10600K Thermals, Problems?

I am having a bit of trouble evaluating my thermals on my new set up.

I just upgraded to a new board with a 10600k. But my temps just seem to high and my system too loud.

And by too loud i mean i keep every fan at around 80% to keep my temp down 38-40c at idle. This is with a top mounted H100i v2 (33.5c at idle) in a push pull set up with corsair fans.

My case is an uncrowded and cleaned corsair 540 (gave it a goof cleaning when i put the new board in) my ambient is 25c and the 4 temp sensors in my case/board range 34 36 39 and 44c at idle.

under a load with the Intel ETU stress test with AVX2. I don't have an OC just the regular boost up to 4.6ghz. I don't get throttling but I peak at 87c under full load with a average about 82c with dips down to 74c. I did have a 4.8 set at one point but had a few crashes and reverted.

These numbers seem real off compared to my last setup which was the same cooler fan and case arrangement but was a 6700k. What are your thoughts?

image.png.a214af9faed211609cf6ef036a0ec353.png

Looks fine to me. If it doesn't hit 100c, then you're good. 

The reason this chip is hotter is higher clocks and higher transistor density. So its a much more powerful cpu than your old 6700k.

What motherboard do you have? Some boards are using too much voltage. Start by running HWiNFO and see what sort of VCore reading it shows. 

1.15V should be enough to run reliably at 4600 MHz. Most of the time the voltage is a lot higher than that. This creates a lot of unnecessary power consumption and heat.

I have a Gigabyte Z490 Vision D. Intel ETU tells me I am running at 1.319V

XTU reports the VID voltage. This is not the same as core voltage.

Try running a -50 mV to -100 mV offset in the BIOS.

XTU is the weakest stress test there is, even easier than A64. At stock value, I don't believe you should be hitting 80c+ especially with 10th gen improved thermals.

Did you try reseating your cooler?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

@Mister WoofI did re-seat the cooler, every think looked normal a small amount of paste was on the edge but nothing serious. I even manipulated the head to let out any trapped air (however unlikely that was was I wanted to sure). I need correct though I had max boost set to 4.7 not 4.6. Thermals came out the same in the stress test.

@unclewebb Bios has it at 1.2v. I have not yet tried the off set in bios yet

8 minutes ago, Redfox1524 said:

@Mister WoofI did re-seat the cooler, every think looked normal a small amount of paste was on the edge but nothing serious. I even manipulated the head to let out any trapped air (however unlikely that was was I wanted to sure). I need correct though I had max boost set to 4.7 not 4.6. Thermals came out the same in the stress test.

@unclewebb Bios has it at 1.2v. I have not yet tried the off set in bios yet

You know what, I think I'm mistaken.

I haven't touched XTU in years, and the last time I used it, there was no AVX2 test.

Mine hits 85c at 1.38v at 5ghz delidded with liquid metal with a Deep Ass 3.

The STANDARD stress test is the weak one.

I think you're probably about right.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

@Mister Woof  Thanks a bunch for the info. I take it about 40c idle is reasonable as well, compared to what you get?

2 minutes ago, Redfox1524 said:

@Mister Woof  Thanks a bunch for the info. I take it about 40c idle is reasonable as well, compared to what you get?

Idles aren't really a big deal. I wouldn't worry about 40 at all.

Thanks a lot yall, especially @Mister Woof . I was worried I got a bad chip or had an AIO going bad guess in the end the baseline thermals between the 6700k and 10600k were enough to have me concerned. I guess I will adjust my cooling to get it back to quite level (better fans ect.), so that, as my wife said, it doesn't sound like my PC is about to take off. 

9 minutes ago, Redfox1524 said:

Thanks a lot yall, especially @Mister Woof . I was worried I got a bad chip or had an AIO going bad guess in the end the baseline thermals between the 6700k and 10600k were enough to have me concerned. I guess I will adjust my cooling to get it back to quite level (better fans ect.), so that, as my wife said, it doesn't sound like my PC is about to take off. 

I think we all just forgot about AVX2 -

This is a screen from the old XTU:

Intel_XTU_Main_Stress213.png

I never even knew they added AVX2 as an option.

AVX2 is just way more heat intensive - i don't think you'll encounter it much in day to day tasks

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

AVX2 is just way more heat intensive - i don't think you'll encounter it much in day to day tasks

Triple A game titles (DX12) use AVX/2 instruction sets. 

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Triple A game titles (DX12) use AVX/2 instruction sets. 

I haven't noticed them heating up my CPU like XTU did though, wow I was surprised at how fast it got to the mid-high 80s compared to even cinebench, Realbench, or A64.

In contrast the normal XTU test is really tame.

4 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I haven't noticed them heating up my CPU like XTU did though, wow I was surprised at how fast it got to the mid-high 80s compared to even cinebench, Realbench, or A64.

Cause most games aren't going to scale past 8 threads or cores. Burn in programs load memory, cpu core and cpu cache 100% - depending on the demand of the stress test.

edit: I believe OCCT you can pick AVX AMD old, AVX or AVX2 or without AVX instruction sets. Generally I only use this program for Linpack and large data sets. 12gb for 16gb installed. I do this so windblows doesn't try to push the stress test to page file. 

Edited by ShrimpBrime
Additional Comment

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Cause most games aren't going to scale past 8 threads or cores. Burn in programs load memory, cpu core and cpu cache 100% - depending on the demand of the stress test.

I guess this is part of why people seem to recommend earlier versions of P95 or to test without AVX - 

I don't use that program, just Realbench. I know that program does use AVX, but not AVX2. I like that one because it's pretty realistic and stresses both components.

Although I still find it is way more heat than any game I've actually played.

