that has to do with anything as more voltage means more heat but i don't understand why if i have it set to 1.25v it seeing 1.367v if i am looking at the correct "probe?". I am using the HWiNFO64 to montior Vcore. Again sorry for the extremely late replays been a bit busy and sorta forgot about this for a few sorry :(((

37 minutes ago, Spearlight said:

sorry been busy but i have pretty much redone the thermal paste redone the remount i have done the BIOS clear and left at default but that was a few months ago. unfortunately i can't change out parts or nothing don't know or not friends with anyone with same specs or near. also side not i got alot of crashes while playing one game Space engineers i mean my pc hard crashes goes to blue screen most of them are driver issues but i have the first time i got one i updated it and still crashed like 4 or 5 times during my 16 hour gaming session (i know lol) but i looked at GPU,CPU,M.2 NVMe and temps were okay nothing to cause a crash but i haven't feel tested it but only seems to crash in that game haven't had any longer gaming session in other games soooo. this pc is becoming much like a car huh lmao seems like lol.

So is the original problem fixed or not?  Crashes in this game apparently having driver issues would be a totally different thing.  

There are certain similarities between cars and computers in that they are both complex things that rely on a chain of things happening in a particular way, and when those things don’t happen like that for whatever reason they don’t work.

3 minutes ago, Spearlight said:

now i have also noticed that when running the cinebench it putting 1.312V to the CPU not i have set to manual do 1.25v i believe so i don't know if that has to do with anything as more voltage means more heat but i don't understand why if i have it set to 1.25v it seeing 1.367v if i am looking at the correct "probe?". I am using the HWiNFO64 to montior Vcore. Again sorry for the extremely late replays been a bit busy and sorta forgot about this for a few sorry :(((

Thats 3 different temps not two. Problem could be that you only set part of the system to that wattage, that you are looking at a different part of the system, or that your monitoring software isn’t measuring what you think it is measuring.

16 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Thats 3 different temps not two. Problem could be that you only set part of the system to that wattage, that you are looking at a different part of the system, or that your monitoring software isn’t measuring what you think it is measuring.

sorry i was reading the wrong "probe" i fixed the first which would be 1.312v but i didn't fix the 1.367v which is supposed to say 1.312v. So i have it manual set to do 1.25v but it gives 1.312v when running cinebench but i do believe the the crashes in game are a different issue. As far as the orginal issue would be the temp umm not really sets in the high 80s around 86-95 to maybe 100c under full load

1 of 2 things it's going to be....

1. Thermal Paste under the IHS plate is thoroughly baked.
  2. Pump isn't working.

A de-lid will easily shave off 10-20c.

If it still hits 100c after a good de-lid, then the pump isn't working.

Step one, check the pump. Put your ear on it, feel it for vibrations.

Step two, do a re-lidding. 

Good Luck!

4 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

1 of 2 things it's going to be....

1. Thermal Paste under the IHS plate is thoroughly baked.
  2. Pump isn't working.

A de-lid will easily shave off 10-20c.

If it still hits 100c after a good de-lid, then the pump isn't working.

Step one, check the pump. Put your ear on it, feel it for vibrations.

Step two, do a re-lidding. 

Good Luck!

oh fun de-lid if my pump is good oh good pls let it be good lol

Edited by Spearlight

36 minutes ago, Spearlight said:

oh fun de-lid if my pump is good oh good pls let it be good lol

De-lids are fun. pretty easy too. You just gotta cut the glue. Top comes right off. Most people on youtube use box cutting razor blades. I've found (back in 08') that shaving razors actually do a better job and super sharp. Cuts the glue much easier. 

Though that's an AMD chip, the razor is what I wanted to show you. Just put some tape on one side so you don't cut your self on the other edge.

DSC02184.jpg.ca1a9d996b27c2488a7b9ab39daa3525.jpg

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

De-lids are fun. pretty easy too. You just gotta cut the glue. Top comes right off. Most people on youtube use box cutting razor blades. I've found (back in 08') that shaving razors actually do a better job and super sharp. Cuts the glue much easier. 

Though that's an AMD chip, the razor is what I wanted to show you. Just put some tape on one side so you don't cut your self on the other edge.

DSC02184.jpg.ca1a9d996b27c2488a7b9ab39daa3525.jpg

can't i just send it off to https://siliconlottery.com/products/delid?variant=19733401272406 i know i be paying but i feel safe know professorial are doing instead of my headass lmao