Best CPU to replace i7 920? Will 24GB RAM make a difference?

Friends,

The current 13yr old BIOS on my sytem is made by American Megatrends.

From the MSI website I found the latest BIOS for my board but the file exe  is called AFUD4310.exe which I have found is from Award BIOS Phoenix Technologies.

Is there a high chance of bricking the system because of the differing BIOS manufacturers? 

36 minutes ago, KatanaDV20 said:

Friends,

The current 13yr old BIOS on my sytem is made by American Megatrends.

From the MSI website I found the latest BIOS for my board but the file exe  is called AFUD4310.exe which I have found is from Award BIOS Phoenix Technologies.

Is there a high chance of bricking the system because of the differing BIOS manufacturers? 

It's an AMI bios and the Afudus is the flash tool.

A7522IMS.390 is the bios file. Copy this to a thumb drive and update through the bios. You don't need the flash tool and creates extra risk flashing from windows.

2 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

It's an AMI bios and the Afudus is the flash tool.

A7522IMS.390 is the bios file. Copy this to a thumb drive and update through the bios. You don't need the flash tool and creates extra risk flashing from windows.

Thanks very much for this information. I will delete all other files leaving just A7522IMS.390 on the USB. Should I leave in its folder or just put it in the USB root?

1 hour ago, KatanaDV20 said:

Thanks very much for this information. I will delete all other files leaving just A7522IMS.390 on the USB. Should I leave in its folder or just put it in the USB root?

You can search folders in bios, but to make it easy you can put it in the root so you see it right away.

9 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You can search folders in bios, but to make it easy you can put it in the root so you see it right away.

Thanks! Unfortunately after almost 3 hours of trying I was unable to update the BIOS. The M-Flash fuction refused to see the file on the USB stick. I tried everything - files under a folder, file under root, FAT format, NTFS format. Nothing worked. BIOS can see the stick but on restart it doesnt detect it. So I've given up, dont want to spend more time on it! This might of course prevent me from getting a new CPU. Might have to only look at LGA1366 i7 series only and not the W&X series. Checking for i7 990x prices.