Cooler for Ryzen 9 5900x?

fael097

Hi, I recently upgraded my old Ryzen 7 1800x for a Ryzen 9 5900x.

I had a Noctua NH-D14 cooling my 1800x and never had any issues, even managed to do some mild overclocking, but after the upgrade my 5900x reaches 90ºC after only 7 minutes of Aida64's stress test. My case is an NZXT S340, with 2x 140mm intake fans from corsair on the front, one of those on top as exhaust, and a 120mm corsair as exhaust on the back, and I keep the room's AC on at 23°C all the time. my GPU is an RTX 3080 from EVGA, which doesn't have a blower style cooler.

I decided to give a chance to AIO coolers, so I bought an EVGA CLC 280mm, which is better than what I was getting from my Noctua, it keeps my CPU temps stable at 79 - 80°C during the same test, as long as I keep running the cooler pump and fans at 100%.

The problem is that EVGA's flow control software is crap. I can sort of control the fans curve, but the 100% fan speed is fixed at 60°C, which the R9 spikes at all the time, and this cooler's fans are the loudest thing ever at 100% which translates to 2400RPM if I'm not mistaken. So the fans keep ramping up and down all the time, even when I'm drawing squares on the desktop's wallpaper with the selection tool, or opening folders on windows explorer, not to mention heavy CPU usage tasks. I wouldn't mind the fans ramping up when I'm rendering something, but the constant spikes bother me a lot.

I can set the AIO to control the fans RPM based on the coolant temperature instead of the CPU temperature, so it won't ramp up all the time, but after ramping up it will take a while to ramp down since the coolant itself takes a while to warm up and cool down, which bothers me just as much.

Also, the software doesn't save the configurations to the firmware, even though EVGA says it does. As soon as I close the software, it switches back to the default coolant temperature controlled fan curve (same to LED colors and other settings), so I have to keep the software open to barely control the curve, which also bothers me.

Is there something I can do, or should I just return it and get a Corsair H115i instead? Or should I even stick to air coolers? Suggestions?

2 minutes ago, fael097 said:

I had a Noctua NH-D14 cooling my 1800x and never had any issues, even managed to do some mild overclocking, but after the upgrade my 5900x reaches 90ºC after only 7 minutes of Aida64's stress test. My case is an NZXT S340, with 2x 140mm intake fans from corsair on the front, one of those on top as exhaust, and a 120mm corsair as exhaust on the back, and I keep the room's AC on at 23°C all the time. my GPU is an RTX 3080 from EVGA, which doesn't have a blower style cooler.

I decided to give a chance to AIO coolers, so I bought an EVGA CLC 280mm, which is better than what I was getting from my Noctua, it keeps my CPU temps stable at 79 - 80°C during the same test, as long as I keep running the cooler pump and fans at 100%.

The problem is that EVGA's flow control software is crap. I can sort of control the fans curve, but the 100% fan speed is fixed at 60°C, which the R9 spikes at all the time, and this cooler's fans are the loudest thing ever at 100% which translates to 2400RPM if I'm not mistaken. So the fans keep ramping up and down all the time, even when I'm drawing squares on the desktop's wallpaper with the selection tool, or opening folders on windows explorer, not to mention heavy CPU usage tasks. I wouldn't mind the fans ramping up when I'm rendering something, but the constant spikes bother me a lot.

I can set the AIO to control the fans RPM based on the coolant temperature instead of the CPU temperature, so it won't ramp up all the time, but after ramping up it will take a while to ramp down since the coolant itself takes a while to warm up and cool down, which bothers me just as much.

Also, the software doesn't save the configurations to the firmware, even though EVGA says it does. As soon as I close the software, it switches back to the default coolant temperature controlled fan curve (same to LED colors and other settings), so I have to keep the software open to barely control the curve, which also bothers me.

Is there something I can do, or should I just return it and get a Corsair H115i instead? Or should I even stick to air coolers? Suggestions?

I'd recommend something like the arctic liquid freezer series of coolers, and I'd get a case like the p360a (for a 240/280mm rads) p400a digital (for a 360mm rad), or a p500a-drgb (for a 420mm rad). You could also just control the fans in bios? 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

9 minutes ago, fael097 said:

Can you try setting the fan speed in BIOS, rather than using the EVGA software

I connected my cooler's fans to the motherboard and configured the curves so now they behave as I want, but at 100% they sound a bit more quiet than when they were controlled by EVGA flow. Are you sure they ramp up to 2400RPM when hooked to the motherboard?

8 hours ago, fael097 said:

I connected my cooler's fans to the motherboard and configured the curves so now they behave as I want, but at 100% they sound a bit more quiet than when they were controlled by EVGA flow. Are you sure they ramp up to 2400RPM when hooked to the motherboard?

it should run full speed. 

also I agree there are much better aio then the evga one. but if you want to keep it that's fine. but I would recommend changing out the fans. 

5 hours ago, narrdarr said:

it should run full speed. 

also I agree there are much better aio then the evga one. but if you want to keep it that's fine. but I would recommend changing out the fans. 

which fans would you recommend? I have a couple from corsair 

1 hour ago, fael097 said:

which fans would you recommend? I have a couple from corsair 

do you have a pic or known the model number?

23 hours ago, narrdarr said:

do you have a pic or known the model number?

So I have decided to return my EVGA CLC AIO and stick to my old noctua for now. AIOs are just too loud for me and that thing was really annoying, not worth the trouble.

However I'm thinking of upgrading my case fans. Currently I have 3 of these https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Air-AF140-Quiet-Single/dp/B007RESGGC and a 120mm corsair on the back that I don't really know the model since it was the stock cooler that came with a carbide case.

I might have to upgrade my old noctua later though, if it doesn't manage to keep my Ryzen under 90°C, but I'm not sure what other air cooler can do it while being silent.

1 hour ago, fael097 said:

So I have decided to return my EVGA CLC AIO and stick to my old noctua for now. AIOs are just too loud for me and that thing was really annoying, not worth the trouble.

However I'm thinking of upgrading my case fans. Currently I have 3 of these https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Air-AF140-Quiet-Single/dp/B007RESGGC and a 120mm corsair on the back that I don't really know the model since it was the stock cooler that came with a carbide case.

I might have to upgrade my old noctua later though, if it doesn't manage to keep my Ryzen under 90°C, but I'm not sure what other air cooler can do it while being silent.

not all aios are loud. and this is part of the reason why everyone was recommending other aios if you want to try again grab either

ek aio

arctic liquid freezer 

phanteks glacier 

as for the fans personally I never recommend af(air flow) fan nor use them. sp(static pressure) fans are better in ever now days. 

if you 

arctic p12/p14 are very good at a very cheap price.  there is the artic bionix p12/p14 if you want a nicer looking version of the same fan.

phanteks f120mp / f140mp are really nice 

on the high end there nh fans of course