GTX 780 Upgrade Leads to Blue Screens

Flyboy747

So, I just upgraded from my old GTX 670 to a used 780. I triple boot XP x64, Vista, and 7 for the heck of it. I never had issues before the upgrade, but now I get a brief flash of BSOD before the system hard resets. This is true of all three OSs. I tried the card in another system running Windows 10, and I got into Windows just fine, so I know it “works” at least that much. Any ideas?

Motherboard is an Asrock 980DE3/U3S3

Cpu is an FX 8320

PSU is a 750w PowerSpec

You need to boot each is with the old gpu, ddu the drivers, and reinstall with the latest 780 driver in each os.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I gave that a go, but now the old card gives the same results. I can’t even get in via safe mode.

Hit f8. Boot in vga mode. Also check your hard disk smart for issues using HDTune pro. Post screen shots of drive/s health 

also maybe you haven’t connected the 6/8 pin power connections properly 

I’m not sure what you mean by VGA mode. I assume it is the ‘enable low-resolution video (640x480)’ setting. Booting with that option results in no change.

I think that I need to first boot Windows to use HDTune pro. Once we solve that first hurdle, I’ll see what I can do.

I have tried reseating the power cable a few times, but there was no change.

22C2FA77-26BF-418D-85B1-B145AECB4BE9.thumb.jpeg.e6bdda413a38557398f173f810c7f0e7.jpeg I manage to install Windows on another drive that I had lying around, and put the program on that. I scanned the afflicted drive (henceforth known as Bob for simplicity) and here is the result- no faults.

So, if the hardware is okay, then does that mean it’s software? I can still access all the files on Bob from the other drive, so there are no obvious signs of corruption. Startup repair doesn’t seem to be doing anything when I try it. Any ideas on what to do next?

335F30DC-C367-4E1A-8AAE-9330C65586CA.jpeg
I also managed to take a video of the blue screen and grabbed the one frame where it pops us. I don’t know if this helps at all.

• 1 month later...

on hdtune pro check the health tab and look for bad sectors, current pending sectors, reallocated sectors