Orange screen with vertical white lines

Okcej

My PC specs:
Ryzen 1300X
MSI A320M
Hyper X Fury 16GB 8x2 DDR4
RX 580 4GB
Windows 10

I’ve been using this PC for years and I never had an issue. Until today when I tried to check my old GPU which is GTX 1050ti if it still works.

I swapped out the cards and I’ve confirmed that it still works. However, when I returned to my RX 580 card, I’m having BSOD. I tried to troubleshoot it and I’ve failed. I decided to just perform a clean install so I’ve plugged in my other hard drive which also runs at Windows 10 to create a bootable drive.

However, when I try to boot from the drive, I’m getting an orange screen with vertical white lines. I tried to swap the cards again and it still showing the same. I tried to boot again from my other hard drive and it just hangs with the MSI logo. I can still boot to BIOS with no issue but I can’t go on.

Please help me. I’m literally crying right now. I have some mental issues and playing games on my PC helps me not to feel depressed. I feel like I was being punished and I’m thinking to just end my life. I don’t have any funds to buy new components. I’ll be forever grateful to any help I can get to fix my PC.

Calm down, take some deep breaths, and think logically. If your emotions are really tied that much to video games I would recommend you listen to the OST of one of your favorite games or whatever game's soundtrack made you feel good. Keeps you happy. My personal favorite is the soundtrack of Forza Horizon 3 and 4, but I think the most popular has to be Minecraft. But Minecraft's OST can just make you cry, a happy cry, because of a deep nostalgia, but that won't help bring your computer back to life. 

Think logically: Something changed unexpectedly when you swapped in the old card. 1st off: Where was this spare HDD used previously. Is it literally a clean never used version of W10 or was it previously used by another computer? If it was previously used, I would suggest either formatting it and installing W10 on it or creating a Windows 10 Creation Bootable Media USB and plugging that into the back of your motherboard. 

When it hangs on the MSI logo, is there a spinning circle/ring of spinning dots beneath the logo? The answer to this could be really helpful. 

Can you confirm you have attempted to boot into all 4 of these configurations since the problem appeared: 

1. Old HDD, RX 580
  2. Old HDD, 1050 Ti
  3. New HDD, RX 580
  4. New HDD, 1050 Ti. Making sure all four don't work is important. 

Also you are getting the same orange with white lines screens when you boot with either GPU? Like the same result on a GTX and a Radeon card? Because if so that makes the problem more complicated because it means one of the GPUs isn't dead. 

I'd be glad to help if you can be just as helpful to me by including detailed and truthful replies. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

14 hours ago, Nathanpete said:

Calm down, take some deep breaths, and think logically. If your emotions are really tied that much to video games I would recommend you listen to the OST of one of your favorite games or whatever game's soundtrack made you feel good. Keeps you happy. My personal favorite is the soundtrack of Forza Horizon 3 and 4, but I think the most popular has to be Minecraft. But Minecraft's OST can just make you cry, a happy cry, because of a deep nostalgia, but that won't help bring your computer back to life. 

Think logically: Something changed unexpectedly when you swapped in the old card. 1st off: Where was this spare HDD used previously. Is it literally a clean never used version of W10 or was it previously used by another computer? If it was previously used, I would suggest either formatting it and installing W10 on it or creating a Windows 10 Creation Bootable Media USB and plugging that into the back of your motherboard. 

When it hangs on the MSI logo, is there a spinning circle/ring of spinning dots beneath the logo? The answer to this could be really helpful. 

Can you confirm you have attempted to boot into all 4 of these configurations since the problem appeared: 

1. Old HDD, RX 580
  2. Old HDD, 1050 Ti
  3. New HDD, RX 580
  4. New HDD, 1050 Ti. Making sure all four don't work is important. 

Also you are getting the same orange with white lines screens when you boot with either GPU? Like the same result on a GTX and a Radeon card? Because if so that makes the problem more complicated because it means one of the GPUs isn't dead. 

