I7-8700K gets pinned at 100c on a NZXT Kraken X73 AIO At STOCK!!!!

Spearlight

Sometimes i test thermals by doing cinebench and when i do i see my temps instantly climbed to 100c the 360 AIO is mounted on the top of my case and fans are doing exhaust. I have XMP enable on my ram allowing 3000MHz. Everything is stock on my CPU not overclocked or nothing well do have the voltage set to 1.28v i think half to confirm instead of auto to see if that would help temps. My case is what i linked below but i think i have an older model of that case i tryed to find the current one i had but could not. If need anymore info on my system let me know and i get back to you as fast as possible hopefully we could solve this issue or something lol.

Case: https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Computer-Radiator-Tempered-Management/dp/B01M6TV6PC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1O3IW9OD25OS4&dchild=1&keywords=rosewill+cullinan&qid=1616630450&s=electronics&sprefix=Rosewill+cu%2Celectronics%2C191&sr=1-1

This says some sort of basic cooling problem to me.  Bad mount possibly.  Could also be a pump problem or less likely a radiator problem.  Sumtin’ ain’t right though. If it goes that fast bad mount followed by bad pump (or some other obstruction to flow) are more likely than a radiator cooling issue.  If that were the problem it would take longer to heat up. Of course there may be more than one thing wrong (whee.)

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Instant heat spike to 100°C is pretty much definitely a not correctly mounted cooler. If it was a pump issue, the water volume would delay this effect. 

Does the block collide with other components? Correct backplate? Screws evenly tightened? Any plastic removed? Thermal paste applied?

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This says some sort of basic cooling problem to me.  Bad mount possibly.  Could also be a pump problem or less likely a radiator problem.  Sumtin’ ain’t right though. If it goes that fast bad mount followed by bad pump (or some other obstruction to flow) are more likely than a radiator cooling issue.  If that were the problem it would take longer to heat up. Of course there may be more than one thing wrong (whee.)

i guess i should have also lead with this when i first got the CPU i believe in 2018 not completely sure i originally had a Hyper 212 Evo from my last build that i used then around i notice they were high temps with that i just figured cause it was a hyper 212 EVO but in 2020 i brought a be quiet Pure Rock 2 i believe and was getting 80-90c still so then i returned that and said fuck it and brought the NZXT Kraken X73 and were here few months later maybe a year or so....

3 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

Instant heat spike to 100°C is pretty much definitely a not correctly mounted cooler. If it was a pump issue, the water volume would delay this effect. 

Does the block collide with other components? Correct backplate? Screws evenly tightened? Any plastic removed? Thermal paste applied?

so i should have clarified instant it goes from idle which is 40c or so then ramps up to 50-60c then 90-100c within maybe 2-3s or so so little instant??

5 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

the block collide with other components? Correct backplate? Screws evenly tightened? Any plastic removed? Thermal pas

doesn't look like it collides with anything it is also the correct black plate and their is thermal paste and screws are even tightened

31 minutes ago, Spearlight said:

i guess i should have also lead with this when i first got the CPU i believe in 2018 not completely sure i originally had a Hyper 212 Evo from my last build that i used then around i notice they were high temps with that i just figured cause it was a hyper 212 EVO but in 2020 i brought a be quiet Pure Rock 2 i believe and was getting 80-90c still so then i returned that and said fuck it and brought the NZXT Kraken X73 and were here few months later maybe a year or so....

Ooh.. so straight up garbage cpu becomes a possibility.  Still shouldn’t matter all that much though.  Hyper 212 and pure rock 2 shouldn’t have a whole lot of difference between them.  They’re both 4 pipe single stack coolers.  The cooler you have now should cool a ton better than either of them.  It’s got a bigger envelope than even a noctua d15.  It’s doing worse though which implies a major problem.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

42 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

True.  “Instant” is a vague unit of time though on the internet.

so i actually went to intel support about this and see if i could get a replacement with warranty and i explained the following this what they said to me

4.PNG

6.PNG

34 minutes ago, Spearlight said:

doesn't look like it collides with anything it is also the correct black plate and their is thermal paste and screws are even tightened

Re what I think @bowrilla is talking about when he says plastic:

There’s this amusing only to others error that sometimes happens.  Some coolers (I don’t know if the one you are talking about is one) will have a clear plastic sheet over the copper cooling plate. This sheet MUST be removed before the thing is pasted or one gets the kind of results you are getting.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Re what I think @bowrilla is talking about when he says plastic:

