home server troubleshoot

frozen_53

hey guys i have searched every where for a solution for my problem but nothing helps hope you can do it

heres the problem

i have two pc`s with this specs

main pc : threadripper 2950x 

msi x399 sli plus

32gb ram tridentz 

2x 1070 ti as sli

970 samsung evo 1tb

and a wireless network cart from asus

i use this pc for video editing and 3d modeling and rendering (unreal engine , zbrush , max , premiere , after effect , illustrator are my softwares that i use most of the time ) and of course little bit of dota and battlefield

and heres my server pc that i store all of my data in it

msi 970A - G43

AMD FX-6300 

12 gb of 2400 ram (idk witch brand adata i guess )

MSI AMD 7970 as VGA (hell yeah still rocks in many games ) (and yeah i am kind of msi fanboy)

4x 2tb seagate hdd

and an intel 1gbs network cart

so whene im trying to edit some videos in from network in my main pc the server crashes with no error or blue screen it just stuck i cant even move the mouse and the only way that remains is restarting that server pc specially in after effect or whene im using transitions in primiere  (in max and maya i have no problem)

pleas guys please help im getting mad.

Have you tried copying the files to your PC instead of editing them live off the server?

What does your network utilization look like while under load? Are you capping your available bandwidth while editing or scrubbing a timeline?

What OS is being used on both systems? 

20 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Have you tried copying the files to your PC instead of editing them live off the server?

What does your network utilization look like while under load? Are you capping your available bandwidth while editing or scrubbing a timeline?

What OS is being used on both systems? 

well yeah i have no problem in editing my footages in my main pc
ok so i live in iran( yeaaaah scary country) things like network stuff is kind of rare or to much expensive here . and a good router is so expensive here also ( they produce their own router as name of zyxel and you cant count on that to much) so i did this : i bought an intel mt1000 1Gbs pro series cart for 20 bucks and i have an onboard 1 Gbs network cart on my x399 mainboard and connect them with a cat6 cable then i bought an asus wirless cart for my x399 to connect to router and a direct cable from server pc to router(100 mbs onboard cart)
before i get that intel cart i connected both pc to router and used router network to do my job( u have no idea how much painfull was that ) after doing this setup i had good speed and real time 1080 timeline edit with no problem but this freezes is making me insane. i use windows 10 pro on both pcs and i even tried linux (KDE) but couldn't handle to share server probably so i make a step back to windows. 
i actually tried to monitor server pc while editing nothing suspicion happened .  never reached 100 percent in editing ( it gets 100 percent in rendering but i have no problems in rendering )
is there any chance that because that intel cart is to old (last driver for it released in 2013 ) and causes this problems ?

So you have:

1. Wi-Fi to your router
  2. A wired connection to your router
  3. A wired connection directly to your server

All at once?

48 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

So you have:

1. Wi-Fi to your router

All at once?

There's certainly merit for two of those things, but not all three.

For example I had my PC hooked up to my NAS over 5Gbit over a VLAN and Gigabit to the LAN.  This avoids transfers from SSDs in the NAS from ever swamping Internet traffic.

That said when video editing, surely that's a none issue?  You REALLY don't want Steam or a Windows Update to be downloading while editing anyway.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

29 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

There's certainly merit for two of those things, but not all three.

For example I had my PC hooked up to my NAS over 5Gbit over a VLAN and Gigabit to the LAN.  This avoids transfers from SSDs in the NAS from ever swamping Internet traffic.

That said when video editing, surely that's a none issue?  You REALLY don't want Steam or a Windows Update to be downloading while editing anyway.

Oh most definitely. I have a whole independent 10Gig fiber-optic network for file sharing while the onboard 1Gig is a different network for Internet and WebUI management. Nothing wrong with that. 🙂

I was more focused on trying to decrypt what he said so I'm just trying to put it all together the best I can interpret it. :3

I could see some issues arising if he has Wi-Fi & Ethernet enabled on the same network. Technically Metric set to Auto is suppose to pick the path with the least cost but Windows being Windows I myself have experienced issues with this configuration.

22 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

So you have:

1. Wi-Fi to your router

All at once?

exactly

Oh most definitely. I have a whole independent 10Gig fiber-optic network for file sharing while the onboard 1Gig is a different network for Internet and WebUI management. Nothing wrong with that. 🙂

I was more focused on trying to decrypt what he said so I'm just trying to put it all together the best I can interpret it. :3

I could see some issues arising if he has Wi-Fi & Ethernet enabled on the same network. Technically Metric set to Auto is suppose to pick the path with the least cost but Windows being Windows I myself have experienced issues with this configuration.

well yeah i have separated network for internet and local server. how ever what do you suggest remove the wifi ? actually i dont remember problems like that before doing this setup (even with that shitty 100 mbs network )so there's must be  an issue in network configuration i guess . and if u think windows is the problem what should i do ? go to manjaro or ubunto or  something like that (i have no idea how to work with linux specially in network ) 
and i have to apologize for responding to late i am a nurse and after this pandemic I cant come home to much .

For all the reasons I have to turn people away from depending on Microsoft products. Especially their OS. This isn't really a reason to switch platforms. There's a lot of challenges involved in doing so but well supported GNU/Linux distros are making it easier for people every day.

Does your router only support 100Mbps ports? What you can do is buy a cheap 1Gig switch and connect it to your router then your devices to that 1Gig switch.

