Valheim Server DNS setup

Yesterday's patch notes

Supposedly IronGate Studios added support for DNS connections to their Valheim Dedicated Server tool, but I do not know how to properly use that feature.

I own a domain through Google Domains that I use to host some game servers on, mainly Minecraft for right now, but the big differences that I noticed from reading the Valheim Dedicated Server manual is that the server actually requires two ports (to be port forwarded at least) and both of those ports need TCP and UDP open. Setting up a domain for a Minecraft server was fairly straight forward as it only needed one port and only TCP, but I don't know how I would go about setting up another one for a Valheim server. And no, DNS is not mentioned in the dedicated server PDF.

**EDIT** 

I should also note that the game does have a server browser, and for right now I have the server appearing on that browser, but my goal is to take it off that list and have my friends/other users only connect via the address I am trying to set up.

Have you tried just making a DNS A record for your IP? A records don't care about ports at all.

Then open borth ports on your firewalls and port forward them and it should work fine.

14 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Have you tried just making a DNS A record for your IP? A records don't care about ports at all.

Then open borth ports on your firewalls and port forward them and it should work fine.

This is exactly how I allow my friends to connect to my Minecraft server. A-record is the way to go. Also easy to fix for non-tech savvy people when your IP address changes for whatever reason.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro