Disabling Auto Overclock?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help me disable the auto overclock settings on my system.

My temps are between 55 and 60 C on average, and start climbing to 80 C as soon as I run any game.

Clock speed is always +4 GHz due to the settings in the BIOS I think. I believe the settings are overkill and causing my temps to rise.

I've tried going into the BIOS to "disable" the auto overclock, but it's not as easy as it sounds. For someone without any background like me at least.

I tried going over chapter 3 in the motherboard manual but I couldn't figure out what I need to change exactly.

Manual link: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII_FORMULA/E15393_ROG_CROSSHAIR_VIII_FORMULA_UM_WEB.pdf

Looking forward to get some feedback.

SPECS:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor Purchased For 3400.00Dh
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard Purchased For 2500.00Dh
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive Purchased For 1000.00Dh
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive Purchased For 1000.00Dh
Video Card XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT 16 GB Speedster MERC 319 Ultra Video Card Purchased For 5500.00Dh
Case Asus GX601 ATX Full Tower Case Purchased For 1190.00Dh
Power Supply Asus 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For 1490.00Dh
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit Purchased For 754.06Dh
Monitor Asus ROG Strix XG27UQ 27.0" 3840x2160 144 Hz Monitor Purchased For 4200.00Dh
Keyboard Logitech G815 Lightsync RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard Purchased For 570.00Dh
Mouse Logitech G402 Wired Optical Mouse Purchased For 199.00Dh
Custom F4-3200C14Q-128GTZR Purchased
Custom ProSiphon Elite Purchased
Custom XBOX Elite Series 2 Controller Purchased
Custom Razer Seiren Mini Microphone Purchased
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $0.00
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-01 07:12 EST-0500  

Your link doesn't work with your system specifications. image.thumb.png.1d2da7e025049bab4e70bdc1edfab357.png

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

80c is totally fine tho. What is your cooler? Do you mean cpu boosting as in at idle it's chilling below 2ghz but the moment you do anything it boosts up or did you mean it's permanently stuck at the exact same clockspeed?

2 minutes ago, malawar said:

Fixed it - thanks!

Awesome, also thank you for posting the manual, you rock!

Ok, so have you tried to set [Ai Overclock Tuner] inside the BIOS to [Default]?? Do you have DOCP enabled at all?? I see you have the ProSiphon Elite as your CPU cooler. 

Do you know if the BIOS on the motherboard supports the 5950X out of the box??? Or did you already update it to support it?

What are the CPU frequencies like?? They can also just be boosting under loads that cause the temperatures to spike. Have you checked to make sure the CPU cooler is properly mounted?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Go to power option and select Balanced instead of Ryzen balanced, it will clock down your cpu to 30% when idle / low load.

Or if you want more, select power safer, this option downclock my 2600 to 550 mhz and only 11w of power.

image.png.8342cd71849fb1045dddf2f8c1a80d11.png

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

37 minutes ago, jaslion said:

80c is totally fine tho.

It is? I thought that was crazy high. My perspective is based on what I saw on the Ryzen Master software. It said something like 90C MAX around the temperature view. I've since uninstalled that software thinking it might also be auto-overclocking.

39 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Do you mean cpu boosting as in at idle it's chilling below 2ghz but the moment you do anything it boosts up or did you mean it's permanently stuck at the exact same clockspeed?

On the task manager performance, the clock speed is always fluctuating between 3.9 to 4.3 or something like that. It's almost never under 4 GHz though. Even now with nothing other than this browser page open.

40 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

have you tried to set [Ai Overclock Tuner] inside the BIOS to [Default]

It is on default. If it set it to auto I think it will give me a stronger overclock. The difference between the settings isn't explained very well.

41 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Do you have DOCP enabled at all??

Not sure what this is. Currently googling. Should it be enabled?

42 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Do you know if the BIOS on the motherboard supports the 5950X out of the box??? Or did you already update it to support it?

