Just Changed my CPU to AMD from old I5, Booted to my old SSD, Pop_OS! works?

So I just built a new PC, went to a Ryzen 3600 from an old I5 from 2013, I meant to boot into my USB to reinstall Pop_OS on this SSD again since I just did an upgrade and figured I needed a fresh install, but booted to the SSD and it loaded fine. I went to my system to see what CPU it was seeing and it see the Ryzen one just fine as well as my new memory. I did not change my GPU because I'm not paying for one of those yet so that didn't change.

Am I safe to assume I am ok? It would save me a butt load of time if this works in redownloading programs and games (live in the country with 25mb download speeds) but I just want to make sure I am not missing anything or if there is something I should look for / look out for.

Thanks for your time

There is always a risk driver wise that could cause issues and complicate things. I personally always advocate to reinstall fresh with major hardware changes like a CPU/Motherboard. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 hour ago, Knightxl said:

So I just built a new PC, went to a Ryzen 3600 from an old I5 from 2013, I meant to boot into my USB to reinstall Pop_OS on this SSD again since I just did an upgrade and figured I needed a fresh install, but booted to the SSD and it loaded fine. I went to my system to see what CPU it was seeing and it see the Ryzen one just fine as well as my new memory. I did not change my GPU because I'm not paying for one of those yet so that didn't change.

Am I safe to assume I am ok? It would save me a butt load of time if this works in redownloading programs and games (live in the country with 25mb download speeds) but I just want to make sure I am not missing anything or if there is something I should look for / look out for.

Thanks for your time

You should be fine, actually. Unlike Windows, Linux detects devices at every boot, and all relevant drivers should be part of the default kernel. Especially given that your graphics card is still the same.
Still, obviously, back up your data in case things go wrong.

With Linux its unlikely that you will need to reinstall. Most drivers are built into the kernel itself and devices are probed during each startup to see what drivers should be loaded. The only time drivers really cause an issue between hardware changes is when you are using a unsupported driver, usually due to a outdated Distro Install or a third party driver such as NVIDIA's Graphics Drivers. Making sure your Distro is up to date and uninstalling third party drivers before doing a hardware swap however should help prevent issues.

The last time I did something like this, I built an entirely new system out of two PCs and stuffed in the SSD from a third system, where an Ubuntu was installed. 

There was not a single piece of hardware in that box that was present when Ubuntu was shut down, yet it booted just fine. 

I ran in some minor issues a bit further down the line, but nothing serious. All in all, I saved a lot of time compared to a new install. 

You shouldnt need to reinstall, just make sure you have the right drivers and then just update your system

On 3/6/2021 at 2:15 AM, Alexeygridnev1993 said:

You should be fine, actually. Unlike Windows, Linux detects devices at every boot, and all relevant drivers should be part of the default kernel. Especially given that your graphics card is still the same.
Still, obviously, back up your data in case things go wrong.

As does Windows. The problem arises when Windows does not have a critical driver on disk (storage drivers are notorious there) and it needs to fetch it from Windows Update (which it can't, because the network isn't there yet). Contrary to the default kernel for most Linux distro's, Windows does not install every single driver you can possibly need onto the local harddisk.

That said, you can easily avoid such problems by first installing the drivers for the new hardware, then shutting down and replacing it. It will boot, detect and load the correct drivers and let you continue where you left off. The drivers for the old hardware are simply no longer loaded and are just taking up a little bit of space afterwards. No need to reinstall everything.