Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am designing and building a SFF PC and space is at a premium. I don't have enough space to put a standard size cooler on the CPU (i5, i7 series, undecided at present) and I don't have anywhere to put a rad and they are too big for the case anyway. I have been looking at how laptops are cooled and thought that using heat pipes to cool the cpu would solve the space issue but I don't have any idea on what it would take to make a custom cooler. I will have a Gigabyte B365M mb and a thermal master 500w psu (for now) and I was just gifted with a Gigabyte GTX 1660 6G. The overall dimensions of the case are 12" x 12" x 10" lxwxh. I plan to raise the MB up 25mm to put the ssd/Sata hdd under it and use it for cable management. The case has slots in each side to put a 8 x 10 x 3/16 acrylic side panels. See pics. Any thoughts on how to proceed or how to make a custom heat pipe setup?

20210228_132335.jpg

20210228_132314.jpg

20210228_132241.jpg

CPU > heat pipe > metal frame would give you a fairly large surface area. Adding some fins to the frame and a fan might do the trick.

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

11 minutes ago, BScottRockr said:

I am designing and building a SFF PC and space is at a premium. I don't have enough space to put a standard size cooler on the CPU (i5, i7 series, undecided at present) and I don't have anywhere to put a rad and they are too big for the case anyway. I have been looking at how laptops are cooled and thought that using heat pipes to cool the cpu would solve the space issue but I don't have any idea on what it would take to make a custom cooler. I will have a Gigabyte B365M mb and a thermal master 500w psu (for now) and I was just gifted with a Gigabyte GTX 1660 6G. The overall dimensions of the case are 12" x 12" x 10" lxwxh. I plan to raise the MB up 25mm to put the ssd/Sata hdd under it and use it for cable management. The case has slots in each side to put a 8 x 10 x 3/16 acrylic side panels. See pics. Any thoughts on how to proceed or how to make a custom heat pipe setup?

20210228_132335.jpg

20210228_132314.jpg

20210228_132241.jpg

You can buy straight heatpipes and bend them yourself to fit your case. Remember that you will need to have a way for them to make contact with the cpu as well, so you will have to design that part too. If you know your way around 3d modelling software, that should not be an issue. However, having one made can get pretty expensive unless you have access to a CNC as well.

27 minutes ago, BScottRockr said:

I'd recommend you to look at the Streacom DB4 for some inspiration, or even better, just get a streacom DB4? I think its non-trivial to get this working without frying components that aren't making good contact with a janky heatpipe cooler.

https://streacom.com/products/db4-fanless-chassis/

db4-000-180-open.jpg

2 hours ago, Applefreak said:

You can buy straight heatpipes and bend them yourself to fit your case. Remember that you will need to have a way for them to make contact with the cpu as well, so you will have to design that part too. If you know your way around 3d modelling software, that should not be an issue. However, having one made can get pretty expensive unless you have access to a CNC as well.

I was actually thinking of getting a pack of 220mm x 12mm x 5mm(flattened) straight heat pipes and doing exactly as you mentioned. As it happens, I am a CAD drafter and I have a degree in graphic design with a specialty in 3D animation. 

I appreciate the feedback. There is a reason I am using what I am. I don't have an income right now and I'm building this on virtually no budget. I plan to upgrade components later when I don't have to worry about cost so much. As for now, I'm using what have available and that frame was free. So far I have $37 all in. If I leave the top open, I dont have to worry about cooler clearance so much but that would defeat the purpose of a SFF build.

13 hours ago, BScottRockr said:

The overall dimensions of the case are 12" x 12" x 10" lxwxh.

That's SFF now? 😄

I have a hard time thinking you can't fit a standard mid-size cooler in that...

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2