Best CPU to replace i7 920? Will 24GB RAM make a difference?

Hi friends

I have a 13 year old PC that is still trucking and is proving to be a decent gaming machine even today. Looking for some advice.

1. I want to upgrade the CPU to something more powerful. Looking for some advice on the best CPUs for this old LGA1366 board.
  2. I currently have 12GB RAM but the board can take a max of 24GB, will I see a huge difference adding the extra 12GB?

Spec

• i7 920 @ 3.00Ghz
  • 12GB DDR3
  • GTX1060 6GB
  • MSI X58 Platinum mobo
  • Win 10 Pro

Thank you.

Xeon X5690, Xeon W3690, i7 980x, i7 990x

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

2 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Xeon X5690, Xeon W3690, i7 980x, i7 990x

Thanks! Will check those out. Are those Xeon chips more powerful than i7 980x, 990x? Looking for a decent increase in gaming performance, specially flight sims like X-Plane 11.

You won't see a difference in additional RAM unless you're severely constrained with the 12GB you have now.  If you're constantly hitting the 12GB limit, get more.  If not, don't.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

The Xeons are readily available, and are cheap. The X series doesn't really give you any dividers to play with your memory. The W series does.. and is like an i7 in that regard. And the i7s looked like they were holding their price the last time I looked. I have an X5690 ES, great chip, but a little boring when it comes to memory clocking.

5 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

You won't see a difference in additional RAM unless you're severely constrained with the 12GB you have now.  If you're constantly hitting the 12GB limit, get more.  If not, don't.

I play X-Plane 11 a lot and RAM use goes between 70-80% when its running. Was wondering if throwing a bit more in would help but as you said unless I'm hitting limits its not worth it. 

5 minutes ago, freeagent said:

The Xeons are readily available, and are cheap. The X series doesn't really give you any dividers to play with your memory. The W series does.. and is like an i7 in that regard. And the i7s looked like they were holding their price the last time I looked. I have an X5690 ES, great chip, but a little boring when it comes to memory clocking.

Thanks, will keep that in mind. I just looked on ebay and theres Xeons on there for throwaway prices at like £12 ($17).

Indeed. And to put that into perspective.. I paid roughly 650USD for my Xeon back in 2010.

1 minute ago, freeagent said:

Indeed. And to put that into perspective.. I paid roughly 650USD for my Xeon back in 2010.

Wow! Cant imagine..

On another note, I have never replaced a CPU before (this is a prebuilt). I read of all these nightmare stories of "pins being bent" etc, is it easy to do? Im a total n00b at this. Im comfortable getting into the case, ive replaced the gfx card, ram, fixed fans etc. But the CPU has always terrified me lol and its only now that Ive decided its time.

5 minutes ago, KatanaDV20 said:

Wow! Cant imagine..

On another note, I have never replaced a CPU before (this is a prebuilt). I read of all these nightmare stories of "pins being bent" etc, is it easy to do? Im a total n00b at this. Im comfortable getting into the case, ive replaced the gfx card, ram, fixed fans etc. But the CPU has always terrified me lol and its only now that Ive decided its time.

It's very easy to do. Don't touch the pins, don't set it down on the pins. Line up the marking with the one on the mobo, and just carefully set it in. Don't apply much pressure, just make sure it's fully in. Not too bad to do

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

2 minutes ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

It's very easy to do. Don't touch the pins, don't set it down on the pins. Line up the marking with the one on the mobo, and just carefully set it in. Don't apply much pressure, just make sure it's fully in. Not too bad to do

Ok that makes me feel a little better. Will remember this advice and maybe watch a YT vid. 

@KatanaDV20 The 6 core 32nm Westmere processors are fun to overclock. I like the W3670. Look at what you get for $27.50 on eBay.

3XBqVgb.png

If you are new to overclocking, the W3680 is even easier. It has an unlocked multiplier so you only need to change one thing to go faster. Here is a W3680 at default voltage. If you increase the turbo power limits, it can run indefinitely fully loaded at full speed across all 6 cores. Add some voltage and you can increase the multiplier some more to go even faster. Definitely a nice boost over the i7-920.

image.png.d9afacbbc2f971f8f045e8ed6e9f169e.png

55 minutes ago, KatanaDV20 said:

Ok that makes me feel a little better. Will remember this advice and maybe watch a YT vid. 

Good idea. Hope it all goes well! Once you get your first cpu swap in the books, it'll become much easier and you'll be more comfortable doing it in the future. 🙂

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

5 hours ago, unclewebb said:

@KatanaDV20 The 6 core 32nm Westmere processors are fun to overclock. I like the W3670. Look at what you get for $27.50 on eBay.

