DLSR for YouTube videos

Hi all.

So I'm keen on starting to make YouTube videos, I really enjoy building PC's and want to do some build logs as well as capture all those unboxing moments.

I have absolutely no experience with film or cameras, and would like some suggestions on what hardware will produce professional level videos and if there is a point where quality plateaus while price continues up.

For example I have been looking at Canons 5d mark ii and iii and from what iv seen they are amazing, but is the price worth it? I know these are on another level when it comes to taking stills but I have no interest in taking stills whatsoever. Is there a noticeable difference in video quality between a 6D or a 7D and a 5D mark ii? Am I even on the right track buy going a DLSR over a camcorder... I read camcorders are gimicky but I honestly have no clue.

Cheers

If you're just starting, invest in lenses and a good microphone. The body I recommend for starting is a 650D.

As for the camcorders - unless you get something really expensive (that has a big sensor) the quality will actually be worse than a DSLR.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Thanks for the quick response!

Any particular reason why you suggest the 650D? Is the video comparable to that produced by the more expensive options? I realise I have to invest in good lenses and a good mic but I still wouldn't want to compromise on video quality. But if the video difference is barely noticeable i'd be happy to hang on to some cash lol

Cheers

I would suggest a 60D or 650D like Mo5 suggested. I wouldn't go for a 5D Mark ii or iii and NOT take stills, no point. The 60D and 650D have flippy screens which allow you to get tight shots and when computer building, it's nice to see whats in the frame. I've seen countless videos where the person goes out of frame, and has no idea. Invest in some good L lenses if you have the money. Those will last you forever, and maybe in the future you can upgrade to a better body like said 5D mark iii. Some lenses I would suggest if you have the money are the 50mm F/1.2 or 1.4. And a nice zoom lens like a 24-70mm L.

As you have no prior experience with shooting and I assume just as much experience with editing I wouldn't suggest getting anything more than a t2i/550d and maybe a nice mic to go with it. You need a solid base for learning and having an expensive camera will mean nothing if you can't use it properly or get the most out of it; take baby steps. Once you get familiar with the camera and the editing process then you could move on to maybe getting a new lens, but if your main subject's a computer the stock 18-55m lens will do just as well as any other. The camera shoots in 1080p at 30fps just as all of the other cameras mentioned but as you'll be uploading the video to I assume Youtube, the difference is going to be very minimal if any at all.

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

Yeah no editing experience but I should pick it up fairly quickly. Thanks for the advice guys!

All of the cameras that you have mentioned all are capable shooting at 1080p at 30 fps. Just as AkaCrabby said you should choose a camera that suits beginners but also suits learning professionals! I highly suggest going with a Canon Rebel series DSLR camera, mainly one of these

1. Canon T2i (550D)
  2. Canon T3i (600D) 
  3. Canon T4i (650D) 
  4. Canon T5i (700D) 

The T5i is the latest one (recently released), though they all are good and have similar spec. The newer ones have more/improved features. You should look into one of these, personally I believe the T4i is the best bang for the buck. Stick with the kit lenses, for your build logs they should be fine, the 18-55mm is perfect for you. Built-in mics in my experience are great as long as your inside in a room without to much background/outside noises (Have experience doing video work with T3i, 60D, and 7D). Overtime you can look into investing in a shotgun mic. Build your way up by gaining more experience time.

Good Luck!

OK so another question.

Why don't you guys recommend full frame lens cammeras like a 6D at least? Why is it so important to start off with entry level hardware?

The 6D is Canon's affordable full-frame camera, it be awesome if you went with it. If you really feel that you want to jump into the higher end gear right away, thats great! Having a full frame DSLR could definitely help with recording in tight spaces. The Canon 24-105 f/4 L is a great lens. I hate how its referred to as a 'kit lens' since it comes with the 5D's and the 6D! Personally I work with the Canon 60D with the 24-105mm f/4 L, I believe its perfect for video work. If you've got the money and you're sure that you are serious about this, then investing in a full frame would be a good thing to do.

Something that I thought I'd add as is that, if you considered in getting a 5D Mark II or Mark III, those can record up to about 24-30 minutes if I remember correctly. Though they both split the video clips at the 4GB mark. If you have money go for it! 

Good Luck!

Ok so i do want to go with the 6D but u have some limitations that may force me to go with the 60D

Being a one man operation I won't have a camera man, so the flippy screen on the 60D would be awesome to help me moniter the shot while still being in the shot.

However if there is some way I can "take over" the camera with an iPad sitting next to me that would be ideal. Does anything like that exist?

I personally love the 60D, very easy to use.

It seems that you want a feature such as the EOS Remote App for the 6d, though with an iPad im not sure if there are any other techniques to imitate that app. the 6D has built in wifi, that's why it works with just an app.

