Unable to run cpu benchmarks correctly

I have a i9 9900 non k version. Whenever I run a benchmarking software such as cinebench, the test starts at 4.6 ghz on the mulri core then runs well below the boost speed i.e around 3.4 ghz with the cpu temp at 50 degrees. I have checked with msi afterburner when running cyberpunk and the cpu is running between 4.2 to 4.4 ghz with the temps at high 60's or low 70's so the games seem to run fine. Not sure why I have an issue with benchmarking software.

What's your motherboard, and what Cinebench scores are you getting?

What are the turbo power limits set to in the BIOS? The non K CPUs have a 65W TDP power rating. When set to the default 65W, they will throttle like crazy when fully loaded.

Use HWiNFO64. It will show you the reasons for throttling. Right now it will show you PL1 power limit throttling.

Increase both turbo power limits up to 200W or 250W and you will get significantly more full load performance.

I have an asrock b365m phantom gaming 4 motherboard, I don't see the option to increase turbo limits in the bios. Where in the bios would I find this?

20 minutes ago, remo233 said:

asrock b365m

Go into the BIOS to OC Tweaker, CPU Configuration.

Scroll down until you find the Long Duration Power Limit and the Short Duration Power Limit. I am guessing that your long PL1 power limit is set to default which is 65W. You need to increase both of those power limits significantly if you want consistent full load performance.

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B365M Phantom Gaming 4.pdf

Sorry but it is now crashing after putting in the power limits to 140 when running the stress test. Going to try and lower this and see if it helps.

Ok so set the limits to 128 and it seems to be fine but I do not reach the maximum turbo of 4.6 ghz on all the cores, only get to 4.4 ghz but it still crashes. Wondering now if there is an issue with my cpu.

16157589377122957030090830028571.jpg

Your screenshot shows Power Limit Throttling. It cannot reach full speed at full load if you set the power limits too low.

Your computer is likely crashing because the CPU voltage is not set correctly or maybe your motherboard simply cannot deliver enough power to the CPU. That is why people buy the more expensive Z series motherboards,

So I came across am article which stated the following:

Raising that power limit to an absurdly high level in the UEFI BIOS results in the CPU having a stable long-term all-core Turbo of about 4.6GHz with a 1.28v VCore, CPU power consumption is around 160-watts.

So I can see my cpu is set to auto. Do I need to select the fixed or variable option in the bios and select 1.28 to get this stable?

I think I have identified the issue, it may be the vrm overheating when it runs at 4.6 ghz which causes the crash. I hear a clicking sound from the motherboard and the system freezes after running the stress test with the power limit increased.