PSU annoying coil whine

Arcalian

Hello guys, 
I built my computer a few months ago and was experiencing a high pitched noise coming from the psu either the pc was on or off even with the switch of the psu turned off. After a few words with Seasonic support, they told me to send it back to amazon and get a new one. I got the new one but there's no difference, I'm still getting this terrible coil whine even when I turn the PSU switch off. When I switched the PSU I didn't switch the cables, I just unplugged it from the old PSU and plugged it back to the new one. Could it be that ? 
Specs :

R5 3600
B550 MSI MPG Gaming Plus
32Go DDR4
RTX 3070FE
Seasonic GX-650  

7 minutes ago, Arcalian said:

Hello guys, 
I built my computer a few months ago and was experiencing a high pitched noise coming from the psu either the pc was on or off even with the switch of the psu turned off. After a few words with Seasonic support, they told me to send it back to amazon and get a new one. I got the new one but there's no difference, I'm still getting this terrible coil whine even when I turn the PSU switch off. When I switched the PSU I didn't switch the cables, I just unplugged it from the old PSU and plugged it back to the new one. Could it be that ? 
Specs :

R5 3600
B550 MSI MPG Gaming Plus
32Go DDR4
RTX 3070FE
Seasonic GX-650  

You are running a few higher power components. (3070) Benchmarks recommend a 750W PSU. 

Also, on the PSU tier list (in my signature) it was discovered that higher end 3000 series GPU's do not work well with the GX- line from Seasonic.... I would return the PSU and get a different one entirely.

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

17 minutes ago, MarvintheParrot said:

You are running a few higher power components. (3070) Benchmarks recommend a 750W PSU. 

Also, on the PSU tier list (in my signature) it was discovered that higher end 3000 series GPU's do not work well with the GX- line from Seasonic.... I would return the PSU and get a different one entirely.

Username is pretty fitting given 650w is wattage wise fine for a R5 3600 + 3070 and Seasonic's refresh with FX/FM/Focus PX into GM/GX/Focus PX V2 fixed those improperly handled transient problems. 

28 minutes ago, Arcalian said:

Hello guys, 
Specs :

R5 3600
B550 MSI MPG Gaming Plus
32Go DDR4
RTX 3070FE
Seasonic GX-650  

Typically if you get a replacement, you should replace the entire of the product's ecosystem (in this case, cables). After that, if you don't want to go through the below, just get another unit. It might be even possible Seasonic sent you back the same exact unit as you once had.

However, it is puzzling to me for why there is coil whine coming from the component even when the unit is off...Excess electricity should at least drain to some capacitors (of which if any coil whine is there, it is near impossible to hear). Have you tried switching the unit off, hitting the power button a few times, and then observing what has happened?

Usually coil whine in a PSU-on-but-PC-off is the residuals in the 5VSB coil. You can try booting up the rig, opening a game/power stress test, turning off any RGB lights, and unplugging your USB devices and see if it changes...

2 hours ago, Arcalian said:

Hello guys, 
I built my computer a few months ago and was experiencing a high pitched noise coming from the psu either the pc was on or off even with the switch of the psu turned off. After a few words with Seasonic support, they told me to send it back to amazon and get a new one. I got the new one but there's no difference, I'm still getting this terrible coil whine even when I turn the PSU switch off. 

Seasonic GX-650  

That's normal in most cases.

The X and Y caps are installed pre-switch.  So even with the switch off, they're still energized.

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/technical-articles/safety-capacitor-class-x-and-class-y-capacitors/

What you're hearing is the metalized film that's rolled up in the X capacitor vibrating as it's energized.

This COULD be caused by your mains.  But the only way to know for sure is to take your PC to a completely different location and see if it still makes the noise there. 

2 hours ago, MarvintheParrot said:

Thanks for your answer, I actually fast checked this list before buying, and the gx seemed a good choice according to the list. 
For the power consumption, I used the seasonic calculator and it told me that a 650w would be fine. I don't have any power issue tho, the system is running very well and get normal in-game performances except for sometimes it seems that my graphic card/driver has issues; for exemple it happens that windows boot in a weird resolution and I have to switch it back to normal.

1 hour ago, ForwardVoltage said:

Username is pretty fitting given 650w is wattage wise fine for a R5 3600 + 3070 and Seasonic's refresh with FX/FM/Focus PX into GM/GX/Focus PX V2 fixed those improperly handled transient problems. 

Typically if you get a replacement, you should replace the entire of the product's ecosystem (in this case, cables). After that, if you don't want to go through the below, just get another unit. It might be even possible Seasonic sent you back the same exact unit as you once had.

However, it is puzzling to me for why there is coil whine coming from the component even when the unit is off...Excess electricity should at least drain to some capacitors (of which if any coil whine is there, it is near impossible to hear). Have you tried switching the unit off, hitting the power button a few times, and then observing what has happened?

Usually coil whine in a PSU-on-but-PC-off is the residuals in the 5VSB coil. You can try booting up the rig, opening a game/power stress test, turning off any RGB lights, and unplugging your USB devices and see if it changes...

Yes, that's what i'm concerned the most. I don't mind a noisy pc while gaming or doing heavy tasks but I can't understand why it's whining all night long even with the PSU switch off. For the return, I made sure to get the new PSU before sending back mine, I have experience with amazon 😆. What's funny is that there is no difference in sound when the rig is turned off, in idle or in heavy usage, always the same periodical high pitched noise. I'll try what you suggested this evening thanks again !

2 hours ago, Arcalian said:

When I switched the PSU I didn't switch the cables, I just unplugged it from the old PSU and plugged it back to the new one.

You mean you didn't use the cables that came with the Seasonic PSU? Coil whine or not, that's not something that you're supposed to do! 

22 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

That's normal in most cases.

The X and Y caps are installed pre-switch.  So even with the switch off, they're still energized.

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/technical-articles/safety-capacitor-class-x-and-class-y-capacitors/

What you're hearing is the metalized film that's rolled up in the X capacitor vibrating as it's energized.

This COULD be caused by your mains.  But the only way to know for sure is to take your PC to a completely different location and see if it still makes the noise there. 

Interesting, i'll plug it to another outlet to try.

7 minutes ago, boghubodaghi said:

You mean you didn't use the cables that came with the Seasonic PSU? Coil whine or not, that's not something that you're supposed to do! 

Since it was the exact same PSU and I had trouble to unplug the 24pin I tought I could just keep the old cables and send back the first PSU with the new's one cables, and just plug the old cables to the new PSU maybe it wasn't a good idea ☹️

35 minutes ago, Arcalian said:

Interesting, i'll plug it to another outlet to try.

Another outlet?  Useless.

Another circuit within the same house (not on the same breaker)?  Maybe.

Another building?  Worth a shot.