I'd be glad to help if you can be just as helpful to me by including detailed and truthful replies. 

Thank you. I read your reply last night and I did listen to those soundtracks and they are wonderful. I was able to calm myself and I’ve decided to continue troubleshooting the next day. Forgive me for the late response.

Right now, I was able to boot to my other HDD using my RX 580 GPU. This HDD was never used but it has Windows 10 on it. I’m currently creating a bootable drive using a flash drive. I will try to perform a clean reinstall to my original HDD after this. I’ll update you later.

This what I get when I try to boot from the bootable drive and then it shuts down automatically.

That would be the UEFI. If I boot from legacy, I get the orange screen with vertical lines. 

939F08DE-8530-4ED2-96F6-31C9BF43EC4B.jpeg

6 hours ago, Okcej said:

This what I get when I try to boot from the bootable drive and then it shuts down automatically.

That would be the UEFI. If I boot from legacy, I get the orange screen with vertical lines. 

So this is what you get when you try to boot into the USB drive with the windows installer on it? 

Also I need to make sure we are on the same track, Old HDD means the hard drive this computer was previously using. New HDD means the spare. 

So tell me if I get this straight. You originally had an RX 580. You put in the 1050 Ti to test it out, and then your computer is now failing to boot and has severe visual artifacts? But putting the RX 580 back causes the EXACT same problems. Does the 1050 Ti and the spare HDD work, or just the RX 580 and the spare? If possible, if you have more SATA cables, I would suggest having both drives plugged in, but making sure the old HDD is not in the boot order. Then boot into the spare, and attempt to backup as much of your personal stuff as possible to this spare. Unless you already have a cloud backup system in place, in which case, nevermind. Actually, do a cloud backup if you own a large cloud storage account because depending on how you setup your files can really start to suck if you set up your disk incorrectly. This just happened to me a couple days ago. Rough time. I had to order a new HDD but the one I needed was out of stock and I can't expect it to be shipped for another 5 days from today. 

Anyway, back on topic. When you are in the UEFI mode, is the (plugged-in) USB drive recognized by a device name or model number? And does the same thing happen in Legacy mode. I wouldn't be surprised if the output is slightly different, but I hope you get my idea. Some motherboards don't have this feature, but yours is new enough that I bet it would. 

Note: I tend to not offer solutions immediately, rather troubleshooting steps before I offer a possible fix. I just hate to hear people suggest something, not explain the risks, and then when the risks bite that forum user in the butt they get very upset and have a very negative opinion on the forum because one user was to quick to suggest a fix.  Besides, I think I am the only one helping you, so I don't have pressure to get the answer right before someone else. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

7 hours ago, Okcej said:

When I get home (about 3 hours from now if I remember to do this favor), I can boot into my own W10 creation media and see if I can find out where along booting into the USB drive it went wrong. Because if I remember correctly the background for the installer is a basic violet, but this one looks like the color blue I remember was I think the default in Windows 7. Or maybe also windows 10 and I'm not thinking straight. 

Also I hope you didn't perform a clean install on your old HDD just yet. I'm assuming you haven't because your update post was how the USB drive was failing. Also if you do get into the USB drive successfully. Don't plug in the ethernet. But when you have completed setting up a local account, then plug in the ethernet. I believe the latest windows installer makes it really hard to create a local account if you are connected to the internet, trying your hardest to use a MS account. You can link an MS account later if you wish. And if you have a digital license attached to that account, it doesn't matter when you log in, because whever you do your W10 will become licensed. 

If I were you, I would suggest pulling the CMOS battery, putting it back in, and then going back into the UEFI and reconfiguring your boot order to 1. USB drive, 2. Spare HDD, 3. Old HDD, 4, 5, 6... with the rest being however you want it arranged. 

• 11 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread but I fixed this problem by loading the default BIOS after hours of troubleshooting...