If you are new to overclocking, the W3680 is even easier. It has an unlocked multiplier so you only need to change one thing to go faster. Here is a W3680 at default voltage. If you increase the turbo power limits, it can run indefinitely fully loaded at full speed across all 6 cores. Add some voltage and you can increase the multiplier some more to go even faster. Definitely a nice boost over the i7-920.

Thanks for all that useful info! I've made a list of all these processors and I'm busy checking them out in YT vids and on comparison sites. I am a total n00b at overclocking so this will be a real learning experience!

5 hours ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

Good idea. Hope it all goes well! Once you get your first cpu swap in the books, it'll become much easier and you'll be more comfortable doing it in the future. 🙂

I saw some vids, alignment with the notch, do not touch the pins etc! Sounds a bit nerve wracking but I reckon I can do it! One thing thats out of my control is that with these used chips on eBay - I have no idea how they've been handled. All the pics of them on the site show them on table tops and not in any sort of protective padded packaging etc. But I guess they do that to show that there is no damage to the pins and such. I noticed that many of the sellers are in HK and China, I hope I wont have to wait too long for them to get here!

Oops forgot to ask also - once I replace the CPU will I have to reinstall Windows? Or can I just carry on? Id rather not have to go through all that. I do have the latest Win10 .iso ready on a stick (Media Creation tool) just in case!

@KatanaDV20 These Intel CPUs do not have pins. The pins are in the motherboard socket. The CPU only has little metallic pads on the bottom. In China they probably shovel these old CPUs up by the bucket load. They are not as delicate as they look. Just line the notches up on the side and drop it into place. If you miss align it, lift it back up and try again. The important part is do not move it back and forth or side to side or you could bend or damage the pins in the CPU socket. Most of the stuff from China is tested for 30 seconds so it should work. 

You should not have to reinstall Windows. When you swap CPUs, some versions of Windows might get stuck and only recognize 4 of your 6 cores. If this happens, open msconfig and click on the Boot tab, press the Advanced options... button and then you might need to clear the Number of processors box. After you reboot, Windows will be able to find all 6 cores and 12 threads. 

Lots of people here are ready to help you get the most out of your computer.

14 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

@KatanaDV20 These Intel CPUs do not have pins.

Lots of people here are ready to help you get the most out of your computer.

Ohh I see ok! Shows what a n00b I am that I didnt even know that. I thought the pins were on the CPU. Thanks for all the great tips to remember while fitting it. Vertical motion only and align carefully. Also comforting to know they are not as delicate as I thought they were.

Thank you, this is a very friendly forum I can tell , the responses have been so great on my first post. Other places I have tried just tell me to get a new PC and to dump this one. I CAN get a new one but personally cant justify the cost as this old thing literally runs all my fav games that I throw at it and runs them well. 

There is only 1 game that will need a new and very powerful machine - the new flight sim from Microsoft. That is one title I will want to run full bore at max settings, impossible on my PC. 

24 minutes ago, KatanaDV20 said:

Ohh I see ok! Shows what a n00b I am that I didnt even know that. I thought the pins were on the CPU. Thanks for all the great tips to remember while fitting it. Vertical motion only and align carefully. Also comforting to know they are not as delicate as I thought they were.

Thank you, this is a very friendly forum I can tell , the responses have been so great on my first post. Other places I have tried just tell me to get a new PC and to dump this one. I CAN get a new one but personally cant justify the cost as this old thing literally runs all my fav games that I throw at it and runs them well. 

There is only 1 game that will need a new and very powerful machine - the new flight sim from Microsoft. That is one title I will want to run full bore at max settings, impossible on my PC. 

Honestly, those other people are idiots (the ones telling you to dump it). Gpu's especially are hard to get for a good price, so old systems are gonna be the most cost effective right now. I, too, am running an old system, and I love it. No sense in spending more when you can still upgrade, the parts are dirt cheap! 

To comfort you, I have only bent pins on 1 cpu, which was an old laptop cpu (a turion 2, which I because the mobo was dead, and I wanted to have some fun) You got this! You shouldn't consider yourself a noob, in fact, you are just learning. Heck, everyone here is still learning. No need to be ashamed of not knowing, there's really no stupid question when it comes to technology.

8 hours ago, KatanaDV20 said:

Looking for a decent increase in gaming performance, specially flight sims like X-Plane 11.

I'd keep your 920 and OC it a ton. Don't crank the voltage to 1.6V or anything, but in my opinion going for an extreme overclock is worth it. X58 Xeons on the used market aren't too expensive. XP 11 is super single thread bound and MSFS is too (slightly better though in my experience, it's different for everyone right now haha). I've moved completely to MSFS for my flight training purposes since I fly exclusively GA aircraft but I do remember X-Plane being CPU-limited with a stock 3700X and an RX 580. Only in one specific scenario, but still somewhat insane.

