3900x or 5800x??? Help!

Hi, 

after hunting round for a while I’ve come to the conclusion that the 5900x isn’t going to drop in price or come into stock any time soon (before September) so I’ve decided to go with either the 5800x or 3900x.

My work load will consist of 3D cad, most of the adobe work space, programming, gaming, perhaps streaming with friends once in a while and most general uses.

My max budget for a cpu is £500 and will most likely be paired with a 3070 or 3080 (if I can get my hands on one 😭😭😭)

Which cpu will be better equipped for my work load? I’m not to sure which will be more beneficial 😆

Thanks for the help,

stay safe,

lex 

3 minutes ago, Alexander Underwood said:

Hi, 

after hunting round for a while I’ve come to the conclusion that the 5900x isn’t going to drop in price or come into stock any time soon (before September) so I’ve decided to go with either the 5800x or 3900x.

My work load will consist of 3D cad, most of the adobe work space, programming, gaming, perhaps streaming with friends once in a while and most general uses.

My max budget for a cpu is £500 and will most likely be paired with a 3070 or 3080 (if I can get my hands on one 😭😭😭)

Which cpu will be better equipped for my work load? I’m not to sure which will be more beneficial 😆

Thanks for the help,

stay safe,

lex 

Probably a 3900x tbh. The 5800x runs hot and isn't a very great value anyways, so it makes it an easier choice. A Normally-priced 5900x would be around 549 euros, right now maybe 600 since the stock still isn't great, so that's an option if you're willing to stretch, unless you have a pretty bad stock situation which it seems you might have. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

Heyo,

Go for the 3900X with a B550 or X570 Chipset (newest chipset for possible CPU upgrades down the line). 
Your workload is heaviely multicore optimized and the 3900X got 12 cores at 4.2GHz vs 8 cores at 4.4GHz for the 5800X.
I know you should not directly compare speeds across generations but benchmarks show 15-20% faster results with the 3900X in multithreaded loads. here
Furthermore, the 3900X got more cache and is cheaper. 

I just bought a 3900X and I couldn't be happier, even though the "overclocking" was counterintuitive for me. (coming from a 8700K, it felt weird to overclock the chip by decreasing the voltage and letting the chip do the rest)

1 hour ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Probably a 3900x tbh. The 5800x runs hot and isn't a very great value anyways, so it makes it an easier choice. A Normally-priced 5900x would be around 549 euros, right now maybe 600 since the stock still isn't great, so that's an option if you're willing to stretch, unless you have a pretty bad stock situation which it seems you might have. 

A few places have the 5900x for £549 but it’s out of stock and the ones that have it in stock are £600+ 😭... I guess if I go with the 3900x I can upgrade later to a 5900x if needed.

I can get the 3900x for around £396-£410 and the cheapest 5800x is £403 (in stock) 

Thanks for the help 😆

45 minutes ago, helgehelge123 said:

Heyo,

Go for the 3900X with a B550 or X570 Chipset (newest chipset for possible CPU upgrades down the line). 
Your workload is heaviely multicore optimized and the 3900X got 12 cores at 4.2GHz vs 8 cores at 4.4GHz for the 5800X.
I know you should not directly compare speeds across generations but benchmarks show 15-20% faster results with the 3900X in multithreaded loads. here
Furthermore, the 3900X got more cache and is cheaper. 

I just bought a 3900X and I couldn't be happier, even though the "overclocking" was counterintuitive for me. (coming from a 8700K, it felt weird to overclock the chip by decreasing the voltage and letting the chip do the rest)

Good to hear think I might go for it 😆. Will most likely be paring it with a b550 tomahawk mag so future comparability should be good 😄. And yh, I heard ocing on Ryzen is rlly strange 😂

Thanks for the help

3900X OR 5800X for 3d cad, full use of the adobe suite, gaming, streaming, programming and general purpose tasks? (all of these are of equal importance 😄)

Just now, Alexander Underwood said:

3900X OR 5800X for 3d cad, full use of the adobe suite, gaming, streaming, programming and general purpose tasks? (all of these are of equal importance 😄)

Re post + a poll to get a good sample of opinions to make a decision 😄. The 5900x is well out of my price in the UK 😞 and is mostly out of stock unless im willing to pay upwards of £650. 

