Ryzen 5, an upgrade story

It was two years ago, when I bought a pre-built Ryzen 5 2600 + Gigabyte B450 DS3H. This year it got an upgrade to 5600X, then some better ram, then a X570 Aorus Elite. Final touch was a Dark Rock Pro 4 - a beast, and an overkill of a cooler. Here's where things took a turn. Being a lazy twat, I tried to mount it inside the case, had it sliding on the pasted CPU, screws drop all around, the whole shabang. In the end everything worked out, the system started and ran cool and quiet. But then a horrible thing happened, task manager shows only 16 of 32gb of ram. And so does BIOS. What's worse, that's one channel (only DIMMs A1 and A2 work)

I tried everything there is to try, according to Google:

- reseating and swapping around the sticks, with and without XMP, also with another set of RAM

- loosening cooler mounting screws

- reseating CPU, while making sure no pins are bent

None of this has helped. However, both the 2600 on the X570 board and the 5600X on the B450 board show all four sticks. This has me confused, as the problem seems to be the combination of  the new CPU with new motherboard working on one memory channel.

Any ideas what could be wrong here?

Just now, boggy77 said:

try a bios update on the x570

Did that, too. Update from two weeks ago didn't change anything...

usually cleaning and reseating the memory work.

spray some contact cleaner in the memory slot.

this method worked for me 90% of the time (10% ram failed).

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

usually cleaning and reseating the memory work.

spray some contact cleaner in the memory slot.

this method worked for me 90% of the time (10% ram failed).

All the slots worked with  R5 2600, so doubtful they are dirty. Though I didn't try that, will need to order some contact cleaner.

Would you clean the CPU socket? and the pins maybe?

no no no, never clean cpu socket (i never tried it to be honest, i don't see the point).

CPU sockets are pretty isolated from dust / airflow so i don't think it would need any cleaning.

On the other hand memory sockets are prone to oxidation from airflow.

recently i changed motherboard, transfer the rams, all detected, half are non accessible, clean the modules / spray the slots, worked again.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

no no no, never clean cpu socket (i never tried it to be honest, i don't see the point).

CPU sockets are pretty isolated from dust / airflow so i don't think it would need any cleaning.

On the other hand memory sockets are prone to oxidation from airflow.

recently i changed motherboard, transfer the rams, all detected, half are non accessible, clean the modules / spray the slots, worked again.

Ok, thanks. Will try tomorrow, when the spray comes. Got the first one showing on Amazon with 4.5 stars

test the each memory individually on 1 of the best slot with memtest86.

make sure it's not failed.

1 hour ago, thomas2000 said:

None of this has helped. However, both the 2600 on the X570 board and the 5600X on the B450 board show all four sticks.

This is stupid weird, and my brain is going 'derp derp derp NOPE, not gonna compute' when even trying to think about this.

My only suggestion would be to get a different X570 board, and try again. I'd also suggest very carefully checking for any bent pins/fingers on the CPU socket of the X570 board.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022