Problem not getting maximum Wi-Fi bandwidth

Enlapse

Hello there!

Since I bought my Gigabyte GC-WB1733D-I and installed it on my motherboard, I tried every single day to get the maximum Wi-Fi bandwidth that my Mi Router 4 Gigabit Edition router can handle which is 867Mbps on 5Ghz but I only get an average of 300Mbps through Speedtest.

Here is what I am using at the moment:

An antenna that has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth that is connected to my Gigabyte GC-WB1733D-I (both antenna and PCIe card came in the same box), which supposedly is capable of reaching 1733Mbps.

A Xiaomi Mi Router 4 (Gigabit Edition) which is connected with a CAT 5.6e ethernet cable to my main router (in their respective Gigabit port, I am using this router as a wired relay router on the second floor of my house, and the main router is in the first floor).

My default router which came with my interner subscription (its the MITRASTAR GPT-2541 GNAC, an spanish router from Movistar),

I had a 600Mbps suscription, but a couple of days ago I upgraded to 1Gbps, supposedly.

My motherboard is MSI H97 Mate (this one: https://es.msi.com/Motherboard/H97-PC-Mate )

So, I have my main router (MITRASTAR GPT-2541 GNAC) which is connected in the first floor of my house, that has plugged in a Gigabit port, a CAT5.6e cable that is connected to my Mi Router 4 Gigabit Edition router's gigabit port on the second floor. Then, on my computer which is one room away (about 5m from the router), I have a Gigabyte GC-WB1733D-I PCIe card with an antenna attached that makes my computer able to have Wi-Fi, and in my computer I am connected to the 5Ghz network of my Xiaomi Mi Router 4 Gigabit Edition router

The problem is, again, that I get an average of 300Mpbs on Speedtest when (if I didn't do anything wrong) I am supposed to get more than the double.

Any ideas of what I can do to improve my Wi-Fi?

Thank you very much!

What is the phy speed your connected at? What channel are you using? 

That speed is pretty normal, and you won't get anywhere near the rated max speeds on wifi, so this is fully expected

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What is the phy speed your connected at? What channel are you using? 

That speed is pretty normal, and you won't get anywhere near the rated max speeds on wifi, so this is fully expected

Sorry, but what do you mean with "phy speed"? "physical speed"? I am supposed to have a 1Gbps connection (or at least 600Mbps), and both routers are connected with a CAT5.6e cable in their respective Gigabit port.

I am actually using channel 64. I was using channel 161, but changed it to 64 so my Huawei P20 Lite and my Nintendo Switch could connect to the 5G network of my Xiaomi Mi Router 4 Gigabit Edition router.

Every channel that I get seems limited to 20Mhz instead of 80 or even 40Mhz of what it says in the 5Ghz list that's listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels 

The channels available in my configuration are: 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165.

I attach a screenshot of my full configuration page.

image.png

1 minute ago, Enlapse said:
12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Sorry, but what do you mean with "phy speed"? "physical speed"? I am supposed to have a 1Gbps connection (or at least 600Mbps), and both routers are connected with a CAT5.6e cable in their respective Gigabit port.

phy speed is the current connection speed. WIndows shows it in the network adapter properties. Its probalby 867mhz here.

4 minutes ago, Enlapse said:

Every channel that I get seems limited to 20Mhz instead of 80 or even 40Mhz of what it says in the 5Ghz list that's listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels 

The channels available in my configuration are: 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165.

running with 20m wide channels will limit your speed a good amount, but that settings seems to show its running at 80m currently.

I think that 300mbit is about what is expected for wifi and there isn't too much you can do without changing hardware or going with 160M channels.

18 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

phy speed is the current connection speed. WIndows shows it in the network adapter properties. Its probalby 867mhz here.

running with 20m wide channels will limit your speed a good amount, but that settings seems to show its running at 80m currently.

I think that 300mbit is about what is expected for wifi and there isn't too much you can do without changing hardware or going with 160M channels.

Yeah, that was exactly one of my doubts. Wikipedia says that those channels run at 20Mhz but the config says I can run it in 20, 40 or 80Mhz (which currently I have selected).

Well, I will look into it and perhaps purchase a better router. Thank you very much!

Just now, Enlapse said:

Yeah, that was exactly one of my doubts. Wikipedia says that those channels run at 20Mhz but the config says I can run it in 20, 40 or 80Mhz (which currently I have selected).

Well, I will look into it and perhaps purchase a better router. Thank you very much!

Or is there a way to run a cable? Can you run a cable through the wall? Would powerline or moca work here?

Can you do 160m wide channels.

Looks like it's just what it is capable of.

Wifi speed never performed as advertized, i wonder why.

At best you only have 1/2 of the rated speed.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Or is there a way to run a cable? Can you run a cable through the wall? Would powerline or moca work here?

Can you do 160m wide channels.

Best bet for max speed is to ALWAYS run ethernet or MoCa would work as well if you want to buy the adapters and etc if a cable run isn't feasible. 

System Specs: (Click Expand)                                              

"Beatrix"

• CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3D
  • Motherboard GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
  • RAM 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200mhz CL16
  • GPU Gigabyte Eagle RX 6700XT
  • Case Corsair Crystal 280x
  • Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro (1TB) 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) 1x Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
  • PSU EVGA G5 850W
  • Display(s) 27" Viewsonic XG2705
  • Cooling Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO | 4x QL120 RGB fans | 2x QL140 RGB fans
  • Keyboard Logitech G Pro
  • Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed /w Powerplay
  • Sound Logitech G Pro Wired
  • Operating System Windows 10 Professional 21H1