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

Oh you can kick the shit out of them and they will be fine. You can run 1.6 as long as you can cool it. But usually over 1.4 gets challenging. And if you do clock it, make sure you have a good PSU. I am telling you, they hate mother nature, and they hate polar bears even more. No effs given to bees either.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

So Ive been spending all this time since I last posted researching chips and have narrowed it down to i7 990, W3670 &  X5680/90. Whats causing the brain-melt 😖 is that my mobo (MSI X58 Platinum) is not showing the X-series CPUs in its compatibility list. I have however seen the odd comment here and there on Google searches saying that doesn't matter. They will still work.  Is this true?

These two sites for example only show that i7 branded chips are compatible:

https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/X58_Platinum.html

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/?compatible_with=8FKcCJ

Also does it make a difference that Xeons are "server" CPUs? Thanks for any further advice!

On 3/22/2021 at 11:47 PM, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

I'd keep your 920 and OC it a ton. Don't crank the voltage to 1.6V or anything, but in my opinion going for an extreme overclock is worth it. X58 Xeons on the used market aren't too expensive. XP 11 is super single thread bound and MSFS is too (slightly better though in my experience, it's different for everyone right now haha). I've moved completely to MSFS for my flight training purposes since I fly exclusively GA aircraft but I do remember X-Plane being CPU-limited with a stock 3700X and an RX 580. Only in one specific scenario, but still somewhat insane.

I would love to do this but I found out that my BIOS is locked. All the voltage options are greyed out! Thanks for that interesting info on XP11 & MSFS btw. Flying GA in that must be insane fun!

On 3/23/2021 at 12:12 AM, freeagent said:

Oh you can kick the shit out of them and they will be fine. You can run 1.6 as long as you can cool it. But usually over 1.4 gets challenging. And if you do clock it, make sure you have a good PSU. I am telling you, they hate mother nature, and they hate polar bears even more. No effs given to bees either.

This is good to know, glad they are not as super delicate as I thought they would be!

2 minutes ago, KatanaDV20 said:

Hey guys,

So Ive been spending all this time since I last posted researching chips and have narrowed it down to i7 990, W3670 &  X5680/90. Whats causing the brain-melt 😖 is that my mobo (MSI X58 Platinum) is not showing the X-series CPUs in its compatibility list. I have however seen the odd comment here and there on Google searches saying that doesn't matter. They will still work.  Is this true?

These two sites for example only show that i7 branded chips are compatible:

https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/X58_Platinum.html

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/?compatible_with=8FKcCJ

Also does it make a difference that Xeons are "server" CPUs? Thanks for any further advice!

I would love to do this but I found out that my BIOS is locked. All the voltage options are greyed out! Thanks for that interesting info on XP11 & MSFS btw. Flying GA in that must be insane fun!

This is good to know, glad they are not as super delicate as I thought they would be!

Basically all the 6-core 1366 CPUs are based on the same silicon - performance wise, they're all pretty similar, and have similar overclockability.

Your CPU is what's "locked" - most 1366 chips technically are. However, they can be overclocked by increasing base clock, which is much more reliable than on modern platforms since the PCIe controller is off-die. More info here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-core-i7,2268-4.html

1 hour ago, Grabhanem said:

Basically all the 6-core 1366 CPUs are based on the same silicon - performance wise, they're all pretty similar, and have similar overclockability.

Your CPU is what's "locked" - most 1366 chips technically are. However, they can be overclocked by increasing base clock, which is much more reliable than on modern platforms since the PCIe controller is off-die. More info here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-core-i7,2268-4.html

Ahh ok, thanks for that info. I have narrowed it down further by eliminating the i7 990. 

Oh I see so its the CPU that is "locked" not the BIOS settings as I initially thought. Yes on my i7 920 the only thing I can increase (everything else greyed out) is the bus speed from 133Mhz to 150Mhz, if I go higher (even to 151) the PC screams that the "Previous overclocking was not successful. Reverting to default" 

That Toms Hardware link is very handy, nicely presented thanks for that. 

2 minutes ago, KatanaDV20 said:

if I go higher

When BCLK overclocking, you have to adjust the memory multiplier so your memory is not running way out of spec. Do not go up by 1 MHz at a time. It will be easier to get 166MHz working than 150 MHz.