What will (or should) happen is the switch has what's called a Forwarding Table. This identifies Layer 2 Source & Destination MAC addresses with-in the network frames. If the destination MAC isn't in the table it sends out a broadcast (all ports but the receiving port). If/when it gets a reply from the interface that has that MAC connected to it that information is added to the table for future use.

Basically what I'm getting at is from here your PC should be able to talk to the server at Gigabit speeds despite the router being 100mbps (if that's the case).

12 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

For all the reasons I have to turn people away from depending on Microsoft products. Especially their OS. This isn't really a reason to switch platforms. There's a lot of challenges involved in doing so but well supported GNU/Linux distros are making it easier for people every day.

Does your router only support 100Mbps ports? What you can do is buy a cheap 1Gig switch and connect it to your router then your devices to that 1Gig switch.

What will (or should) happen is the switch has what's called a Forwarding Table. This identifies Layer 2 Source & Destination MAC addresses with-in the network frames. If the destination MAC isn't in the table it sends out a broadcast (all ports but the receiving port). If/when it gets a reply from the interface that has that MAC connected to it that information is added to the table for future use.

Basically what I'm getting at is from here your PC should be able to talk to the server at Gigabit speeds despite the router being 100mbps (if that's the case).

not a bad idea so you're   saying i convert this configuration to a single network with 1gbs switch right ?
any idea how much this solution can work (i mean stop freezing ) caz i said network stuff is not cheap here  

3 hours ago, frozen_53 said:

not a bad idea so you're   saying i convert this configuration to a single network with 1gbs switch right ?
any idea how much this solution can work (i mean stop freezing ) caz i said network stuff is not cheap here  

When you talk to your server do you use it's IP or it's hostname? If the latter you have three potential paths to the server and Windows has to decide which to take. This can cause problems.

Tracking down network issues like this are often not easy. You're kind of left using trial & error testing things to see if there's any improvement. I can't guarantee this will fix it but as it stands it's not a proper network setup.

When you talk to your server do you use it's IP or it's hostname? If the latter you have three potential paths to the server and Windows has to decide which to take. This can cause problems.

Tracking down network issues like this are often not easy. You're kind of left using trial & error testing things to see if there's any improvement. I can't guarantee this will fix it but as it stands it's not a proper network setup.

no i dont use ip address to work with server just click on shared folder in my workstation ,its kind of reasonable that because of this complicated network cause this issues.
is there any chance that give both system manual ip v4 make things right ?(although i tried to give both pcs manual ip but i couldn't connect theme properly)

10 hours ago, frozen_53 said:

no i dont use ip address to work with server just click on shared folder in my workstation ,its kind of reasonable that because of this complicated network cause this issues.
is there any chance that give both system manual ip v4 make things right ?(although i tried to give both pcs manual ip but i couldn't connect theme properly)

Potentially. If you tell Windows which specific path to take the network setup how it is is less likely the reason for your issues.

So you had added a NIC to both machines and connected them directly yes?

All you have to do is pick a pair of IP's that are in the same subnet but a different network from your LAN.

Most homes don't use the 10.0.0.0 network and because it's fast/easy to type it's my usual preference.

If you follow the below diagram you should be able to set working Static IP's.

Your PC NIC:
         IP: 10.0.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.252

Your server NIC:
         IP: 10.0.0.2

From here if you open File Explorer and go to the navigation bar at the top. Typing:

//10.0.0.2

Then hitting Enter should open a connection with your server.

On 3/13/2021 at 2:09 AM, Windows7ge said:

Potentially. If you tell Windows which specific path to take the network setup how it is is less likely the reason for your issues.

So you had added a NIC to both machines and connected them directly yes?

All you have to do is pick a pair of IP's that are in the same subnet but a different network from your LAN.

Most homes don't use the 10.0.0.0 network and because it's fast/easy to type it's my usual preference.

If you follow the below diagram you should be able to set working Static IP's.

Your PC NIC:
         IP: 10.0.0.1

Your server NIC:
         IP: 10.0.0.2

From here if you open File Explorer and go to the navigation bar at the top. Typing:

//10.0.0.2

Then hitting Enter should open a connection with your server.

ok dude im going to do it right know and let u know what happends

2 hours ago, frozen_53 said:

ok dude im going to do it right know and let u know what happends

this ips didnt work neither

Sounds like somethings wrong with the physical setup then. Either than or there's a human error going on here.

Since you're not trying to do 10Gigbit I would just buy the network switch to test with and disable both the Wi-Fi and extra AIC NIC. See if things improve when Windows only has one path to the server.

Keep the receipt in case it doesn't end up helping.

On 3/17/2021 at 1:57 AM, Windows7ge said:

Sounds like somethings wrong with the physical setup then. Either than or there's a human error going on here.

Since you're not trying to do 10Gigbit I would just buy the network switch to test with and disable both the Wi-Fi and extra AIC NIC. See if things improve when Windows only has one path to the server.

Keep the receipt in case it doesn't end up helping.

thanks alot man . i guess i will go to Italy in 4 month . so i guess i will do this setup there and of course i will be happy to have your discord acount

1 hour ago, frozen_53 said:

thanks alot man . i guess i will go to Italy in 4 month . so i guess i will do this setup there and of course i will be happy to have your discord acount

I don't have a discord unfortunately. You're welcome to come back to the LTT forum though and poke me if you have future questions.