Need to upgrade....but need to save were possible please help

Morgiee

Budget (including currency): £850 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Warzone, light 4k and below video editing, occational game streaming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi so im in a real need to upgrade my cpu as my current i5 6600K is constantly running at 100% utalisation and crashes completely at least 3 times in an evening game session.

Im in a sticky situation as ideally i dont have the disposable income for a top tier system although id like to.  So looking to improve my current situation with the easy option to upgrade cpu and gpu in the future once stock becomes availible and also in a better financial situation.

My Budget is about £850 max to upgrade the following:

Cpu (a must)

Motherboard

Air cooling

case

Ideally id like to get the Ryzen 7 5800x and im able to get my hands on one fairly easily from were i work.  But cant coose weather a B550 board will do or weather i need to go at least X570 to future proof the system.

My current thought process but tell me if im route is a bad one, to help keep as much under budget:

x570 board (to support future Zen 4 upgrades like Cpu and Gpu)

Ryzen 7 3800x

currently have 32gb corsair vengance 3000mgz xmp memory

Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black

Phanteks P400A case

The idea being that the board will support the Ryzen 7 5800x when i need to upgrade and will be cheaper then, also upgrade my current 1070fe graphics card to a 3070 and upgrade ram to 3400mhz 

Whats your thoughts guys?  

Thanks 

What is your current psu? A 6600k should not be crashing.

A 3800x is never worth the money as it's a lot more expensive and barely any better than a  3700/3700x. Is a 5600x in budget?

If you get the p400a make sure it's the mesh version so you don't choke your components.

A good b550 board is more than plenty.

There will be NO more cpu's on am4. It is at the end of the line zen 3 is the last generation.

You don't list your current hardware, but what about just upgrading the CPU in your current motherboard?

Depending on chipset you should be able to go up to a 7th gen CPU (for 200 series chipset) or a 9th gen (for 300 series chipset). That would be by far the cheapest option, and would still allow for future GPU upgrades.

If you go Ryzen, B550 is plenty unless you specifically know you need the upsells available for x570. Buying for "future proofing" is wasting money IMO.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

18 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What is your current psu? A 6600k should not be crashing.

A 3800x is never worth the money as it's a lot more expensive and barely any better than a  3700/3700x. Is a 5600x in budget?

If you get the p400a make sure it's the mesh version so you don't choke your components.

A good b550 board is more than plenty.

There will be NO more cpu's on am4. It is at the end of the line zen 3 is the last generation.

Ahh sorry.  System as follows:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero motherboard

Intel I5 6600K stock 3.5ghz

AIO watercooled cpu

32gb DDR4 corsair 3000mhz ram 

500gb Samsung 750 evo ssd 

6TB HDD (4tb + 2tb sata 5400 drives merged together)

nvidia 1070 FE (custom watercooled with a FE AIO watercooling setup)

EVGA Gold+ 650w PSU

Yeah its the cpu as its constantly running at 100% while the gpu is at 60%.  Im also running normal graphics on warzone limiting my frames to 50fps and still crashes. crash log leads to Cpu time out 

Ahh right ok, good to know thanks.  I want to go for a ryzen 7 as i feel like id benefit from more cores than a ryzen 5?  So ryzen 7 3700x over 3800x?

Ahh good was hoping to hear that.....but will i need a new board when i eventually upgrade to the ryzen 7 5800x? or will i still see the benefits of the 5800x from a b550 board?

Thanks   

43 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

You don't list your current hardware, but what about just upgrading the CPU in your current motherboard?

Depending on chipset you should be able to go up to a 7th gen CPU (for 200 series chipset) or a 9th gen (for 300 series chipset). That would be by far the cheapest option, and would still allow for future GPU upgrades.

If you go Ryzen, B550 is plenty unless you specifically know you need the upsells available for x570. Buying for "future proofing" is wasting money IMO.

sorry, just uploaded them in the above reply.  

if i was to upgrade my cpu for my board it would be an intel 7700k which is the price a most good ryzens..

so 2 agreeing to a 550 board.  thats promising news for my budget.  thats the thing im not 100% sure what a x570 benefits over a b550 for a average home user who plays the odd game does minor video editing.

I dont run m.2 ssd i use sata SSD and happy with the speeds of a sata ssd. so if i have a 5800x and a 3070 in the future on a b550 board will i still benefit form the latest features or is that were a x570 will be better and ill be "robbed" of performace, meaning id have to then upgrade my board again to a x570?  If that makes sense?

Thanks again.  

So if you're on a tight budget and wanting to upgrade that platform first, it is absolutely not worth it to spend good hard earned money on your current platform. A 7700K is just not worth $400(u.s) give or take that scrubs sell it for on Ebay, period. The 10100 and the 10400 are the best kept secrets in PC gaming. At $114(u.s)  the 10100 brings 7700K like performance (minus overclocking obviously) and like 5 less frames but i will say it again...... $114 CPU, NEW. If you can swing $50 more, the 10400 is a badass CPU my friend.

I have one in my sons build with a FTW3 3070 and he pulls down 90-120 FPS in Cold War with a $150 6 core 12 thread CPU @ 1440p 144Hz. Sure frames depend on the title he plays but we are talking a budget upgrade right, Yeah the 5600 is awesome, but its also a $300 MSRP CPU that you cant find at MSRP right now and even if you could, (using AMD logic) why spend $140-$190 more for a Ryzen 5600 for like 10 more frames....

You can make it out with a 10100, new MB & RAM and still be cheaper than going with a used 7700K and not to mention still getting about the same performance.