Animation and Rendering PC Build

Budget (including currency): 

$3,000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Zbrush, Autodesk Maya, various Adobe programs, Substance Painter and Designer, Unreal Engine 4.

It is going to be used for primarily 3D modeling and rendering, as well as animation and VR and environment design in Unreal Engine 4. Might use it for some gaming, but mostly for large projects. 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I'm looking to build this hopefully in a few months. I know there is a mess with GPUs right now, I'm not in a rush and I'm mostly in a planning stage, and I might start picking up things now like the case. 

I'm currently using an Alienware 17 R5 laptop, intel core i9 @ 2.9 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080 graphics card.  I'm looking for something that will keep a cooler cpu, and has lots of storage. I'm new to PC building this will be my first, and I'm excited to learn and get advice. 

EDIT:

With graphics cards still being hard to find. What are the overall thoughts and reviews around purchasing a pre-made CORSAIR ( Like this https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Systems/CORSAIR-VENGEANCE-i7200-Series-Gaming-PC/p/CS-9050007-NA#tab-faqs)  Do they have decent turn around from order to delivery?  Would this leave me open to upgrading parts like the CPU or GPU individually in the future? What are the thoughts around these?

Edited by Krisanthemum
Asking an additional question

So laptop is a requirement?  You do t generally build laptops you buy them.

build is for desktops.  If you WANT a desktop there are options.  You can stick a LOT more memory in them for one thing which can speed stuff up a bunch depending on job size. Also better monitors. Much of what you’re talking about is cores over clock speed but not all of it.  Would normally say AMD over Intel.  More cores.  

It used to be Adobe stuff liked intel better than AMD. I don’t know if that is still true. 

One common way to get around the GPU issue is buy a prebuilt because they have access to hardware home builders can’t get lately.  There was a guy looking hard at a 5900x with a 3080 from origin PC.  The memory was crap but considering the amount of it you may need crap may still be massively expensive. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

45 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

where does he says he requires a laptop?

57 minutes ago, Krisanthemum said:

I'm new to PC building this will be my first, and I'm excited to learn and get advice. 

Provided you can find graphic card for MSRP which is not easy 

Intel is expected to introduce new cpu this month. As you have mentioned, gpu prices and availability are insane. 

When Intel releases it's 11th gen cpu check the independent reviews and benchmarks. Check back here when you are closer to making purchase decisions.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

build is for desktops.  If you WANT a desktop there are options.  You can stick a LOT more memory in them for one thing which can speed stuff up a bunch depending on job size. Also better monitors. Much of what you’re talking about is cores over clock speed but not all of it.  Would normally say AMD over Intel.  More cores.  

It used to be Adobe stuff liked intel better than AMD. I don’t know if that is still true. 

One common way to get around the GPU issue is buy a prebuilt because they have access to hardware home builders can’t get lately.  There was a guy looking hard at a 5900x with a 3080 from origin PC.  The memory was crap but considering the amount of it you may need crap may still be massively expensive. 

Thank you for responding, this gave me some more ideas on what I need to research. Being a laptop is not a requirement and actually what I'd like to move away from. I'm currently using a laptop and need something stronger which is why I want to build a PC. My goal is to get a list together of what to get and look for and start purchasing in two months, assuming availability is back. 

6 hours ago, LpoolTech said:

Thank you so much this is incredibly helpful!

6 hours ago, brob said:

Intel is expected to introduce new cpu this month. As you have mentioned, gpu prices and availability are insane. 

When Intel releases it's 11th gen cpu check the independent reviews and benchmarks. Check back here when you are closer to making purchase decisions.

I did not know they were releasing a new one, I will go research that and follow performance reviews. That's pretty good timing as I'm looking to start purchasing and building in about two months, so that gives a little time for it to get tested out. 

21 minutes ago, Krisanthemum said:

Thank you for responding, this gave me some more ideas on what I need to research. Being a laptop is not a requirement and actually what I'd like to move away from. I'm currently using a laptop and need something stronger which is why I want to build a PC. My goal is to get a list together of what to get and look for and start purchasing in two months, assuming availability is back. 

If it is you’ll want a 3900 or 5900 or something similar for the core count and the biggest gpu you can afford. (12/24 is amazing for multi-gpu stuff) intel has the 10900k which is 10/20.  Might be more available at less insane prices.  Nvidia may have advantages over AMD here for a couple of reasons.  >10bit color with studio drivers is one, (make sure the monitor in question can handle it they can’t always) also some research:  how big are the files you work on so how much memory will you need to not have to drop to swap and quintuple rendering times (not joking with that.  It can even be worse than quintuple)  memory gets pricey fast though.  A lot of desktop systems can handle up to 128gb or DRAM sometimes more. You’ll also want to research the software you want to use.  It used to be that a piece of software sometimes wouldn’t run on anything but a quadro. It’s a lot less common now.  The three levels are anything, Nvidia, quadro or AMD professional card, and quadro only. The quadro are multiple times as expensive for equivelant power as the non quadro AMD cards so it’s worth looking. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.