If the system was bought almost 13 years ago (late 2008) it probably has old BIOS version which doesn't support the 2010-2011 CPUs. So make sure to update the BIOS to the latest one before installing the new CPU

And if you need help with overclocking you can ask in this thread: 

Intel Core i9-10900X, Asus TUF X299 Mark 1, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, 2TB 970 EVO Plus, 2TB SN570, 8TB HDD, DC Assassin III, Meshify 2

Old PC: Intel Xeon X5670 6c/12t @ 4.40GHz, Asus P6X58D-E, 24GB DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, 500GB, 250GB & 120GB SSD, 2x 4TB & 2x 2TB HDD, Fractal Define R5

PC 2: Intel Xeon E5-2690 8c/16t @ 3.3-3.8GHz, ThinkStation S30 (C602/X79), 64GB (4x 16GB) DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 960 Turbo OC, 1TB Crucial MX500

PC 3: Intel Core i7-3770 4c/8t @ 4.22-4.43GHz, Asus P8Z77-V LK, 16GB DDR3 1648MHz, Asus RX 470 Strix, 1TB & 250GB Crucial MX500 and 3x 500GB HDD

Laptop: ThinkPad T440p, Intel Core i7-4800MQ 4c/8t @ 2.7-3.7GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, GeForce GT 730M (GPU: 1006MHz MEM: 1151MHz), 2TB SSD, 14" 1080p IPS, 100Wh battery

Laptop 2: ThinkPad T450, Intel Core i7-5600U 2c/4t @ 2.6-3.2GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Intel HD 5500, 250GB SSD, 14" 900p TN, 24Wh + 72Wh batteries

Phone: Huawei Honor 9 64GB + 256GB card Watch: Motorola Moto 360 1st Gen.

General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion

Some other PC's:

Spoiler

Some of the specs of these systems might not be up to date

PC 4: Intel Xeon X5675 6c/12t @ 3.07-3.47GHz, HP 0B4Ch (X58), 12GB DDR3 1333MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 660 DC2, 240GB & 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD

PC 5: Intel Xeon W3550 @ 3.07GHz, HP (X58), 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (GPU: 1050MHz MEM: 1250MHz), 120GB SSD, 2TB, 1TB and 500GB HDD

PC 6: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.8GHz, Asus P5KC, 8GB DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470, 120GB SSD and 500GB HDD

HTPC: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, HP DC7900SFF, 8GB DDR2 800MHz, Asus Radeon HD 6570, 240GB SSD and 3TB HDD

WinXP PC: Intel Core2 Duo E6300 @ 2.33GHz, Asus P5B, 2GB DDR2 667MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 32GB SSD and 80GB HDD

RetroPC: Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.0GHz, Gigabyte GA-8SGXLFS, 2gb DDR1, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, 2x 40gb HDD

My first PC: Intel Celeron 333MHz, Diamond Micronics C400, 384mb RAM, Diamond Viper V550 (NVIDIA Riva TNT), 6gb and 8gb HDD

Server: 2x Intel Xeon E5420, Dell PowerEdge 2950, 32gb DDR2, ATI ES1000, 4x 146gb SAS

Dual Opteron PC: 2x 6-core AMD Opteron 2419EE, HP XW9400, 32GB DDR2, ATI Radeon 3650, 500gb HDD

Core2 Duo PC: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, HP DC7800, 4gb DDR2, NVIDIA Quadro FX1700, 1tb and 80gb HDD

Athlon XP PC: AMD Athlon XP 2400+, MSI something, 1,5gb DDR1, ATI Radeon 9200, 40gb HDD

Thinkpad: Intel Core2 Duo T7200, Lenovo Thinkpad T60, 4gb DDR2, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, 1tb HDD

Pentium 3 PC: Intel Pentium 3 866MHz, Asus CUSL2-C, 512mb RAM, 3DFX VooDoo 3 2000 AGP

Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430, Intel Core i5-3210M, 6gb DDR3 1600MHz , Intel HD 4000, 250gb Samsung SSD 860 EVO, 1TB WD Blue HDD

Laptop: Latitude 3380, Intel Pentium Gold 4415U 2c/4t @ 2.3GHz, 8GB DDR4, Intel HD 610, 120GB SSD, 13.3" 768p TN, 56Wh battery

5 hours ago, unclewebb said:

When BCLK overclocking, you have to adjust the memory multiplier so your memory is not running way out of spec. Do not go up by 1 MHz at a time. It will be easier to get 166MHz working than 150 MHz.

Ohh I see, I will reboot now and check to see if I can do that in the BIOS

3 hours ago, Pasi123 said:

If the system was bought almost 13 years ago (late 2008) it probably has old BIOS version which doesn't support the 2010-2011 CPUs. So make sure to update the BIOS to the latest one before installing the new CPU

And if you need help with overclocking you can ask in this thread: 

I read up on this after I saw your reply and have been introduced now to the scary-sounding BIOS flashing lol. I have made a full image backup of the PC in case I bork things. Now looking for a newer BIOS. Hopefully MSI site has this. Thanks for that important tip and also the link to the OC thread!