Replaced gpu and psu and now pc wont boot

maizenblue

I replaced my gpu with an evga 3070 ftw and my psu with a seasonic gx-850 at the same time. Now it wont boot. 

when i hit power it seems like its going to start and case fans do a slight turn then nothing. After that i have to turn off power at back of psu and back on before it does the slight fan turn again. 

Motherboard lights up though as long as power on back of psu is on. 

Never had this happen before and im stumped and a tad worried. Not sure where to begin trouble shooting. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

17 minutes ago, maizenblue said:

I replaced my gpu with an evga 3070 ftw and my psu with a seasonic gx-850 at the same time. Now it wont boot. 

when i hit power it seems like its going to start and case fans do a slight turn then nothing. After that i have to turn off power at back of psu and back on before it does the slight fan turn again. 

Motherboard lights up though as long as power on back of psu is on. 

Never had this happen before and im stumped and a tad worried. Not sure where to begin trouble shooting. 

Try clearing the CMOS, then try and reseat the GPU and reconnect the power cables. If those dont work, then try the old GPU if you still have it, if that works then its possibly a gpu problem, if it doesnt boot then try the old PSU, you should be able to boot with a low wattage gpu at least enough to get to windows, if the old PSU works then there is an issue with the new one.

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

Im assuming it wouldn't be the gpu since it would still go to the bios screen if the gpu was bricked wouldn't it? Its amd so no igpu, but still start up and spin right?

It has to be the psu, or i connected something wrong since its modular and my prev one wasnt. Im about to swap psus and see if that works, its just a little time consuming. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

it might be cpu, this exact thing happened to me at the start of 2021, bought a pc from my brother and replaced mobo+ram, it worked for 3 days and then on the 4th day i come downstairs to my setup and i press the power button, fans spin for a second, but then it auto shuts off, i have the psu+gpu+drives in a new rig, so that was not the problem, never had a second cpu to test mobo+ram, but when i built my second system, i decided to test the old cpu and it would not post, posted before i swapped my working one with my dead one, and thats when i knew the cpu was dead. i had returned the upgrades since i wanted money to buy new parts for my second rig.

also i should mention before i did the upgrades, it worked just fine and i had used it for 2 weeks without the upgrades, but the 8gb gpu was bottlenecked and i wanted to try new parts

if you have a second cpu that would work, try your old parts and your new parts

1 minute ago, xdXot1c said:

it might be cpu, this exact thing happened to me at the start of 2021, bought a pc from my brother and replaced mobo+ram, it worked for 3 days and then on the 4th day i come downstairs to my setup and i press the power button, fans spin for a second, but then it auto shuts off, i have the psu+gpu+drives in a new rig, so that was not the problem, never had a second cpu to test mobo+ram, but when i built my second system, i decided to test the old cpu and it would not post, posted before i swapped my working one with my dead one, and thats when i knew the cpu was dead. i had returned the upgrades since i wanted money to buy new parts for my second rig.

I just tested the psu with the psu plug tester thingy and it works ie tge fan spins. So its not a dead psu. 

the cpu worked fine before i swapped stuff BUT as i was moving the case my sweater got stuck on the noctua heat sink and i had to drag it off it so im worried friction could have created static electricity which traveled from heat sink to cpu and fried it. Seems far fetched but who knows. 

next ill install my old psu i guess. 

if you have a second cpu, i would strongly recommend trying it

Noctuas d15 heat sink is so friggin huge it makes doing anything on my pc a nightmare. Will always use an aio from now on. Its that annoying. 

the pc i had was also amd, here were the specs before and after the upgrades,

before

ryzen 5 1400 4 core 8 thread

xfx rx 580 fatboy

16gb of ddr4

thermaltake case

700 watt psu from thermaltake

1tb hdd and 128gb nvme ssd

hp motherboard

after 

asrock b450m pro4

2x16gb sticks of patriot viper 3200mhz ram ddr4

xfx rx 580 fatboy

ryzen 5 1400

700 watt psu thermaltake

thermaltake case

1tb hdd and 128gb nvme ssd

just please, i am 100,000,000% recommending that you put a different cpu in, i know it might be a pain in the a**, but that is most likely your problem, you described it like how i would for my problem. if you dont have one, ok, try your other parts, but if you do, i could 99.999% gaurantee thats your problem, it might have burnt out, thats what happened to my ryzen 5 1400

10 minutes ago, xdXot1c said:

just please, i am 100,000,000% recommending that you put a different cpu in, i know it might be a pain in the a**, but that is most likely your problem, you described it like how i would for my problem. if you dont have one, ok, try your other parts, but if you do, i could 99.999% gaurantee thats your problem, it might have burnt out, thats what happened to my ryzen 5 1400

Yeah i hear u. Just assumed a dead cpu would still see my fans spin and things start up but never boot. Tomorrow ill take it to microcenter where i got the gpu and just pay them to look at it. Meanwhile im swapping the psu to my old one then my gpu to old one if that does nothing. 

if i killed my cpu because of noctuas gargantuan heat sink snagging im going to destroy that thing with a hammer. Ive never hated a piece of computer hardware so much. Good temps arent worth the hassle that thing has caused me. Just installing it was an ordeal. 

