How to replace thermal pads on the 3080?

Recently I wanted to replace the front thermal pads on the 3080 (2mm) and wanted to put thermal pads on the back plate because of the GDDR6X memory modules overheating. I thought I should add the backplate ones first so I ordered 3mm thermal pads. Once I opened up the card and cut the pads up , I found out that they’re not sticky at all, and they didn’t work. Can someone link me to double sided adhesive thermal pads (3mm and 2mm) that would work with my 3080? (I’m new to this so I hope i get some help!) I put on the non sticky ones but the temperature was the same and continued to throttle. Can someone explain what I could do? thanks in advance. 

What card? Which specific 3080?

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

Just now, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

What card? Which specific 3080?

GIGABYTE OC. I’ll go ahead and write the full story. So basically I was trying to only attach thermal pads on the back plate. I bought 3mm thermal pads online, but to my surprise they weren’t “sticking” when I tried to install them onto the back plate (not sure what I have to do now). So when I opened the card up, a piece of the front (core) thermal pads were ripped off , so I’m thinking I’ll also have to replaced them. 

Not sure why they have to be sticky. If you install it right it won’t matter. Also I don’t think there is a double sided adhesive pad with that thickness that will meet the proper thermal needs. 

Just buy the blue Fuji pads. Should be sticky enough if that’s what you’re looking for. 

I know I never would have bought their card. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Not sure why they have to be sticky. If you install it right it won’t matter. Also I don’t think there is a double sided adhesive pad with that thickness that will meet the proper thermal needs. 

Just buy the blue Fuji pads. Should be sticky enough if that’s what you’re looking for. 

I know I never would have bought their card. 

So the thing is , I installed them and the junction temp for the memory was still hovering around 110C (throttling) I’m not sure if I bought the right ones 

20 minutes ago, Amoxletsne said:

So the thing is , I installed them and the junction temp for the memory was still hovering around 110C (throttling) I’m not sure if I bought the right ones 

Well adding pads isn’t always the fix. Idk if you got the right ones as you didn’t give any info. 
Most backplates aren’t designed for heat dissipation. So maybe you should try active cooling. If the fans are at 100%, maybe you should get a water block instead. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

• 4 weeks later...

I've just replaced mine on my Gigabyte RTX3080 Gamin OC, the VRAM/junction temp now 20C cooler and the fans never go above 50% - they were at a constant 100% before doing the mod.. I used 2mm on the front off the VRAM, 3mm on the back and 1mm on the VRM's - Thermal Grizzly Minus 8 for the 3mm and Thermalright's for the 1mm and 2mm. It was a lot easier to do than I thought - I'm very pleased with the result.