Transitioning from FreeNAS to Unraid or other for VM GPU Passthrough

Please and thank you before I start, any help appreciated and if this exists else where and isn't 1-3 years old, point me at it. Also If this would be better suited somewhere else, point me there too.

I want to transition from FreeNAS to something more capable, as I need GPU pass through for a VM, but I literally barely know how to use FreeNAS. I have managed to set it up how I like and the less difficult the transition, the better. I understand that I may need to rebuild my arrays from scratch. I understand I will have to redo the iocage/jails/plugins that FreeNAS currently has “perfectly” setup.

I guess, first question: Can I move a real FreeNAS install, to a VM FreeNAS in an Unraid install?

Second question: Do I need to move them, couldn’t I just point to the USB as a boot drive and it would just “work”? Or no?

Question the third: Does someone have step by step instructions for me to follow?

Fourth: Is my server powerful enough? It handles FreeNAS fine, but the dinky VM I currently use, feels so under powered. Allocated 4 cores and 8gb of ram.

And the last question: If not Unraid, then what? Cost for Unraid is not unreasonable for a setup that is better than my experience with FreeNAS. Ie zero data loss in 4 years, but countless plugin rebuilds. For some reason eventually they just didn’t work properly anymore, and an upgrade of FreeNAS and new installs of plugins was a major hassle, but doable.

Requirements

I’d like to add an RTX2070 for VM use and set up a VM. Also if I have to rebuild from scratch, set up either 16x4TB-(2x4TB)=~56TB for 2 drive failure, or 16x4TB-(4x4TB)=~48TB for 4 drive failure.

Current Server Configuration:

Software

OS = FreeNAS 11.3-U5

Plugins = Plex Pass, Sonarr, Radarr, MineOS

VM = Ubuntu 18.04, running PIA and Transmission

Hardware

CPU = 2x Intel Xeon X5675 @ 3.07GHz

RAM = 6x SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx4 PC3L-10600R-9 DDR3 1333 ECC 

Motherboard = ASUS Z8NA-D6C

HBA = 2x SAS 9211-8i

Boot USB RAID 1 = 2x Toshiba 32GB

Pool: System RAID 1 ZFS = 2x 2TB WD RED

Pool: NAS RAIDZ2 ZFS = 16x 4TB WD RED

Case = Chenbro RM41416 4U Rackmount

Power Supply = 3x Emacs MX1-5375p 375W (in n+1 Redundancy)

Cooler = 2x Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer C

Edited by DR4GONSTEAR
Apparently using bold and italics made the post unreadable in dark mode.

please edit your post, select all and click remove format (Tx next to the smiley face).

as people with dark mode can't see the text.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w