Would newer AMD drivers optimize performance of older GPUs?

Curesto

Hi, i have an Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit GPU.  I wonder if newer drivers optimize older cards. If not, i'll stop updating on stable driver.

I'm currently using Adrenalin 21.1.1 verison.

g.gif.dc9910eeb548925447f2370c3a329fde.gif

They do tweak games specific issues for new games, so if you only play the same old games there might not be much to gain. But then again, AMDs drivers is chronically bad, so if they might even get their crap together and make them run stable.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

14 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

They do tweak games specific issues for new games, so if you only play the same old games there might not be much to gain. But then again, AMDs drivers is chronically bad, so if they might even get their crap together and make them run stable.

I think “chronically” is inaccurate.  They do take longer to get right and they’re messed with for longer which explains ther tendency to seem to get faster in the long term and for very old systems like Polaris to remain useful.   The issue is whether or not a given old card has received love or not.  Sometimes they have inwhich case yes, sometimes they haven’t in which case no, and sometimes get forgotten about in which case they can stop working at all.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.