Installed a new router, now Wi-Fi speeds are worse

VirtualBlack

My ISP provide a modem/router which is the Huawei HG8245H but I was not getting the full speed I'm supposed to have, so I decide to buy the TP-link archer C6 V2 to get better Wi-Fi signal.

I followed the instructions of the quick installation guide that came on the box, but when I enter to the web page to configure it, on the last step it says "Failed Oops... the internet connection is not set up successfully" . However I had internet on my Pc connected by wire, which was weird, so I enter again to the web page and this time instead of the quick installation I go to settings and from there I enabled the Wi-Fi signal. 

I make a speedtest, and the speed on Wi-Fi was slower than what I had with the ISP router, so I try disabling the Wi-Fi on the Huawei HG8245H, same results, then, changing the TP-Link from router mode to access point mode, issue still persists.

What could be happening? 

17 minutes ago, super88 said:

My ISP provide a modem/router which is the Huawei HG8245H but I was not getting the full speed I'm supposed to have, so I decide to buy the TP-link archer C6 V2 to get better Wi-Fi signal.

I followed the instructions of the quick installation guide that came on the box, but when I enter to the web page to configure it, on the last step it says "Failed Oops... the internet connection is not set up successfully" . However I had internet on my Pc connected by wire, which was weird, so I enter again to the web page and this time instead of the quick installation I go to settings and from there I enabled the Wi-Fi signal. 

I make a speedtest, and the speed on Wi-Fi was slower than what I had with the ISP router, so I try disabling the Wi-Fi on the Huawei HG8245H, same results, then, changing the TP-Link from router mode to access point mode, issue still persists.

What could be happening? 

What speeds do you pay for? 

What is your home made out of? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

What speeds do you pay for? 

What is your home made out of? 

I pay for 300 Mbps, the walls are made of brick and concrete

1 minute ago, super88 said:

the walls are made of brick and concrete

Well thats your main problem. WiFi is not designed to go thru that kind of material. 

Are you using 2.4 or 5 Ghz? Are your speed results in the same room as the router or in a different room? 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Well thats your main problem. WiFi is not designed to go thru that kind of material. 

Are you using 2.4 or 5 Ghz? Are your speed results in the same room as the router or in a different room? 

2.4 Ghz Speed results on the same room

I tried reseting the router to factory mode and do everything again but this time following the instructions to configure it as access point,but no improvment

is possible I could mess up on the installation?  is only like 5 steps, so is simple but idk what could go wrong.

Or maybe is just the router from my ISP was better?

7 minutes ago, super88 said:

2.4 Ghz Speed results on the same room

2.4 Ghz on that router is only rated for 300 Mbps and you will NEVER get the max. Id say expect maybe 2/3 on a good day, but your also in a concrete bunker. 

5Ghz is where the performance is on the WIFi standard. So if you need speed, your looking at 5Ghz, which will defiantly not like the concrete walls. 

9 minutes ago, super88 said:

s possible I could mess up on the installation?  is only like 5 steps, so is simple but idk what could go wrong.

I never use a wizard to setup a router. It just log in to the firmware. It should just be as simple as setting up an SSID and WPA2 password. But its been a while since I setup my last TPLink router. 

10 minutes ago, super88 said:

Or maybe is just the router from my ISP was better?

Could be, TPLink is not a high end brand. Though out of the budget brands they are probably one of the best.