Power supply requirement

JZSmith

hey all just a quick question, I am planning on getting a asus rog strix 3080 and on asus's website they recommend a 850w PSU, i am going with the rog strix just cause is matches my build, but other 3rd party sites are saying 750W PSU is fine and i have seen in fourms that some people say 650 will do. currently i have a corsair RM750 maybe 3 months old, i have a i7 10700 and the TDP on that is 65w,  a z490 mobo, 4 ssd, 8 fans, corsair AIO,  and 8 RGB strips,  on PC parts picker i entered all my parts into the PSU calculator and its coming to about 620 watts. i know this is an estimate but it seem i still have plenty of room on the PSU why is asus recommending 850w and should I listen to asus and get a psu they recommend?

If you’re going to overclock that 10700k it will draw more than the minimum.  Possibly by a lot.  I’ve seen suggestions of 1000w for a 3080 with a powerful OCed processor.  The requirement was originally 750w.  That it has gone up is interesting. Part of it is how good your PSU is.  The problem is while the average draw is what is listed the card can momentarily spike above or below that.  The same is true of the 10x00 chips too, so if both happen at the same time you could see a pretty high momentary power draw.  Some PSUs will trip their overcurrent protector in that situation.  I don’t know what the ram series has for internals.  Could happen, might not. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

your 750w psu is fine. it's good quality and can deal with power spikes. asus recommends 850 for the case you have a bad quality psu and an overclocked 10900k.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

If you’re going to overclock that 10700k it will draw more than the minimum.  Possibly by a lot.  I’ve seen suggestions of 1000w for a 3080 with a powerful OCed processor.  The requirement was originally 750w.  That it has gone up is interesting. Part of it is how good your PSU is.  The problem is while the average draw is what is listed the card can momentarily spike above or below that.  The same is true of the 10x00 chips too, so if both happen at the same time you could see a pretty high momentary power draw.  Some PSUs will trip their overcurrent protector in that situation.  I don’t know what the ram series has for internals.  Could happen, might not. 

its just a 10700 not able to overclock I dont really like overclocking so from what i see from intel is max draw on non-K processors is 65w and 125w for the k versions. i figure nvidia recommends 750w psu for their 3080fe cards which draw 350w, asus says its 3080 can draw 400 watts so being that my processor draws 60 less watts then the K version that should give me some head room 

29 minutes ago, JZSmith said:

its just a 10700 not able to overclock I dont really like overclocking so from what i see from intel is max draw on non-K processors is 65w and 125w for the k versions. i figure nvidia recommends 750w psu for their 3080fe cards which draw 350w, asus says its 3080 can draw 400 watts so being that my processor draws 60 less watts then the K version that should give me some head room 

I might assume more than 65w. An overclocked 10700k can pull 200+w. The 3700x was listed as 65w too but would hit 83w fairly commonly.  Should still leave you with some room.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.