9 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I guess this is part of why people seem to recommend earlier versions of P95 or to test without AVX - 

I don't use that program, just Realbench. I know that program does use AVX, but not AVX2. I like that one because it's pretty realistic and stresses both components.

Although I still find it is way more heat than any game I've actually played.

I only stress test at realistic clocks. It's a beating on the hardware. There is such a thing as too much testing imo. 

For example....

I've watched FurMark completely KILL many many GPUs through the years. dozens and dozens. I stopped using it many many years ago. Either it passes the benchmark or it doesn't adjust accordingly. (But I'm benching, not looking at daily clocks) 

Daily clocks, I leave my cards stock. A lot of times the CPU as well. Main rig is treated like a baby. I need the redundancy more than a few % additional in gains. 

10 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I only stress test at realistic clocks. It's a beating on the hardware. There is such a thing as too much testing imo. 

For example....

I've watched FurMark completely KILL many many GPUs through the years. dozens and dozens. I stopped using it many many years ago. Either it passes the benchmark or it doesn't adjust accordingly. (But I'm benching, not looking at daily clocks) 

Daily clocks, I leave my cards stock. A lot of times the CPU as well. Main rig is treated like a baby. I need the redundancy more than a few % additional in gains. 

A lot of times I think people are really strange about how they test things - if you compared it to cars for example, and MTBF testing.

Yes this is something that a manufacturer needs to test during development and during QC, but once it's off the line, it's off the line. And this metric really depends on the application.

Acceptable MTBF for a light duty truck isn't going to be the same as a heavy duty truck, but stressing out your light duty truck to "make sure it's reliable" to the standards of a heavy duty truck isn't helpful, it just puts unnecessary stress on a part in a way it wasn't designed to operate.

So yeah, I know in terms of overclocking you're already doing that anyway. I can see people doing some bolt ons or turbos to their cars and doing a few simple tests, but nobody is going to run their engines at redline to make sure the turbo won't blow up your engine.

But I see these comments on the internet where "unless it passes 24 hours of P95 it's not stable!" and I have to question the wisdom of such beliefs.

I mean, sure go ahead. But you won't see me putting 10,000 rounds through my rifle to make sure the barrel is good, only to wear out the rifling and need a new one to test again to make sure its up to my standards.

So I have an update. Since I decided to to address the noise issue with some new hardware, I got some drastic changes. Since my AIO vented going out over top I wanted to switch to and AIO at the front of the case. As the Corsair 540 supports a 360 radiator and my H100i v2 was only a 240, I decided upgrade at the same time. The new AIO is a EVGA CLC 360 they were on sale for just over 100 on amazon. the H100i I had was in push and pull fan sandwich with 4 fans, and the EVGA I left with 3 fans, not directly equatable but they should be close to each other. But the difference is drastic. I went from a peak of 87c down to 70c under full load with a average about 82c down to 61c, and a low going from 74c to 53c. My H100i v2 has been running for almost 4 years. So it might have been ready to give out. Maybe it was low on fluid maybe something was ready to give out and having been moved around for a new board went out. who knows, it did not give me much of sign before it happened, no whining or noise.

test new evga617053.png

5 minutes ago, Redfox1524 said:

So I have an update. Since I decided to to address the noise issue with some new hardware, I got some drastic changes. Since my AIO vented going out over top I wanted to switch to and AIO at the front of the case. As the Corsair 540 supports a 360 radiator and my H100i v2 was only a 240, I decided upgrade at the same time. The new AIO is a EVGA CLC 360 they were on sale for just over 100 on amazon. the H100i I had was in push and pull fan sandwich with 4 fans, and the EVGA I left with 3 fans, not directly equatable but they should be close to each other. But the difference is drastic. I went from a peak of 87c down to 70c under full load with a average about 82c down to 61c, and a low going from 74c to 53c. My H100i v2 has been running for almost 4 years. So it might have been ready to give out. Maybe it was low on fluid maybe something was ready to give out and having been moved around for a new board went out. who knows, it did not give me much of sign before it happened, no whining or noise.

test new evga617053.png

Glad you got it figured out!

I also picked up the EVGA 360, from best buy for $109.

Going to be pairing it with a 10900k intake as well.

On 3/9/2021 at 6:33 AM, Redfox1524 said:

I am having a bit of trouble evaluating my thermals on my new set up.

I just upgraded to a new board with a 10600k. But my temps just seem to high and my system too loud.

And by too loud i mean i keep every fan at around 80% to keep my temp down 38-40c at idle. This is with a top mounted H100i v2 (33.5c at idle) in a push pull set up with corsair fans.

My case is an uncrowded and cleaned corsair 540 (gave it a goof cleaning when i put the new board in) my ambient is 25c and the 4 temp sensors in my case/board range 34 36 39 and 44c at idle.

under a load with the Intel ETU stress test with AVX2. I don't have an OC just the regular boost up to 4.6ghz. I don't get throttling but I peak at 87c under full load with a average about 82c with dips down to 74c. I did have a 4.8 set at one point but had a few crashes and reverted.

These numbers seem real off compared to my last setup which was the same cooler fan and case arrangement but was a 6700k. What are your thoughts?

image.png.a214af9faed211609cf6ef036a0ec353.png

Those thermals would be good.

If your CPU was overclocked to 5GHz+ with 1.3V to 1.4V voltage in a stress test.

There is something very wrong with your thermals. Didn't people realize you're using an AIO water cooler? My brother is using a single 120mm ID cooling AIO and his temps NEVER reach 80c+ on stock. And his case isn't even ventilated that well.

Edit: It seems you changed the cooler. The temps are okay, still a bit high imo.