There is an app in the google Play store (means android only) called DSLR controller. You can use it to control pretty much all the main functions on your camera. Change ISO, shutter speed, aperture, white balance, drive mode, etc. The app is in late beta but it has little to no bugs (from my use of it, I use it as an external monitor for video). It even has features for time laps and saving the pictures straight to your phone/device. I use the app with my Samsung Galaxy S3. The App isn't free though, it costs $7.99 USD.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiZXUuY2hhaW5maXJlLmRzbHJjb250cm9sbGVyIl0.

IMPORTANT: You also need to purchase an active mini USB female USB On-The-Go (OTG) cable such as this one (thats the one I use). It all depends on your device. With that you are going to need the data transfer cable that comes with the Canon DSLR. Plug that into the OTG cable then into your phone/android device.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Micro-USB-Host-Mode-Cable-OTG-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S-III-S3-i9300-Note-i717-/360608214922?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item53f5ecaf8a

Personally, if you are just starting out, I'd say just grab a rebel or a 60D. Investing on a 6D or a 5D mk 2 or 3 is a wee bit too much. IMHO its better to invest in your lenses and microphones and pursue higher end DSLR bodies later on. 

Main Gaming Rig/Folding Machine: Core i7 3770k @ 4.7GHz / H100 with Sickleflow Fans/ Corsair 600t / XFX 6950 / 16GB DDR3

Folding/Media PC: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/ Fractal Design Core 1000 / 4GB DDR2 

Ultrabook : Samsung NP530 Ultrabook. 

Ok so i do want to go with the 6D but u have some limitations that may force me to go with the 60D

Being a one man operation I won't have a camera man, so the flippy screen on the 60D would be awesome to help me moniter the shot while still being in the shot.

However if there is some way I can "take over" the camera with an iPad sitting next to me that would be ideal. Does anything like that exist?

What kind of lens have you considered? Looked at any mics yet?

Hmm, I hadn't got around to researching lenes and or mics yet. That was the next step I suppose.

P.s. Where would be the go to place for cameras and lenses once I finally decide what to go with?

Hmm, I hadn't got around to researching lenes and or mics yet. That was the next step I suppose.

P.s. Where would be the go to place for cameras and lenses once I finally decide what to go with?

Here are some of the sites that I use when searching for gear:

http://www.amazon.com/

http://www.ebay.com/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

http://www.adorama.com/

Other than those sites, don't forget about the websites of the gear that you have. Examples:

http://www.canon.com/

http://www.nikon.com/

etc.

Let me know when you find out what camera body you're going with.

If you're just starting, invest in lenses and a good microphone. The body I recommend for starting is a 650D.

As for the camcorders - unless you get something really expensive (that has a big sensor) the quality will actually be worse than a DSLR.

would you reccomend the 1100d for video recording and occassional picture taking?

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

I suggest Nikon over Canon.

Nikon has a distinct sensor advantage in both colour depth, dynamic range and ISO performance.

It is also cheaper to get started with lenses for a Nikon system, and the build quality is generally higher.

I know it's typical to get a lot of Canon recommendations on American-heavy communities, because "made in Americah *pounds chest*" etc. but really, Canon has lost most, nearly all, of the advantages they used to have over Nikon. The last generation was brutal for Canon, as Nikon improved their sensor technology by a huge amount and Canon were left scratching their heads. They still retain their advantage of superior super-tele lenses, but that really doesn't affect anyone but sports and wild animal photographers.

If you have the cash to be thinking about a Canon 5D mark III, I suggest you use that cash on a Nikon D800 or D600 instead. Better sensors, and it saves you money.

As for a mic, it depends what you want (shotgun/ room) but my favourite is a compromise, the Zoom H4n.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

would you reccomend the 1100d for video recording and occassional picture taking?

I wouldn't recommend a 1100D right now as it is quite old and only records in 720p.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I wouldn't recommend a 1100D right now as it is quite old and only records in 720p.

ok so the best option would be to save a little moremoney and get the 650d?

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

ok so the best option would be to save a little moremoney and get the 650d?

If you can find good deals on the 600D that's also good. If not, the 650D is the way to go.

osu! profile

If you can find good deals on the 600D that's also good. If not, the 650D is the way to go.

ok thanks for your help :)

I know it's typical to get a lot of Canon recommendations on American-heavy communities, because "made in Americah *pounds chest*"

The top of the range Canons are all made in Japan, the lower models may be made elsewhere usually China, Singapore etc and certain components/lenses in EU and US, but all models may be produced in Japan.

In stills I have to say noise does look better on the Nikon side, but if you compare a 5d3 and D800 in terms of video, there are huge differences in noise produced favoring the Canon

That being said the only thing that would really put me off choosing a Nikon for video is the inability to adjust aperture in live view, to me that would be seriously annoying.

You really can't go wrong with Canon and their video. 

After watching that ill probs go with the 6D because that wifi control is exactly what I need for my one man operation. That is assuming It works for video as well as stills.. Will have to look into that some more.

Well the wifi plus the video looked better lol.

Edit. Turns out wifi doesn't support video... With the official app anyway. Will look into other options.