Thanks for the help,

Stay safe,

Lex.

2 minutes ago, Alexander Underwood said:

Most of the things you mentioned are optimized for up to 16 cores (other than programming and gaming). The 3900x has zen 2 cores which are still very good for gaming/programming. So I would reccomend the 3900x

That's a really tough decision, both are superb CPUs. I vote the 5800X though for a mixed-use system. If you were only doing content creation I'd say 3900X but from the reviews I've read the difference in multicore performance in favor of the Zen2 12C is smaller than the difference in single/few core performance in favor of the Zen3 8C if that makes sense. Looking at all use cases both chips seem to have an about even number of situations where one is faster than the other so it's basically a wash for an all-purpose system but given the much higher per-core performance of the 5800X that would be my preferred option. When the 3900X is faster than the 5800X it's by less than one would expect, but it seems that when the 5800X is faster it's often by much more than the specs would suggest.

Powerspec 1530 (Clevo PB50DF2) ~ i7 10875H ~ RTX 2070 Super 115W ~ 32GB DDR4 ~ 2x 1TB NVMe ~ 2TB 5400RPM ~ 1080P 240hz matte IPS

Gigabyte G1 GA-970-SLI ~ FX 8320 @ 3.3Ghz, 1212mV ~ 16GB DDR3 ~ Radeon 570 4GB ~ 512GB NVMe ~ 2x 1TB HGST 7200RPM

Xtras ~ Dell 22" 1680x1050 matte IPS monitor ~ Logi M705 mouse ~ PowerA Fusion Pro Xbox One controller ~ Sony XB950N1 headphones ~ Epson V700 film scanner

Streaming Setup ~ OBS Studio with AMF encoding ~ iVCam bridged to LG G6 ~ Focusrite Scarlett Solo interface ~ TONOR condenser cardioid mic

I'd go with 5800X cuz it's newer I'm not sure how much 4 extra cores would make his PC faster at apps.

I can suppose 5800X has higher IPC.

Maybe 5900X the best option since you probably won't upgrade PC any soon.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

Finally managed to get hold of a temp GPU for my system (RTX 2060) while I wait for the RTX 3070 or RTX 3080 to come into stock and am now buying the rest of my parts over the next week.

I need to choose between the 3900x and 5800x (both £400 respectively) for a mix of 3d cad, programming, full use of the adobe suite, gaming and casual streaming once in a while with friends. 

Does anybody know which would be more suited for my needs? I cant seem to find a head to head video placing these two against each other. 

Thanks for the help, 

Stay safe,

Lex.

-= Topics Merged =-

You may bump your topics, but you may not re-post them.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, PufftI said:

In the future, please add context to your post instead of just a link... this can be considered a LMGTFY.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

In the future, please add context to your post instead of just a link... this can be considered a LMGTFY.

Ah ok lol, sorry

Doesn't the 5800X run super hot though? I would've thought a 3800X or 3900X would be better, no?

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

13 hours ago, Alexander Underwood said:

Hi, 

Finally managed to get hold of a temp GPU for my system (RTX 2060) while I wait for the RTX 3070 or RTX 3080 to come into stock and am now buying the rest of my parts over the next week.

I need to choose between the 3900x and 5800x (both £400 respectively) for a mix of 3d cad, programming, full use of the adobe suite, gaming and casual streaming once in a while with friends. 

Does anybody know which would be more suited for my needs? I cant seem to find a head to head video placing these two against each other. 

Thanks for the help, 

Stay safe,

Lex.

What about 10850k is that not in stock?