M.2 Self-Encrypting Drives

DelavorexIndustries

M.2 memory has become the best option for moving between systems in my house. My thin and light laptops sometimes do not support a 2.5" drive, and they're easy to store. That being said, I have just acquired a mushkin pilot-e drive, and as of now it performs great. Does the self encryption have a lifetime performance impact?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Normally the self encryption drives don't have a performance impact, but Id leave it off. If you need encryption, let the os hanlde it.

is there a reason to let the OS handle it? I was under the impression that using the drive over the OS would create less performance impact, as well as more stability.

1 minute ago, DelavorexIndustries said:

is there a reason to let the OS handle it? I was under the impression that using the drive over the OS would create less performance impact, as well as more stability.

There have been a lot of cases of drive makers doing it wrong and having security issues. Id just use bitlocker on windows for disk encryption. Performance will be basically the same in most use cases.

I'll keep that in mind, so far I haven't experienced any issues. I am curious to see how it affect it overtime as I use more of the drive and modify its sectors.