Power supply

Hey I plan on building a pc whenever I can get my hands on parts and I wanted to see what kind of power supply would be best for m build. I do plan on overclocking the cpu and gpus. Here is my build.

Evolve X                                                                     

MSI B550-A PRO                                                           

Ryzen 5800x cpu                                                            

Asus tuff 3080

Asus tuff 3060ti                                                 

Ram from old pc 32gb 3000Mhz                                            

NZXT Kraken x73 RGB 360mm                                     

NZXT AER triple fan starter kit + 1 fan 120mm 

What would be the best power supply wattage and brand for this build.

With both a 3080 and a 3060 Ti, with overclocking, I would go for something over 1000W.

Also, seeing as how you have some expensive hardware, I would for a Platinum (or higher) certified PSU. I have had great experiences with Corsair AX PSUs and Seasonic's PRIME PLATINUM series, so I always recommend them. Have not used EVGA SuperNOVA, but I hear it's pretty great as well.

Basically, anything from a reputable brand, over 1000W and higher than Platinum certification would work great.

10 minutes ago, Jonnyd1000 said:

I do plan on overclocking the cpu and gpus.

10 minutes ago, Jonnyd1000 said:

Asus tuff 3080

Asus tuff 3060ti

I have several questions. I will say that you need between 1200 and 1000 watts. You may need more depending on the overclocking.

Have a look at the power supply tier list here on the forum which is super helpful. Look at models from tier A, anything above 1000w will be fine. You could probably get away with 850W, although you would be cutting it close. 

10 minutes ago, AnotherGlenn said:

With both a 3080 and a 3060 Ti, with overclocking, I would go for something over 1000W.

Also, seeing as how you have some expensive hardware, I would for a Platinum (or higher) certified PSU. I have had great experiences with Corsair AX PSUs and Seasonic's PRIME PLATINUM series, so I always recommend them. Have not used EVGA SuperNOVA, but I hear it's pretty great as well.

Basically, anything from a reputable brand, over 1000W and higher than Platinum certification would work great.

Don't buy according to "reputable brands" loads of known manufactures have made poor PSUs in the past. 

Edit: I didn't realise you were putting in two GPUs. My bad!

JOIN THE FIGHT AGAINST COVID-19 BY RUNNING FOLDING AT HOME!!

have a look at the thread below if your interested:

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

Remember to quote me so I can see your reply!

Always Reply with a question if you have one! 😃

You plan to install an RTX 3080 and an RTX 3060 Ti? 

The motherboard has one x16 PCIe slot using 16 4.0 cpu lanes. The other x16 slot uses 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes from the chipset. Using this slot disables one of the m.2 connectors.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 minute ago, UpTheDons said:

Don't buy according to "reputable brands" loads of known manufactures have made poor PSUs in the past.

Definitely agree with you on this. However, I did mention 2 PSUs above that are pretty solid.

2 minutes ago, UpTheDons said:

1000w is overkill and not needed, you'll be perfectly fine with 850w even if you overclock.

Definitely not overkill for the 2 GPUs he will use. All tests show that the 3080, at least, can draw more power than the 320W limit, and he plans to OC the cards as well. 

4 minutes ago, brob said:

I assume OP is using this for mining or something like F@H.

3 minutes ago, AnotherGlenn said:

Definitely not overkill for the 2 GPUs he will use. All tests show that the 3080, at least, can draw more power than the 320W limit, and he plans to OC the cards as well.

I didn't notice OP was planning to use multiple GPUs, my bad!

JOIN THE FIGHT AGAINST COVID-19 BY RUNNING FOLDING AT HOME!!

have a look at the thread below if your interested:

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

Remember to quote me so I can see your reply!

Always Reply with a question if you have one! 😃

4 hours ago, brob said:

The motherboard has one x16 PCIe slot using 16 4.0 cpu lanes. The other x16 slot uses 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes from the chipset. Using this slot disables one of the m.2 connectors.

yes I do plan on installing both rtf 3080, and 3060ti I want to mine with the pc. I did not know that I would disable on of the m.2 connectors but I will only be using one of them with a 1tb Samsung m.2 that I currently have.

4 hours ago, UpTheDons said:

Have a look at the power supply tier list here on the forum which is super helpful. Look at models from tier A, anything above 1000w will be fine. You could probably get away with 850W, although you would be cutting it close. 

Edit: I didn't realise you were putting in two GPUs. My bad!

thanks for the info I am going to be using this pc to game but also mine during the day when im in shool. 

4 hours ago, AnotherGlenn said:

I will defiantly have to look for a 1000w power supply. do you think its necessary to get platinum or would gold be good enough???

4 hours ago, AnotherGlenn said:

I was looking at the prices between corsairs 1000w gold and platinum PSUs and they are bitterly the same price. that doesn't make much sense.

here is what I was looking at

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/hxi-series-2017-config/p/CP-9020139-NA

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-Advanced/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020094-NA

There are psu supply issues which has affected pricing.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

16 hours ago, Jonnyd1000 said:

I will defiantly have to look for a 1000w power supply. do you think its necessary to get platinum or would gold be good enough???

Gold should be good enough, depends on what efficiency you are after, and how the PSU itself is built. 

Yes, prices are kinda stupid right now, nothing we can do about it. If you are based in the US, you might find some good deals, but if you find a Corsair AX series PSU at a good price, I would go for it. However, usually parts that are in stock are expensive.