MSI X570 Creation - BIOS update possible without CPU/is it required for 5900x/5950x?

Title pretty much says it all, but the long version:

Currently looking at a 5900x/5950x upgrade, the motherboards I'm looking at are the Gigabyte X570 AORUS Master, and the MSI X570 Prestige Creation - the main selling point of the Creation is more & more higher tier USB ports, and the M.2 card (which I can't really find a comparable one that's not an Asus card designed for Threadripper systems).

My question is, does anyone own the MSI X570 Creation board, and have a 5000-series CPU, and if so, did you have to update BIOS for it to work, and does the board allow BIOS updates with no CPU installed (because the Gigabyte board DOES allow BIOS updating without a CPU installed, which is a big selling point for me since I really don't want to buy a cheap AM4 CPU just to update my BIOS to allow the 5900x/5950x to work, once I can actually get one).

Thanks in advance!

Save up to 10% on eVGA.com purchases, use my Associates Code: 47AQQ6KPU2IZNXY

My system on ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42686 

Primary Rig:

CPU: AMD 5950X at 4.65GHz 1.275V - Mobo: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - PSU: eVGA P2 1200W

CPU Cooler: EK Quantum Velocity Block (480mm XE Radiator with push/pull EK Vardar D-RGB fans)

2 x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600MHz CL14 RAM (14-15-15-35-1T at 1.45V)

GPU: eVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hybrid - Core @ 2160MHz @ 1068mV, VRAM +1000MHz

Case: Thermaltake View 91 - SSDs/HDDs: Too many to list; Samsung 980 Pro 1TB & 2TB M.2s, Samsung 4TB SATA SSD

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

Page 58 of the Creation board states to enter bios to flash using Mflash or the software.

The board does not have a flash button.

The question was whether or not BIOS can be entered without a CPU installed to update the BIOS to a 5000-series ready BIOS or not.

The Gigabyte board has the capability to do that. From what I've been looking at, it seems the MSI board may not be able to do this.  That's pretty unfortunate if that's the case.   I'd rather like to avoid having to spend extra on a motherboard AND having to spend even more getting a cheap AM4 CPU just to flash the BIOS to a 5000-series-ready BIOS.  That would really tilt the scale in favor of the Gigabyte board despite the MSI having that M.2 expansion card.

Save up to 10% on eVGA.com purchases, use my Associates Code: 47AQQ6KPU2IZNXY

My system on ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42686 

Primary Rig:

CPU: AMD 5950X at 4.65GHz 1.275V - Mobo: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - PSU: eVGA P2 1200W

CPU Cooler: EK Quantum Velocity Block (480mm XE Radiator with push/pull EK Vardar D-RGB fans)

2 x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600MHz CL14 RAM (14-15-15-35-1T at 1.45V)

GPU: eVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hybrid - Core @ 2160MHz @ 1068mV, VRAM +1000MHz

Case: Thermaltake View 91 - SSDs/HDDs: Too many to list; Samsung 980 Pro 1TB & 2TB M.2s, Samsung 4TB SATA SSD

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

21 minutes ago, HoneyBadger84 said:

The question was whether or not BIOS can be entered without a CPU installed to update the BIOS to a 5000-series ready BIOS or not.

The Gigabyte board has the capability to do that. From what I've been looking at, it seems the MSI board may not be able to do this.  That's pretty unfortunate if that's the case.   I'd rather like to avoid having to spend extra on a motherboard AND having to spend even more getting a cheap AM4 CPU just to flash the BIOS to a 5000-series-ready BIOS.  That would really tilt the scale in favor of the Gigabyte board despite the MSI having that M.2 expansion card.

Nope. You need a cpu installed to enter bios on every single motherboard in the world.

The boards that flash without the CPU, flash with nothing at all connected, not even the memory. You rely on a flashing LED to confirm a bios flash, something the creation does not offer. You can tell just by looking at the I/O panel side of the board. None of the USB ports are labeled Flash and there isn't a bios flash button.

Edited by ShrimpBrime
corrections No to Nope. Just looks nicer.

• 1 month later...

Just in case the combo is:

MSI X570 Prestige Creation

5950x

Appears I'm hitting the same issue, sure would be nice if MSI was more clear 😲   Possibly was a bit optimistic and assembled the entire machine.   Powered on and no joy, did get a post code of '0d".  Searching around at best and MSI's docs say "d0" is reserved for later use, lovely MSI...  Some mention ram incompatibility then remember ah, so thought to double checked it on PC Part picker 🙂  Sure enough, PC Partpicker raised a red flag, the mobo needs a flash o.k. fine... How?  Everything i read for the MSI MOBO only talks about once in the BIOS...   But the system will error out before the option to get into the BIOS.  Lovely catch-22...    Seems i need a much older CPU just to flash the BIOS?

Thanks in advance.

I