Rattling from Case Fan? Heatsink?

Hi all,

Over the years a rattling has started from either the case fan or the heatsink fan. I've just now disconnected the case fan. I believe I still occasionally hear the rattling. My Coolermaster heat sink was never the appropriate size for this case. When I close the case, the lid presses against the top of the Coolermaster (just the 4 outcropping corners of the unit, no contact is being made with any actual functioning parts). I think that is potentially it. Any other reason for a rattling sound?

Also, should I have any fear keeping the case fan disconnected (blowing hot air out of the case). The Coolermaster I have I think produces quite a bit of cool air inside the case. I don't do anything crazy with the rig. Currently monitoring it with Open Hardware Monitor. I could get a replacement case fan but if leaving it disconnected removes the rattling sound and doesn't produce a problem otherwise, then I may just leave it that way. 

Thank you for any tips

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Old fans get dirt / dust / crap in the motor and can absolutely start making noise / rattling.

Replace them with new fans.  

Also break out the canned air and clean out the heatsink and related stuff with them.

What size(s) are the fans in your case now?

13 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Old fans get dirt / dust / crap in the motor and can absolutely start making noise / rattling.

Replace them with new fans.  

Also break out the canned air and clean out the heatsink and related stuff with them.

What size(s) are the fans in your case now?

I’m not too familiar with standard fan dimensions but I think they are both like 4 inch x 4 inch. Both the case fan and the heat sink fan

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Computer Fans are generally measured in MM from along an edge.

92mm and 120mm are (around) the size you're mentioning.

Can you be a bit closer to a guess with that?

2 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Computer Fans are generally measured in MM from along an edge.

92mm and 120mm are (around) the size you're mentioning.

Can you be a bit closer to a guess with that?

I was able to confirm with a tape measure that both fans are 120mm

120's are super easy to replace, and can be swapped cheaply.  

Call any local computer shop, and see what they have (if you wanna stay local)

online, these are really good and a good price:

https://smile.amazon.com/ARCTIC-ACFAN00137A-Value-Pack-Pressure-Optimized/dp/B07GB5JRTZ/ref=sr_1_2_mod_primary_new?dchild=1&keywords=arctic%2Bp14%2Bpwm&qid=1614977421&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sr=8-2&th=1

(They also have a 5 pack which is def cheaper per fan, for the same fans.)

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

https://smile.amazon.com/ARCTIC-ACFAN00137A-Value-Pack-Pressure-Optimized/dp/B07GB5JRTZ/ref=sr_1_2_mod_primary_new?dchild=1&keywords=arctic%2Bp14%2Bpwm&qid=1614977421&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sr=8-2&th=1

Thank you! Going to check them out and swap out today or tomorrow if I don’t order online 

28 minutes ago, tkitch said:

You know what I think I figured it out. It appears to be the heat sink fan. It clasps to the heat sink with 4 plastic hooks that catch onto the heat sink. The plastic fan must be rattling against the metal heat sink