For Honor - NAT Type: Unknown

suha04

Hello guys!

I stopped playing this game about a year ago, and then, the game was fully operational, I had a nice green NAT word next to my character name.

Now I wanted to reinstall it, but I can't really play it, because it says my NAT is "UNKNOWN".

I tried everything, I spoke with the Ubi Support, they told me I have "Double NAT", and one of the IP could be a Private one from my ISP, so I called my Internet Provider, and they told me that my IP is not even a NAT IP, and I certainly don't have two. I spent 3 days for this, please help me fix this!

Thank you!

The person you spoke to at your ISP is.... I'll leave that sentence there.

NAT is the process used by your router to convert your internal network IP addresses into external IP addresses.

The easiest way to understand it is to visualise it so I stole this from Wikipedia

1280px-NAT_Concept-en.svg.png

A double NAT would require you to have 2 routers running on your network.

2.png

Chances are your problems are port related, not NAT related. Have you forwarded any ports for the game? Having an open NAT is only really important if you want to host, it shouldn't affect your ability to play.

Edit - I do believe it is possible for an ISP to provide you with an IP which is using NAT. Its not something we have here in the UK but I've heard its pretty common in other countries and its how all 3G/4G/5G mobile broadband works.

What is the first block of numbers in your public/external IP address?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

20 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

The person you spoke to at your ISP is.... I'll leave that sentence there.

NAT is the process used by your router to convert your internal network IP addresses into external IP addresses.

The easiest way to understand it is to visualise it so I stole this from Wikipedia

1280px-NAT_Concept-en.svg.png

A double NAT would require you to have 2 routers running on your network.

2.png

Chances are your problems are port related, not NAT related. Have you forwarded any ports for the game? Having an open NAT is only really important if you want to host, it shouldn't affect your ability to play.

Edit - I do believe it is possible for an ISP to provide you with an IP which is using NAT. Its not something we have here in the UK but I've heard its pretty common in other countries and its how all 3G/4G/5G mobile broadband works.

What is the first block of numbers in your public/external IP address?

I'm not sure what you mean with "first block".

Could you specify?

Do you need the Router one or the the default gateway?

EDIT:

I actually have 2 router, I tried turning off the one I don't use, but I don't understand, because 1 year ago I had the same two router and there was no problem with my OPEN NAT.

26 minutes ago, suha04 said:

@Master Disaster Can you help me then? 😄

I'd need to see a network map to understand what is causing the issue. For example why do you have 2 routers? Is the first acting as a modem and the second as a DHCP server?

To understand blocks NAT (sorry, I typed what I was reading 😄 ) you have to understand the concept of a router. Your router is actually connected to 2 different networks at the same time.

There's your external network which is the connection between your router and your ISP. Your router will pull an IP address from your ISP which is called your external IP address. Then there's your internal network which is between your router and your local devices. Local devices get assigned a unique internal IP address by the router through a service called DHCP.

Lets say that your external IP is 10.0.0.76 (btw you'd never get an external IP on this subdomain, I'm only using it for ease), your computer has an internal IP of 192.168.0.5 and your routers gateway IP is 192.168.0.1.

So your computer wants to talk to Google, a packet is sent by your computer addressed to 8.8.8.8, the first place it arrives at is your router since its the gateway, your router has to then forward that information on to your ISP so it can talk to Google however there's a problem. The packet has a return address of 192.168.0.5 or the computer on your network that sent it but your routers IP with your ISP is 10.0.0.76 so on the return journey the packet would never arrive back to the router. To fix this the router uses NAT, it basically changes the packets destination and return addresses on the fly to make sure packets are delivered (or routed) to the right place.

That's a very simplified explanation.

First block would be the first set of numbers in your IP, so in our example of 10.0.0.76 the first block would be 10.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

37 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I'd need to see a network map to understand what is causing the issue. For example why do you have 2 routers? Is the first acting as a modem and the second as a DHCP server?

To understand blocks NAT (sorry, I typed what I was reading 😄 ) you have to understand the concept of a router. Your router is actually connected to 2 different networks at the same time.

There's your external network which is the connection between your router and your ISP. Your router will pull an IP address from your ISP which is called your external IP address. Then there's your internal network which is between your router and your local devices. Local devices get assigned a unique internal IP address by the router through a service called DHCP.

Lets say that your external IP is 10.0.0.76 (btw you'd never get an external IP on this subdomain, I'm only using it for ease), your computer has an internal IP of 192.168.0.5 and your routers gateway IP is 192.168.0.1.

So your computer wants to talk to Google, a packet is sent by your computer addressed to 8.8.8.8, the first place it arrives at is your router since its the gateway, your router has to then forward that information on to your ISP so it can talk to Google however there's a problem. The packet has a return address of 192.168.0.5 or the computer on your network that sent it but your routers IP with your ISP is 10.0.0.76 so on the return journey the packet would never arrive back to the router. To fix this the router uses NAT, it basically changes the packets destination and return addresses on the fly to make sure packets are delivered (or routed) to the right place.

That's a very simplified explanation.

First block would be the first set of numbers in your IP, so in our example of 10.0.0.76 the first block would be 10.

Okay, I think I understand.

My IPv4 IP's first block is 192.

I have two routers, because we have a coffeteria, the first (the one I use) supposed to be the main one, and the other is plugged into this main router, if I know correctly.

However, I tried to turn this secondary router off while troubleshooting the problem, and it did not fix it.

I hope you have another idea.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: If I gave you the wrong first block, let me know.