Is it possible to get a prompt in Windows 10 when shutting down the pc?

Shammikit

So once in a while when I want to hit sleep in my laptop I accidentally hit shutdown and without any prompts or warnings this thing would shut itself off. Very annoying.

Previously if I had something open or running and I hit shutdown, windows would give me a warning stating there are things running/open and asking if I'm sure. but now for some reason even that message doesn't come up even when im running something like a vmware. 

I did some searching and I came across this solution to get a shutdown prompt:

https://superuser.com/questions/1019041/how-to-make-the-power-button-show-a-prompt-in-windows-10

To me it didnt work. It still shuts down as said before. I was wondering if any one got any ideas to get something done to this. Thanks.

Are you talking Windows 10 Home or Pro?

I've just enabled "Display Shutdown Event Tracker" on Windows 10 Pro and when I click on shutdown I now get a prompt asking me for a reason. Very likely that option isn't available/doesn't work on Home. Might also be the hardware key overrides this.

You can also go into Power Options, then "Choose what the power buttons do" and set "When I press the power buttons" -> "Do nothing"

image.png.78d7fbcd4864f6cc4e911d78c267c813.png

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

10 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Are you talking Windows 10 Home or Pro?

I've just enabled "Display Shutdown Event Tracker" on Windows 10 Pro and when I click on shutdown I now get a prompt asking me for a reason. Very likely that option isn't available/doesn't work on Home. Might also be the hardware key overrides this.

You can also go into Power Options, then "Choose what the power buttons do" and set "When I press the power buttons" -> "Do nothing"

image.png.78d7fbcd4864f6cc4e911d78c267c813.png

Im on Windows 10 Home. Its just stupid to not have any warning message built in to all editions by default.

9 hours ago, Shammikit said:

Im on Windows 10 Home. Its just stupid to not have any warning message built in to all editions by default.

You could just configure your power button to make your PC sleep, then use the power button to send it to sleep and only use the menu when you want to actually shut down.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I agree with the above. But, to answer your question directly: Yes you can. Somewhat. It will work like when you shutdown or restart your system while having an unsaved project/document. Basically, Windows has support for a program to know when the system is being shut down/restart/logoff, and tell the Windows "Hold it!". That said, you'll get the screen saying that a program is holding the shutdown/restart and you can Cancel (which it will make Windows cancel the shutdown "mid way") or force resume the shutdown/restart/logoff process.

To do this, you'll need to make a program that exactly implement the event and API mentioned to do what you want... at least the closest to what you want.

Your best bet, and much easier, is to change the behaviour of the power button as mentioned above.

13 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I agree with the above. But, to answer your question directly: Yes you can. Somewhat. It will work like when you shutdown or restart your system while having an unsaved project/document. Basically, Windows has support for a program to know when the system is being shut down/restart/logoff, and tell the Windows "Hold it!". That said, you'll get the screen saying that a program is holding the shutdown/restart and you can Cancel (which it will make Windows cancel the shutdown "mid way") or force resume the shutdown/restart/logoff process.

It used to work like that. When an application is open it would say: there are apps opened do u still wish to continue. and here i could cancel it but for some reason that doesnt come anymore. dont know what the reason is