There’s this amusing only to others error that sometimes happens.  Some coolers (I don’t know if the one you are talking about is one) will have a clear plastic sheet over the copper cooling plate. This sheet MUST be removed before the thing is pasted or one gets the kind of results you are getting.

yeah forgot to add that in their that was taken off

6 minutes ago, Spearlight said:

yeah forgot to add that in their that was taken off

There are a lot of ways to mismount a cooler. Some can’t even be seen with the naked eye.  The cooler/cpu connection relies on some pretty tight tolerances.  If a bracket or some such isn’t right it can mess the whole thing up.  My first instinct with this issue would be to pull the cooler and repaste/remount using a pretty generous amount of paste.  One of the nice things about paste is that if you use too much it just squirts out the sides.  If it still doesn’t work well pull the cooler again and see how much paste is left.  If there’s a ton you may have bad mounting hardware or the wrong cooler.

Edited by Bombastinator

gotcha well do that tmr as it getting late to deal with my pc lmao any other suggestion i can try out tmr?

Tmr=tomorrow?  Lots of folks here all the time.  Maybe just try it and if there are still problems someone will likely be around to help.  Might even be me.  I have certain having-a-life issues.

Edited by Bombastinator

1 minute ago, Spearlight said:

yeah

Ah.  Edited previous post.

yep just saw will start from their from repasting to remounting and go from their if they still issues

Clear your bios. Maybe your motherboard got stupid and decided to give you 1.5v or something.

Also, never tell them about xmp.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

6 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Clear your bios. Maybe your motherboard got stupid and decided to give you 1.5v or something.

image.gif.dca5d3e3ef65ec22b28082bec11dddcb.gif

30 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

like default settings? i have also updated Bios few months ago can't remember exactly when

11 minutes ago, Spearlight said:

like default settings? i have also updated Bios few months ago can't remember exactly when

Tell us what your vcore is reporting.

I doubt your cpu is broken. It's either your cooling system or the motherboard being dumb

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

The spread of the thermal paste would be very interesting to see. If it has a good spread, then the cooler was mounted correctly. If not then you're doing something wrong.

With a properly mounted cooler in a even half decent case that doesn't sit in the sun in the middle of the Sahara desert, temps should not shoot up like that. 

Maybe something's wrong underneath the IHS and a delid and repaste might help. (this voids any warranty you might still have)

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

1 hour ago, bowrilla said:

The spread of the thermal paste would be very interesting to see. If it has a good spread, then the cooler was mounted correctly. If not then you're doing something wrong.

With a properly mounted cooler in a even half decent case that doesn't sit in the sun in the middle of the Sahara desert, temps should not shoot up like that. 

Maybe something's wrong underneath the IHS and a delid and repaste might help. (this voids any warranty you might still have)

It would have to be really really wrong.  For a delidding to make that big a difference. The chip has never been great, so you could have a point, but it’s also not been that insanely bad either.  My current suspicion is not nearly enough thermal paste has ever been used.  It’s the simplest solution.  We shall see though.

On 3/25/2021 at 4:31 AM, bowrilla said:

Sorry been busy late with life and umm thermal wasn’t good I don’t think then I added some little thermal paste were spot were and spread with me finger then I added the cooler on and tighten to go even pressure then took it off to verify no over spill

1815BFA9-80BD-4C03-BD52-60D844A56DBE.jpeg

70CC656F-4CAB-489D-972A-FBFE4B118A5A.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Spearlight said:

Sorry been busy late with life and umm thermal wasn’t good I don’t think then I added some little thermal paste were spot were and spread with me finger then I added the cooler on and tighten to go even pressure then took it off to verify no over spill

1815BFA9-80BD-4C03-BD52-60D844A56DBE.jpeg

70CC656F-4CAB-489D-972A-FBFE4B118A5A.jpeg

Second(?  Lower pic) one has better coverage than the first one but might be too thin.  Spillover is messy but it doesn’t actually hurt anything.  Paste is relatively cheap.  I don’t get the whole spreader thing.  I suspect no spreader is actually better because it means a lower chance of air bubbles. Of course that change might be zero either way. Still no significant difference.  Why make a messy spatula for no reason?  You want to play with goo they have body wash and bathtubs for that. Go nuts.

Edited by Bombastinator