Two computers into 1 DAC/AMP?

monikko

I recently got some new headphones to upgrade from my M-100s from V-Moda and got some that needed an amp.

So I got the headphones, got the amp, all is great in the world.

For reasons I won't explain here, but don't mind answering, although you might not like that weird reasoning and logic that lead me to this setup......

I have two computers, that I use at the same time, and would like the audio from BOTH to be used for my headphones.

I got simple Y spliters.....so male 3.5mm split to male RCA Left and Right.....then tried to merge both of those on the two computers into one, so left and left into one, right and right into the other....but when used with the amp, one computer sounds fine, and the other is a LOT quieter. So one is unbothered by any other presence, but one is bothered  by something else in it's presence.....and I need to use both 😕

So I thought that, to keep it mostly simple, I would need an amp, or maybe at this point since there isn't much of a budget, a DAC as well. I just can't seem to find online things that really want to support two inputs, but, however, do support multiple WAYS to input things, and those ways can be used at the same time.....which I would gather can do what I'm looking for, but it seems like a "bad" solution. I assume the different modes of connecting, are for different types of audio hardware, and therefore having both computers, that one would be getting the "less ideal" way of being input.

I would really not like to use a mixer, as I want my desk setup as clean as possible, and I'm not doing anything music related currently. The other issue is, if I get a mixer, I may as well plan for a whole little audio setup, with keyboard and speakers, and then that just starts getting......big. I just want to replace this amp I have, with an amp, or dac+amp, that can "properly" support these two computer inputs.

Thank you so much!

That's a really a mixer you're after...

But that mixer can be done in software, see Voicemeeter Banana. You can install it on both PCs, have one send its audio to the other through the network which mixes both and outputs to your device.

Or you plug one computer's line out to other's line in, and that can do a mix too...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Or you plug one computer's line out to the line in of the other, and that can do a mix too...

I'm sort of sad I didn't think of this......I really like that idea! Would you recommend Voicemeeter Banana as well for going this route?

Yes VM has been working flawlessly for me, the 2nd PC is on another desk on the other side of the room so it's much more convenient than to run a loooong audio cable. You really want to be on a wired network though.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

Yes VM has been working flawlessly for me, the 2nd PC is on another desk on the other side of the room so it's much more convenient than to run a loooong audio cable. You kinda do need to be on a wired network though.

I was planning on doing the actual cable, but the virtual mixing seems really nice.....I do have a fully wired network thankfully, so that helps a lot. Only thing on wifi is the bedroom since I can't cleanly run a cable in this apartment 😞

I watched 10 minutes of a video on voicemeeter banana, can you send those virtual cables over the network?

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

You use the VBAN section to send over the network. Don't need the "virtual cable" driver for most things as its functionality is already part of VM.

F@H

GPD Win 2

5 hours ago, Kilrah said:

You use the VBAN section to send over the network. Don't need the "virtual cable" driver for most things as its functionality is already part of VM.

awesome thanks, I see this same situation come up from time to time and I'll make sure to use the information you have given

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission