Raspberry Pi isn't showing up on Network

Go to solution Solved by Mr.Stork,
19 hours ago, Poohl said:

On how to set the static IP: There's a million ways to do it, but as far as I know, you have to have access to the pis terminal some way. I'm not sure about the ip= thing in cmdline

Yeah so I found one of the ways, set a ip, and reserved that ip in my router so no other device is assigned that ip. Problem solved it seems, I've restarted the router and pi multiple times to test it. Thanks!

Forgot this, but you might have to reboot the raspi with the HDMI plugged in for any picture to appear.

I guess, but I think my laptop's hdmi is only output not input, will check that later. For now I've installed a VNC server, withh which I can access the screen of pi remotely within my local network. (I could port forward to access via internet but not worth it, as it'll lag)

Thanks everyone who helped me out, keep up the good work

I setup my Raspberry pi yestarday as a NAS, using SAMBA, and I was getting around 100MB/s from my External HDD and it was all well then I powered it off.

(idk how to power it off from terminal, so I just cut the power which may happen during a power cut)

But today when I power the RPI on it doesn't seem to show up on the router's DHCP list. The Pi has power, both ethernet's green and pi's red leds light up just like yestarday.

It was delivered from amazon yestarday, I bought the Starter Pack called PiBox.

As connecting to Router didnt work like yestarday, I then connected the pi directly to my laptop to test, and did `ipconfig` on cmd and this was showing:

I tried connecting to the Ipv4 Ethernet address: 169.254.78.229 via ssh, didnt work, whats wrong, please help

cmd_KtvbaS7Y21.png.6703cbbcb6c69ee5adeb13053f8099bf.png

11 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

169.254.78.x

Because thats a dummy address. Unless you set up a DHCP on the RPI or on your machine, you will need to set a static IP on both machines that is in the same subnet. 

Edit: PS hiding your own home network IP addresses is pointless.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

10 minutes ago, Levent said:

Unless you have set up a DHCP on the RPI or on your machine

But I have, I wrote it on the thread, I connected it to a router which has DHCP enabled, but doesnt show up! It did showup on the list yestarday tho. I also reserved the ip for the RPI which was auto assigned by the Router DHCP.

image.thumb.png.0e93203fcd4e74e4261969b39be87c62.png

10 minutes ago, Levent said:

PS hiding your own home network IP addresses is pointless.

Sorry Idk much about networking so better be safe, I'll change the image with one which is not blurred.

But I know that I should not show mac addresses haha

3 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

But I have, I wrote it on the thread, I connected it to a router which has DHCP enabled, but doesnt show up! I also reserved a ip for the RPI.

Sorry Idk much about networking so better be safe, I'll change the image with one which is not blurred.

It doesnt work that way. If RPI is connecting to your PC via ethernet then to your router via WIFI, you still need to set up a DHCP for ethernet either on the RPI or on your PC. Correct way would be connecting your RPI to your router via ethernet then your PC to that network.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

But I have, I wrote it on the thread, I connected it to a router which has DHCP enabled, but doesnt show up! It did showup on the list yestarday tho. I also reserved the ip for the RPI which was auto assigned by the Router DHCP.

image.thumb.png.0e93203fcd4e74e4261969b39be87c62.png

DHCP runs on your router, by connecting the Pi directly to your PC your not running it through a DHCP server which will require you to manually specify addresses on both devices.

I'm not sure what connecting the Pi to your PC will achieve anyway, the issue is probably down to a negotiation problem between the router and the Pi so by avoiding the router you're likely temporarily avoiding the issue, as soon as you plug back into the router it might return.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Levent said:

It doesnt work that way. If RPI is connecting to your PC via ethernet then to your router via WIFI, you still need to set up a DHCP for ethernet either on the RPI or on your PC.

I'll not use it that way, I'll use it as a nas and the RPI will be connected to the router. And the router will be connected to my pcs/phones. Does that work? (it did yestarday)

I also did put a static ip on the sdcard before first boot which didnt work so used router assigned ip, I then followed another tutorial that told me to assign ip via terminal, which also didnt work so used router assigned ip.

Everytime I used the RPI, it was connected to the router NOT directly to pc/laptop. I directly connected today cuz it isnt showing up on my router

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

as soon as you plug back into the router it might return.

thats the first thing I did, which didnt work thats why I connected directly to pc.

I think I explained it wrong in the thread above

30 minutes ago, Levent said:

Unless you set up a DHCP on the RPI or on your machine, you will need to set a static IP on both machines that is in the same subnet.

Your laptop's ethernet is not connected to any DHCP and has no sensible static IP, so you won't be able to use it. As Levent said, either configure static IPs in the same subnet on your raspi's and your laptops's ethernt. Additinally you would have to tell ssh to use the ethernet-jack instead of the wifi. Alternatively:

To get it to work in general, I don't know how you configured the static ip on the raspi, but there are only three options here:

• The raspi is using the static IP, so just connect it to your router and try to ping it (on the static ip you configured), if that works you should be able to just ssh into it.
  • The raspi is not using a static IP, so falls back to DHCP. In this case you will have to look in your rounter for registeted devices and try to ping and ssh to anything that looks like a raspi. Then once you're in you can configure the static IP again.
  • The raspi has some completely defunct IP configuration, in this case your best bet is to pull the sd-card and try to fix the config on another machine.
  • Easiest option if you dont want to bother with any of this is to hook up a keyboard and monitor to the raspi and run `ifconfig`, the linux äquvalent of ipconfig. It should display the IP on the ethernet interface (eth0)

18 minutes ago, Poohl said:
59 minutes ago, Levent said:

Unless you set up a DHCP on the RPI or on your machine, you will need to set a static IP on both machines that is in the same subnet.

Your laptop's ethernet is not connected to any DHCP and has no sensible static IP, so you won't be able to use it. As Levent said, either configure static IPs in the same subnet on your raspi's and your laptops's ethernt. Additinally you would have to tell ssh to use the ethernet-jack instead of the wifi.

Thing is I don't understand what does same subnet mean, is there a explanation link you can provide? I was hoping that I could just let the Router's DHCP decide an IP and just reserve it. So, how do I make a static ip of the RaspberryPi?

Easiest option if you dont want to bother with any of this is to hook up a keyboard and monitor to the raspi and run `ifconfig`, the linux äquvalent of ipconfig. It should display the IP on the ethernet interface (eth0)

I tried to do that, but for some reason whenever I connect the hdmi to my laptop, nothing happens. I set the "Project" setting to "Second screen only" but nothing happens.

Edit: Ik why not now, cuz it's an output hdmi not input lol

The raspi is not using a static IP, so falls back to DHCP. In this case you will have to look in your rounter for registeted devices and try to ping and ssh to anything that looks like a raspi. Then once you're in you can configure the static IP again.

This is what happned yestarday, even though I added

ip=192.168.0.178

at the end of the "cmdline.txt" file in the sdcard

21 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

Thing is I don't understand what does same subnet mean, is there a explanation link you can provide? I was hoping that I could just let the Router's DHCP decide an IP and just reserve it. So, how do I make a static ip of the RaspberryPi?

The subnetmask (usually 255.255.255.0) specifies to what other IPs you can talk. The parts of your IP corresponding to the 255 have to be the same for everything you want to talk to. e.g. given a subnetmask of 255.255.255.0 and an IP of 196.168.0.100 you can talk to anything with an 192.168.0.X IP and nothing else. (yes you can access the internet with other IPs using a gateway, but thats outside this probem)

In your case the raspi directly connected to the Laptop didn't work, because the raspi (presumably) has 192.168.0.178, the ethernet jack on your laptop 169.254... with a subnetmask of 255.255.255.0. Since 192 != 169, the raspi refuses to talk.

A more comprehensive explanation would be https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/network-layer/what-is-a-subnet/, also covering IP in general.

About reserving the IP in the router, I don't know what that causes the router to do. My solution always has been to restrict the DHCP-range to something ilke 100-200, so anything lower than 100 (and not in use by the router) can be used for static IPs.

On how to set the static IP: There's a million ways to do it, but as far as I know, you have to have access to the pis terminal some way. I'm not sure about the ip= thing in cmdline

Also: Forgot this, but you might have to reboot the raspi with the HDMI plugged in for any picture to appear.

Yeah so I found one of the ways, set a ip, and reserved that ip in my router so no other device is assigned that ip. Problem solved it seems, I've restarted the router and pi multiple times to test it. Thanks!

Forgot this, but you might have to reboot the raspi with the HDMI plugged in for any picture to appear.

I guess, but I think my laptop's hdmi is only output not input, will check that later. For now I've installed a VNC server, withh which I can access the screen of pi remotely within my local network. (I could port forward to access via internet but not worth it, as it'll lag)

Thanks everyone who helped me out, keep up the good work