4 GPUs from one power supply?

SergeyB

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is a silly question but power supplies are confusing me for some reason

I'm trying to feed 4 GPUs from a single power supply. Is this layout enough for 4 GPUs? Each GPU has two 6+2 connectors.

Thanks!
-Sergey.

81WNZZT781L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

1 minute ago, SergeyB said:

I'm trying to feed 4 GPUs from a single power supply. Is this layout enough for 4 GPUs? Each GPU has two 6+2 connectors.

What graphics cards and PSU are you talking about?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

These are gonna be 4 1080 Ti's but they will run with a power limit of up to 185-190w.
and the power supply is Corsair HX Series, HX850 (850w)

These are gonna be 4 1080 Ti's but they will run with a power limit of up to 185-190w.
and the power supply is Corsair HX Series, HX850 (850w)

190x4 = 760W

Accounting for power spikes, yes, but barely. Are you hooking up a full system to it or just GPUs?

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

190x4 = 760W

Accounting for power spikes, yes, but barely. Are you hooking up a full system to it or just GPUs?

just gpus, they are gonna be running on a very low power board and cpu.
I could get a 1000w supply, but my question was about the modular layout of it. Are there enough connectors to feed 4 gpus?
for some reason it's confusing to me lol

just gpus, they are gonna be running on a very low power board and cpu.
I could get a 1000w supply, but my question was about the modular layout of it. Are there enough connectors to feed 4 gpus?
for some reason it's confusing to me lol

Based on the specs on Corsair's website, no. a 1080 Ti needs 2 8-pins, and you have 4, 2x4 = 8. This has 6, and no you will not use splitters.

elephants

4 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Based on the specs on Corsair's website, no. a 1080 Ti needs 2 8-pins, and you have 4, 2x4 = 8. This has 6, and no you will not use splitters.

well that's where my confusion starts. This power supply comes with 3 cables, each of which splits into two 6+2 connectors. 2x3=6. but the power supply has 4 (or 5?) 8 pin connectors. Can I just buy additional cables in this case and feed 4 gpus?
Or am I looking at the wrong connectors? which ones are the 6+2 cables connect to??

Inked71bjig54yHL._AC_SL1500__LI.jpg

Just now, SergeyB said:

well that's where my confusion starts. This power supply comes with 3 cables, each of which splits into two 6+2 connectors. 2x3=6. but the power supply has 4 (or 5?) 8 pin connectors. Can I just buy additional cables in this case and feed 4 gpus?
Or am I looking at the wrong connectors? which ones are the 6+2 cables connect to??

Inked71bjig54yHL._AC_SL1500__LI.jpg

If your PSU doesn't have enough cables for what you want it to do, it's for a reason.

I strongly recommend getting a better PSU, that has the cables you need without needing to buy more.

elephants

Just now, FakeKGB said:

If your PSU doesn't have enough cables for what you want it to do, it's for a reason.

I strongly recommend getting a better PSU, that has the cables you need without needing to buy more.

That sounds like a good advice. The amount of sockets on the supply just made me wonder.
Thanks!

8 hours ago, SergeyB said:

but the power supply has 4 (or 5?) 8 pin connectors. Can I just buy additional cables in this case and feed 4 gpus?

Yes. Each one of the 8pin connectors on your HX accepts either a PCI-E cable or an EPS cable.

You can connect as many PCI-E cables as you want, as long as you don't exceed the 850W limit. There is absolutely nothing wrong about that. Corsair made the modular panel like this so people can use it for a range of different applications.