GPU Fan speed not detected

FraznoFire

Hi guys, I've got an MSI 1080ti gaming x trio, and recently moved house without disassembling my PC, and I've ran into an issue, the PC doesn't seem to be detecting the GPU Fan speeds, according to corsair icue it's always 0rpm, before the move the program had no problem reading the fan speed, this wouldn't be of any issue, except it has resulted in funny behaviour.. basically the card by default will only spin its fans if its temp is over 60, but what will end up happening is as soon as it hits 60, it will start blowing the fans at full speed, and will not stop until the PC is shut down. while I can still read the GPU temp and it is being cooled properly, it is very annoying having my PC sound like a jet turbine engine when browsing youtube, I tried reseating the smallets power cable going into the GPU assuming that's what powers the fans, but it doesn't seem to have fixed it. would anyone be able to suggest something else to troubleshoot it?

Have you tried to Install MSI Afterburner? It allows us to control your 1080 and my rx580 attached is my curve, I have it set like that as I'm using a MATX case and strong 120mm fans and my temps underload never creep past 60c with their fans barely being audible. 

IMG_20210227_000539831_HDR.jpg

21 hours ago, Chris Greene said:

Have you tried to Install MSI Afterburner? It allows us to control your 1080 and my rx580 attached is my curve, I have it set like that as I'm using a MATX case and strong 120mm fans and my temps underload never creep past 60c with their fans barely being audible. 

IMG_20210227_000539831_HDR.jpg

doesn't do anything, afterburner can't detect fan RPM either

8 hours ago, FraznoFire said:

doesn't do anything, afterburner can't detect fan RPM either

You're right but NZXT cam will show you your fan rpm or at least it should.

16 hours ago, Chris Greene said:

You're right but NZXT cam will show you your fan rpm or at least it should.

nothing is showing it at all. iCue, MSI, NZXT, NOTHING. its not a software problem, its a hardware problem, the only troubleshooting I undertook was to reseat the smallest power connector on the gpu, but on thinking about it I realise that has no significance, because the fans are getting power, the PC just can't read their speeds. what other troubleshooting methods are there.

7 hours ago, FraznoFire said:

nothing is showing it at all. iCue, MSI, NZXT, NOTHING. its not a software problem, its a hardware problem, the only troubleshooting I undertook was to reseat the smallest power connector on the gpu, but on thinking about it I realise that has no significance, because the fans are getting power, the PC just can't read their speeds. what other troubleshooting methods are there.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gpu-fans-spinning-but-not-detected.3292855/ sounds like its a motherboard/gpu issue like from this post.

On 3/2/2021 at 1:46 AM, Chris Greene said:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gpu-fans-spinning-but-not-detected.3292855/ sounds like its a motherboard/gpu issue like from this post.

mine's different, it's not a new computer, I've had it for nearly 4 years. nothing about it has changed except for the fact I drove it to a new house on a bumpy dirt road with the GPU in, and ever since, the gpu will not report its fan speed. what troubleshooting methods can I undertake, reseating the GPU?

• 3 months later...
On 3/5/2021 at 5:31 PM, FraznoFire said:

mine's different, it's not a new computer, I've had it for nearly 4 years. nothing about it has changed except for the fact I drove it to a new house on a bumpy dirt road with the GPU in, and ever since, the gpu will not report its fan speed. what troubleshooting methods can I undertake, reseating the GPU?

Have you found a fix ?? I just put brand new 6900xt in my pc and having exact same problem everything working fine but GPU fan speed not being detected by any software. GPU, hardware monitor msi after buner all show 0 rpm but I can see the fans running. 

• 8 months later...
On 6/11/2021 at 5:08 PM, Irtza Shahan said:

Have you found a fix ?? I just put brand new 6900xt in my pc and having exact same problem everything working fine but GPU fan speed not being detected by any software. GPU, hardware monitor msi after buner all show 0 rpm but I can see the fans running. 

Hi,

have one of you found a fix? I just installed a brand new 6800xt in my pc and having the exact same problem. Everything seems to work fine, but no software can detect the fan speed. Also, the fans seems to went from 0rpm mode to 100% which is quite loud and anoying.