I had to update the bios prior to posting. Everything works fine. I'm just now starting to realize the temperatures since I've been using the system more often

43 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

What are the CPU frequencies like?? They can also just be boosting under loads that cause the temperatures to spike. Have you checked to make sure the CPU cooler is properly mounted?

Clockspeed is always over the base of 3.4. I thought clockspeeds are supposed to be constant, but it's always fluctuating between 3.9 and 4.3. I've never seen it around the base clock speed even when the system is idle. I'm positive the cooler is properly mounted. Took my time with it lol.

31 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Go to power option and select Balanced instead of Ryzen balanced, it will clock down your cpu to 30% when idle / low load.

Or if you want more, select power safer, this option downclock my 2600 to 550 mhz and only 11w of power.

image.png.8342cd71849fb1045dddf2f8c1a80d11.png

Ah?! Even this will change how my CPU performs? I thought this option was just for laptops to be honest.

Mine is on High Performance. I just changed it to balanced but the clock speed didn't change? Maybe I need to restart.

image.png.38e6312ccaf8e4982de9ccb9c0ec7ff7.png

1 minute ago, malawar said:

It is on default. If it set it to auto I think it will give me a stronger overclock. The difference between the settings isn't explained very well.

Not sure what this is. Currently googling. Should it be enabled?

I had to update the bios prior to posting. Everything works fine. I'm just now starting to realize the temperatures since I've been using the system more often

Clockspeed is always over the base of 3.4. I thought clockspeeds are supposed to be constant, but it's always fluctuating between 3.9 and 4.3. I've never seen it around the base clock speed even when the system is idle. I'm positive the cooler is properly mounted. Took my time with it lol.

Auto will probably use ASUS BIOS settings for Ryzen chips to overclock higher. Pretty much an easy overclock button. 

DOCP will set your DRAM frequencies to the rated specs, DDR4-3200. Right now, you are probably running at 2133MHz, which is the standard for DDR4. Pretty much free performance left on the table if you do not have this enabled. 

I'm starting to think temperatures are reasonable with this chip. They tend to also run hot and you have 16 cores to cool off. 

While yes, the baseclock is 3.4GHz on the 5950X. The 5950X has a max clock speed of up to 4.9GHz. The base clock is a guarantee that you will achieve this speed, for as long as you are not thermal throttling due to a bad CPU cooler mount. The max clock speed is just a turbo speed. Anything between 3.4-4.9GHz is a turbo boost, which depends on the load and thermal headroom before reaching Tjmax. Also, the 4.9GHz frequency may be just a single-core turbo boost, which won't be an all core turbo boost. 

Ryzen balanced / High performance will clock your cpu to the max allowed, so it will use the boost most of the time.

Windows balanced will clock lower than baseclock if needed.

Power saver will clock it even lower (i don't know how i got this mode, it just suddenly appear couple of months ago).

I install power switcher for quick switching on the taskbar https://github.com/Petrroll/PowerSwitcher.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

• 6 months later...

Guys, you are not (you did not) answering his question. Anyway I think he already fixed it, but just to make it really crystal clear, here you are:

It is nothing to do with Windows Power section (balanced, performance, etc...)

I have a dark hero motherboard with a ryzen 9 5900x installed.

Out of the box, the motherboard is set to default, supporting 5000 series CPUs, and everything is on Auto.

It means that is AUTOmatically overclocking already, so he is in the same boat as me.

He wanted to turn that Auto off so his CPU is not longer overclocked, just running at stock base clock, not boost clock (or higher). Because there are so many options on Auto, it is really hard to "guess" which one of those would turn the overclocking off without affecting everything else.

Instructions:

Well, my friend, just turn Core Performance Boost off (disable it) - you will find it in the Extreme Tweaker menu. (That's it)

You can also select your actual memory frequency, and where you read FCLK Frequency just type half of that, so if you have 3600, then type 1800. Just to make sure that the BIOS is not also overclocking your memory.