Update. 

i reinstalled everything back to how it was and it booted up just fine. So now im stumped. 

i musta routed things wrong somehow, but it doesnt seem like you CAN route it wrong. 2 8 pin pci expresses went from psu to gpu. Mobo connecter can only go one way near as i can tell. 

im stumped. Gpu could be doa but i would still have fans spin right?

i may bring it to mc and have them install it because i am effin done plugging things in and out with noctuas evil heat sink getting in the way and cutting me and i dont wanba screw things up after paying 700 for this gpu. 

one things for sure. I am literally going to either use my d15 for target practice or smash it with a hammer and get an aio. 

try the 3070 only, no other new parts and see if it boots/posts, if it does not, you have a dead/malfunctioning gpu on your hands

3 minutes ago, xdXot1c said:

try the 3070 only, no other new parts and see if it boots/posts, if it does not, you have a dead/malfunctioning gpu on your hands

Yeah i might. But my okd gpu only had one 8 pin pci express and this gpu requires 2 so i gotta dig up my old psu box and find another pci e connector since the seasonics dont work with the old psu. 

Im wondering. If the gpu wasnt fully seated if it would do what it did. The bracket for that gpu seemed kind of out of spec so it was super hard to get the slot lines up right and u cant see sh#t thanks to the d15 heat sink blocking your view. Old gpu slots right in and out but not the new one. I have to do lots of finageling and dont hear or feel a click and cant see if the quick release lever thing is full up. Of course because the d15 heat sink makes that impossible. It SEEMED seated. 

its the out of specish bracket that makes me want microcenter to install it. I assume they can tell if it was manufactured so badly it wont work. 

be warned gpu manufacturers are trying to pump out 3000 series gpus so fast ive heard of all kinds of shoddy manufacturing and problems with these gpus. Ive never had a crooked bracket before. Think its still doable but with the issues i had dont know. 

15 hours ago, maizenblue said:

Im wondering. If the gpu wasnt fully seated if it would do what it did. The bracket for that gpu seemed kind of out of spec so it was super hard to get the slot lines up right and u cant see sh#t thanks to the d15 heat sink blocking your view. Old gpu slots right in and out but not the new one. I have to do lots of finageling and dont hear or feel a click and cant see if the quick release lever thing is full up. Of course because the d15 heat sink makes that impossible. It SEEMED seated. 

its the out of specish bracket that makes me want microcenter to install it. I assume they can tell if it was manufactured so badly it wont work. 

be warned gpu manufacturers are trying to pump out 3000 series gpus so fast ive heard of all kinds of shoddy manufacturing and problems with these gpus. Ive never had a crooked bracket before. Think its still doable but with the issues i had dont know. 

GPUs are always a PITA to install in my experience, they require more force than you'd think, Linus even covered this recently.

The D15 shouldn't be that much of a problem, I've re-built my PC multiple times recently because I upgraded the motherboard, then downgraded again because it sucked, and switched cases twice.  It was tricky aiming for the slot when you can't see it, but once in the slot it shouldn't be an issue.  The hardest part is getting the GPU out again because the D15 blocks the retention clip release, especially bad as I have an ITX board.

When installing the card you put the screws in loose then just to be sure push the bottom of the GPU firmly before fully tightening them to make sure its still in the slot fully, although as the slots lock it shouldn't be able to come out anyway.

I certainly don't think its a reason to go AIO.  I had been thinking about doing so recently for a new build but all reviews still suggest the D15 wins over most AIO unless you go for something over 240mm.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

so? did you change psu's? and did you try to clear cmos 

22 hours ago, xdXot1c said:

so? did you change psu's? and did you try to clear cmos 

When I transferred everything to a new case it worked like a charm. I failed to realize the 3070 ftw was larger than a 2 slot card like my last gpu so the very bottom of the gpu cooler shroud was hitting against a removable slot cover meaning i probably couldn't fully seat the gpu(i think). 

Either way installing it in my new case i realized this right away and opened 3 slots in the case and had no problems. Could have been some other issue with psu wires or connectors i overlooked that i did right in the new case, but i think it was the gpu not being fully seated.